Kick but cheap Shure SE cable upgrade
Jul 9, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #76 of 99
Just read Westone W60 review.

One thing you do have to keep in mind, something a lot of people don’t realize, is about the size of Westone mmcx connectors. It is true that Westone uses common mmcx type, but these are short profile connectors, not a standard size. As a result, you can use any mmcx based universal cable with Westone (new W-series or UM-series) IEMs, but you will not be able to use their Epic or G2 cable with other mmcx connector based IEMs, such as those from UE, JVC, Fidue, and others. For that reason, when you are looking into replacement custom cables, I would recommend to specify universal mmcx connector rather than W60 specific connector.

so would either of these (amazon.com):
Westone ADV Adventure Series 52 Inch Replacement Cable, Reflective, MFi Controls and Mic, 79171
Westone W-Series 52 Inch Replacement Round Cable with MFi Control and Mic for Earphones, 78506

fit snugly with se215? i see a single review in each one saying it works with the shure se series, but then here people are saying that the connections don't quite fit.

my ue900 cable i bought for use with my se215 broke and i am in the market for a new cable with a mic.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #79 of 99
nice! thanks for sharing!

I bought the earmax cable off of amazon and love it, but will definitely give these a try if my 215s are still alive the next time i need to change cables

your earmax cable, are the moldings at the Y-break, and 3.5mm jack moldings made of metal or a metal colored plastic? Looks like metal in the picture and I just wanna avoid having that in my pocket with my iphone 7. the dongle i need for lightning connection has the 3.5mm jack now swinging freely in my pocket.

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #81 of 99
all metal colored plastic

ugh i am really put off by the new iphone 7

Yeah, it's annoying for sure. I'm so deep in the Apple ecosystem though I just decided to jump now. They aren't bringing that jack back next year for sure. I imagine there will be some MMCX-to-Lightning audio cable replacments with inline controls/ dac soon. I just am getting antsy for a new cable from this 64 inch beast that came with my IEMs.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #82 of 99
Does the UE900 blue cable have the same issue as the westone cables, where the mmcx connectors are low profile? I've seen people just shave down the plastic from the housing around the connector tip a bit, using a box cutter, to get a better seated fit.

Is that possibly what's going on with the blue cable and people losing audio connection?

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #87 of 99
@syncopied, can you post a picture of your earmax cables with your attached iems? The colors on the amazon page seem a little off. are they the same kind of clear as the stock shure cables? how do the volume controls and mic work on it for you?

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #88 of 99
attaching pictures of my se215 with both the earmax and logitech ue900 cables

both fit well, i did not have sound issues with either, both listening and microphone use

they spun freely on the ue900 cable and were easy to put on and remove
they fit well but much more snugly on the earmax cable (gold colored), hard to spin around and very hard to remove (but easy to put on)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back