Khadas Tone2 Pro: Mini Desktop DAC with built-in Headphone Amplifier
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #226 of 245
Better late than never, so here's our Tone 2 Pro review. An article by @Aerosphere
https://www.headfonia.com/khadas-tone2-pro-review/
khadas-tone2-review3.jpg

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #230 of 245
Finally I got mine, and gave it a portable power bank so that i can use it as portable DAC. I had the Hip Dac, but tone2 pro is far better in sound clarity and detail. I will try some filters to see which one best fit me. Anyone have detail description on their digital filters?
I am really look forward to its bluetooth module.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #231 of 245
@koopig I haven't bothered with any of the filters tbh. I think the flat/default filter is what I've been riding for the most part and have had zero complaints.

@Effigy great song, thank you for the shout out. This one is an all time favorite of mine and highlights some of the separation the tone 2 can offer.

I know using this as an output for iOS devices has come up here a bit. I know the main recommendation is using that lightning camera adapter then usb A to usb C into tone 2. I also saw someone post a pic of using what looked like a lightning to usb c cable straight into tone 2. I can't get the stock lightning to usb c cable I've got to work. Just trying to test out the water a bit before trying to use this in a hotel or on a plane.

Is there a specific lightning to usb c cable I should be looking for?

Also, I've been trying to push my Aeon RT's via the Tone 2 alone and seem to get some distortion at higher volume. I'm going out of the 4.4mm to an xlr adapter to the xlr dummer cable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this potentially get cleaned up using a linear/better dedicated power supply?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #232 of 245
@koopig I haven't bothered with any of the filters tbh. I think the flat/default filter is what I've been riding for the most part and have had zero complaints.

@Effigy great song, thank you for the shout out. This one is an all time favorite of mine and highlights some of the separation the tone 2 can offer.

I know using this as an output for iOS devices has come up here a bit. I know the main recommendation is using that lightning camera adapter then usb A to usb C into tone 2. I also saw someone post a pic of using what looked like a lightning to usb c cable straight into tone 2. I can't get the stock lightning to usb c cable I've got to work. Just trying to test out the water a bit before trying to use this in a hotel or on a plane.

Is there a specific lightning to usb c cable I should be looking for?

Also, I've been trying to push my Aeon RT's via the Tone 2 alone and seem to get some distortion at higher volume. I'm going out of the 4.4mm to an xlr adapter to the xlr dummer cable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this potentially get cleaned up using a linear/better dedicated power supply?

You are quite welcome @nodemms - happy to share.

I wish I could give you even anecdotal insight into why you are experiencing distortion. Since day 1, I have balanced RCA out to my Drop THX 789 and not looked back. As I am using it, the Tone 2 Pro is a pure DAC. Have you validated you are on at least the 1.2 firmware?

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #233 of 245
@Effigy I actually just updated firmware to 1.3 and the issue remains. I also typically run it in the same pure dac fashion you mention going balanced to an THX 887. I've only been experimenting a bit in case I decide to change things up a bit.

I've recently ordered the 7HZ Timeless IEM's and am looking forward to testing them out both on the Tone 2 alone and the 887.
7HZ Timeless IEM's

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #234 of 245
@Effigy I actually just updated firmware to 1.3 and the issue remains. I also typically run it in the same pure dac fashion you mention going balanced to an THX 887. I've only been experimenting a bit in case I decide to change things up a bit.

I've recently ordered the 7HZ Timeless IEM's and am looking forward to testing them out both on the Tone 2 alone and the 887.
7HZ Timeless IEM's
I should also note that since day 1, I have been running dedicated low noise, linear power.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #238 of 245
I have been using the Tone2 Pro for a few days. I associated it with a 5V / 3A RASPBERRY PI power supply.
I find that it makes my Fidelio X2HR "singing" well, with very good dynamics and details. A sound that I would qualify as natural.

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #239 of 245
I have been using the Tone2 Pro for a few days. I associated it with a 5V / 3A RASPBERRY PI power supply.
I find that it makes my Fidelio X2HR "singing" well, with very good dynamics and details. A sound that I would qualify as natural.
Hi, was curious if you could note a difference between use of an external power source versus not? (I think a majority of users in the Khadas forums weren't able to note a significant difference)

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #240 of 245
I confirm that I do not notice any difference with or without a dedicated power supply.
The use of an external power supply was more in order to prevent possible interferences.
In practice and for my own use, I don't think this is essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back