KICAS vs. PH100 vs. Head Direct EF1?
Sep 14, 2009 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Headphone will be Beyer DT990's or DT880's.

The KICAS gets great reviews and has a certain audiophile 'panache' - it's built by guys who understand audio. I'm not nuts about the whole 'there's two versions' thing, one 'with bass boost' and 'one without'. I suspect I'd get the stock unit, not the Caliente.

The PH100 is inexpensive, doesn't have a wall-wart (YEAH!), looks nice and is supposed to sound pretty good.

The EF1 is a dark horse, but it's supposed to sound very good as well. The tube is a nice option (for improving the sound). Looks nice, and is on sale.

Three good options here, I'm thinking. I wish I could just buy all three, but that would sort of kill the whole 'I'm buying a good budget amp' idea!

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 5
I have not heard the PH100 but have owned the Kicas Caliente for sometime now. Terrific amp. Makes my HD600 and CD3000 sing !

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone will be Beyer DT990's or DT880's.

Three good options here, I'm thinking. I wish I could just buy all three, but that would sort of kill the whole 'I'm buying a good budget amp' idea!

All comments and suggestions welcome.

The idea of buying a budget amp had been in mind for several times. Have owned three of such kind amps by now. The total expense would be same as pretty good one. Will go for any of the three when the "idea" pop up again. Good luck

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the PH100 but have owned the Kicas Caliente for sometime now. Terrific amp. Makes my HD600 and CD3000 sing !

x2, No experience w/the Shanling & I also own a Caliente. It really is just a touch warm of neutral, not "bass boosted" at all IMO. Has excellent frequency extension, beautiful mids, & a 3-D soundstage w/remarkable transparency. Really has great synergy w/K501s, DT531s, AD900, & easily drives K240 M 600 Ohms no problem. Great all-around amp, I would highly recommend. Good Luck.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back