KG Megatron vs KG Stax T2
Oct 13, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #31 of 40
Some more amplifier comparison (KGSSHV Carbon, Megatron and the upcoming Soren Brix Ki)

Typical listening sessions were 2 hours or longer, having always 2 or 3 amplifier in line, so level matching was easy. Mostly in use was the initially mentioned source setup (Singxer SU6 => Musetec MH DA005), sometimes I changed the Musetec to Teac UD701n or Questyle CMA600i.

Carbon
I had the KGSSHV Carbon for about 5 weeks. This Carbon is the (typical) full size version, running on 400 V rails and with GR power supply for LV and HV, build by Soren (Vishay/Dale resistors and silver wiring applied).
I perceived its tonality as neutral/straight, offering very good resolution all across the board with good clarity/transparency. The bass is deep and tight with very good “speed” and precision. Treble is precise, not too incisive or “sharp”. Overall tonality in this comparison is on the leaner side, in general I would call it neutral. Presentation of the stage is good, maybe more wide than deep. For me I could confirm what many stated before, that it is a very good amplifier.

During my various listening sessions I was of course not always “actively” comparing the amps, after some point I tend to just plug the headphone into what I like best and stick with it. Rarely I finished listening with the Carbon, but why?

Synergy: One point seems to be its tonality. I little leaner (lets say “neutral”) on the amp side plus a little leaner on most of my HP (307, 009, 009S, X9000) results in something what I seem to prefer less. A certain amount of richness/warmth in the sound is what makes these estats so enjoyable for me and with Carbon this synergy is missing to some extend (certainly not to the extend as e.g. with my trusty SRM323S though). Headphones with already warm timbre like 007MK1 or Sigma/404 (where treble is somehow subdued) suit IMO much better with Carbon.

Another aspect is more difficult to describe for me. With Carbon there is in comparison a certain “dryness” in the sound which I think cannot be explained just with it being leaner sounding than certain other amps. Especially the mids and treble I do not enjoy as on the other amps. The mids seem to be not as engaging, treble is precise, but does not shine. The hole musical presentation does not involve me as e.g. on a Megatron, T2 – or on the mockup of Soren´s Ki. This impression remained when I changed the source to e.g. the Teac or Questyle DAC.

Megatron (with Telefunkens in 1st and 2nd stage) in comparison has a little less tight bass, a bit softer overall nature, and the treble is very slightly subdued in comparison. But the treble sounds very airy, refined, offering about the same resolution as Carbon. The mids are very rich and are overall more full and “colourful”, in the end natural sounding. The bass, it is just bigger as the lower frequencies in general are slightly enforced. It easily makes me toe-tapping. Finally the stage, it is bigger in all directions than on Carbon.

Megatron matches very well with 307/009/009S/X9000. Borderline for best synergy are IMO the 007s. My 007A I still prefer with Megatron and I say it’s a good match, while Carbon and 007MK1 might have better synergy.

And now there will be the so called Ki. Soren asked me whether I would be interested in trying an amplifier, as I would have Carbon, Megatron and T2 for comparison. He said listening to this new amplifier would remind him of the T2, but it would be much easier to build. Well, really?! Of course I was interested!

It is about an all solid state amplifier, HV running on 400 V, in a housing that is not yet but will be smaller than his full size Carbon (450x400x100). Technical questions about the circuit should be addressed directly to @soren_brix , I do not like to run the risk giving BS answers based on my half knowledge. Same about the release date and the price. At this point I do not know how much it will be.

Since 6 weeks the Soren Ki is now playing here. Although some finetuning of the circuit is ongoing I can already state that IMO this is a killer amp!

Overall timbre is very clean and balanced, almost as warm as on Megatron, including the “reinforcing” effect of the lower frequencies. Bass is deep, precision similar to Carbon and almost as “full” sounding as on Megatron. The mids and treble are slightly more transparent then Megatron´s, very lifelike and open, missing exactly this “dryness”, what I noticed on Carbon. Treble is a little more pronounced compared to Megatron and very natural sounding. There is even a little tube like sparkle. Overall resolution is outstanding. Stage size is between Carbon and Megatron I would say, the ability of locating instruments and voices is very convincing.

Power/headroom is definitely enough, a 007 can be driven to unhealthy levels, my ears distort earlier than reaching a limit of the hardware.

Talking about synergy is easy, IMO it fits great to all the mentioned headphones, including 007MK1 and MK2. What can I say, I do not find any drawbacks. Well, there is one, you cannot stare on tubes when listening 😉 I think Ki exceeds Megatron in partial aspects like transparency and bass precision, without really sacrificing something else. Megatron might have slightly the edge when talking about effortless music “flow”, how a complete image of the music is presented (stage is bigger). It is still all tube vs all SS, and that might be more of a personal preference. For me, Ki covers the good aspects of Carbon and betters it overall by quite a margin. I think it indeed is close to my T2 in overall performance. Depending on the tube choice T2 brings still some more to the table (energetic with superb dynamics, exciting mids, stage with Reflektor tubes), but yah, we are in territory of diminishing returns.

Well done, Soren! I hope that Ki can be offered affordable so that nothing stands in the way of its widespread use.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #32 of 40
Some more amplifier comparison (KGSSHV Carbon, Megatron and the upcoming Soren Brix Ki)

Typical listening sessions were 2 hours or longer, having always 2 or 3 amplifier in line, so level matching was easy. Mostly in use was the initially mentioned source setup (Singxer SU6 => Musetec MH DA005), sometimes I changed the Musetec to Teac UD701n or Questyle CMA600i.

Carbon
I had the KGSSHV Carbon for about 5 weeks. This Carbon is the (typical) full size version, running on 400 V rails and with GR power supply for LV and HV, build by Soren (Vishay/Dale resistors and silver wiring applied).
I perceived its tonality as neutral/straight, offering very good resolution all across the board with good clarity/transparency. The bass is deep and tight with very good “speed” and precision. Treble is precise, not too incisive or “sharp”. Overall tonality in this comparison is on the leaner side, in general I would call it neutral. Presentation of the stage is good, maybe more wide than deep. For me I could confirm what many stated before, that it is a very good amplifier.

During my various listening sessions I was of course not always “actively” comparing the amps, after some point I tend to just plug the headphone into what I like best and stick with it. Rarely I finished listening with the Carbon, but why?

Synergy: One point seems to be its tonality. I little leaner (lets say “neutral”) on the amp side plus a little leaner on most of my HP (307, 009, 009S, X9000) results in something what I seem to prefer less. A certain amount of richness/warmth in the sound is what makes these estats so enjoyable for me and with Carbon this synergy is missing to some extend (certainly not to the extend as e.g. with my trusty SRM323S though). Headphones with already warm timbre like 007MK1 or Sigma/404 (where treble is somehow subdued) suit IMO much better with Carbon.

Another aspect is more difficult to describe for me. With Carbon there is in comparison a certain “dryness” in the sound which I think cannot be explained just with it being leaner sounding than certain other amps. Especially the mids and treble I do not enjoy as on the other amps. The mids seem to be not as engaging, treble is precise, but does not shine. The hole musical presentation does not involve me as e.g. on a Megatron, T2 – or on the mockup of Soren´s Ki. This impression remained when I changed the source to e.g. the Teac or Questyle DAC.

Megatron (with Telefunkens in 1st and 2nd stage) in comparison has a little less tight bass, a bit softer overall nature, and the treble is very slightly subdued in comparison. But the treble sounds very airy, refined, offering about the same resolution as Carbon. The mids are very rich and are overall more full and “colourful”, in the end natural sounding. The bass, it is just bigger as the lower frequencies in general are slightly enforced. It easily makes me toe-tapping. Finally the stage, it is bigger in all directions than on Carbon.

Megatron matches very well with 307/009/009S/X9000. Borderline for best synergy are IMO the 007s. My 007A I still prefer with Megatron and I say it’s a good match, while Carbon and 007MK1 might have better synergy.

And now there will be the so called Ki. Soren asked me whether I would be interested in trying an amplifier, as I would have Carbon, Megatron and T2 for comparison. He said listening to this new amplifier would remind him of the T2, but it would be much easier to build. Well, really?! Of course I was interested!

It is about an all solid state amplifier, HV running on 400 V, in a housing that is not yet but will be smaller than his full size Carbon (450x400x100). Technical questions about the circuit should be addressed directly to @soren_brix , I do not like to run the risk giving BS answers based on my half knowledge. Same about the release date and the price. At this point I do not know how much it will be.

Since 6 weeks the Soren Ki is now playing here. Although some finetuning of the circuit is ongoing I can already state that IMO this is a killer amp!

Overall timbre is very clean and balanced, almost as warm as on Megatron, including the “reinforcing” effect of the lower frequencies. Bass is deep, precision similar to Carbon and almost as “full” sounding as on Megatron. The mids and treble are slightly more transparent then Megatron´s, very lifelike and open, missing exactly this “dryness”, what I noticed on Carbon. Treble is a little more pronounced compared to Megatron and very natural sounding. There is even a little tube like sparkle. Overall resolution is outstanding. Stage size is between Carbon and Megatron I would say, the ability of locating instruments and voices is very convincing.

Power/headroom is definitely enough, a 007 can be driven to unhealthy levels, my ears distort earlier than reaching a limit of the hardware.

Talking about synergy is easy, IMO it fits great to all the mentioned headphones, including 007MK1 and MK2. What can I say, I do not find any drawbacks. Well, there is one, you cannot stare on tubes when listening 😉 I think Ki exceeds Megatron in partial aspects like transparency and bass precision, without really sacrificing something else. Megatron might have slightly the edge when talking about effortless music “flow”, how a complete image of the music is presented (stage is bigger). It is still all tube vs all SS, and that might be more of a personal preference. For me, Ki covers the good aspects of Carbon and betters it overall by quite a margin. I think it indeed is close to my T2 in overall performance. Depending on the tube choice T2 brings still some more to the table (energetic with superb dynamics, exciting mids, stage with Reflektor tubes), but yah, we are in territory of diminishing returns.

Well done, Soren! I hope that Ki can be offered affordable so that nothing stands in the way of its widespread use.

Exciting stuff.
I believe that the Ki is based on a Takeshi circuit replacing the Carbon driver and a modified Circlotron output stage. I had asked Soren about this a while back and he said he was working on something like that. If that's the case it explains why it is so good (as the Circlotron is by Kevin Gilmore's testing, T2 tier).

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #35 of 40

Carbon

Great stuff here. Really enjoyed reading this. :)

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #36 of 40
Just some pics a good friend made of my Megatron. With all the tubes its probably one of the more photogenic amplifiers :)

Attachments

• IMG-20231104-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0009.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0010.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0011.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0012.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0013.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0014.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0015.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231104-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20231104-WA0016.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #37 of 40
Since this thread had sort of become the hot spot for megatron/t2 talk...

I've had mine my Dukei built Megatron for a few months now. Finally getting to rolling the tubes. Findings have been:
1) Swapping the ecc82's with e80cc is a must if you're a 007 user. This will double the current to 600ma from the filaments and the increase in dynamics is very noticeable. Note: make sure your amp is using regulators that can tolerate this. Soren/Dukei have built theirs in a way that allows for it, but the standard 7812 won't cut.

2) By recommendation of @Schelp san I did go for some telefunken smooth plate ecc83. Good bump in clarity from the TADs. Not sure you can get much more out of rolling the 2nd stage spot.

Have not messed with the El34's yet.
As for overall thoughts on the amp? Marvelous.

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #38 of 40
Thanks to @orientexpedite 's recommendation I swapped the e80cc for a pinch waist e180cc (aka 7062). This has a current between the standard ecc82 and ecc80. This is a really nice blend of the standard megatron "lushness" and the e80cc's high-energy dynamics. Photo comparison of the e80cc (big boy) and the e180cc (only about 1/2in bigger than standard 12au7/ecc82).

Was able to change my ecc83's to 1950s platinum nos smooth plate telefunken. Less of a difference than the stage 1 rolling, but a step closer towards real-timber.

At this point I feel like my system is completely flawless. I'll need to do another T2/MT comparison soon, because I'm ready for round 2.
Low end with the 007 is the best I've heard of any headphone system including planars.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2575 (1).jpg
    IMG_2575 (1).jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #39 of 40
Have you guys ever tried a 12BH7 sub in place of 12AU7 / ECC82? Like E80CC it draws double the heater current, but its mu / gain is much closer to 12AU7 and in practice it acts like a more powerful, dynamic 12AU7. With speaker amps I found it a particularly potent sub where you have a sad little 12AU7 trying to drive push/pull pairs of large KT tubes.

Mazda silver plate 12AX7 are still my favorite of that type, but hard to find. Much more dynamic and detailed than Telefunkens, with better mids too - but its downside being a little extra treble energy up top. Avoid the Mazda silver plate 5751 though - that one is a bright mess, absolutely unlistenable! For E88CC, Siemens is still far and away my favorite - it really nails the kind of sound I like. I never really tried Siemens 12AX7 and 12AU7 types, sadly.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #40 of 40
Thanks to @orientexpedite 's recommendation I swapped the e80cc for a pinch waist e180cc (aka 7062). This has a current between the standard ecc82 and ecc80. This is a really nice blend of the standard megatron "lushness" and the e80cc's high-energy dynamics. Photo comparison of the e80cc (big boy) and the e180cc (only about 1/2in bigger than standard 12au7/ecc82).

Was able to change my ecc83's to 1950s platinum nos smooth plate telefunken. Less of a difference than the stage 1 rolling, but a step closer towards real-timber.

At this point I feel like my system is completely flawless. I'll need to do another T2/MT comparison soon, because I'm ready for round 2.
Low end with the 007 is the best I've heard of any headphone system including planars.
Interesting, I did never read about the E180CC being a possible replacement at this position. So you prepared your Megatron for another "arm wrestling" with T2? Let us know then :wink:

Have you guys ever tried a 12BH7 sub in place of 12AU7 / ECC82? Like E80CC it draws double the heater current, but its mu / gain is much closer to 12AU7 and in practice it acts like a more powerful, dynamic 12AU7. With speaker amps I found it a particularly potent sub where you have a sad little 12AU7 trying to drive push/pull pairs of large KT tubes.

Mazda silver plate 12AX7 are still my favorite of that type, but hard to find. Much more dynamic and detailed than Telefunkens, with better mids too - but its downside being a little extra treble energy up top. Avoid the Mazda silver plate 5751 though - that one is a bright mess, absolutely unlistenable! For E88CC, Siemens is still far and away my favorite - it really nails the kind of sound I like. I never really tried Siemens 12AX7 and 12AU7 types, sadly.
I never tried a 12BH7 at Megatron and also no Mazda 12AX7, sounds again very interesting.

"Problem" for me with testing is that I borrowed my Megatron to a good friend so he could try it with his 009. Now it is not finding its way back, no idea why haha...

So I could concentrate more on T2, again on the input tubes. You were not the only one recommending Siemens, so I could not resist hunting some of these. I tried different versions, here are my findings (always in combination with the Tesla EL34):

1. Siemens (S/H) E88CC Silver shield A-frame getter, probably from 70s:
Fairly balanced and appealing sound with bigger than average bass. Slightly on the warmer, relaxed side. Good but not outstanding resolution and staging. As I collected enough "good" tubes, I send them back.

2. Siemens (S/H) CCa Silver shield, probably also from 70s:
Very similar to 1., a little more refined sounding with less prominent bass. Overall a very good tube, but again not outstanding. I also send these back.

3. Siemens (S/H) E88CC grey shield, , early to mid of 60s:
I was lucky to get these for a laughably low price, and two of the four original boxes were not even opened, the other two just for taking pictures for the local classifieds.
They sound leaner, cleaner and more dynamically compared to 1. and 2.. The stage is not the biggest but a very precise one. Midrange is just natural. Bass is deep and tight, the treble has endless extension with great resolution. No grain, no sibilance. I think these are great sounding tubes and I would have kept them even if I had to pay more.

4. Siemens (S/H) CCa grey shield, early to mid of 60s:
So these are the tubes so many want. I was searching for hours and found in very old online forum archives (where somebody claimed that he worked in the 60s at Siemens at the tube production) that these are mechanically identical to the "standard" Siemens grey shields (3.). They would have been producted on the same factory line as the standard E88CC, just that every 20th tube or so was selected (parameters were not mentioned) according to fulfill the requirements of the higher CCa specification.
I cannot prove that this is 100% correct, so in case anybody knows better, please let us know.
So far I could get only one matched pair with both triods on the same as new level, (if I trust the seller). Finding another good and non fake pair for a somehow less than ridicolous price is the task now.
I could not resist pairing this CCa pair with another pair of the standard E88CC grey, with the CCa in the last tube row and the E88CC in the cascoded part in front of them.
Compared to the all four E88CC grey setup, this mixture set sounds very similar in tonality and character. But always when the CCa are included it sounds more engaging, precise and focussed. Yes, I think already this one pair of CCa makes a difference.

(5.) 1 pair of Siemens CCa grey + 1 pair of Reflektor 6n23p 74 SWGP silver shield:
I know I know, not what one should do on a T2, at least not without measuring things, but I simply could not resist. I thought the ultra dynamic and precise CCa in combination with my former favorite tubes, which are a bit on the warmer and softer side, with great timbre and biggest of all soundstages might have good synergy.

To make it short, this is my new favorite tube setting. Not much of the precise and bold Siemens sound was traded with the Reflektors in place and the gain in stage, timbre and warmth was welcome.
I will hunt the second pair of CCa grey for sure, but otherwise I think I´m done with tube rolling on T2.

What else? I borrowed a T+A DAC200 for few days, and what an amazing DAC this is! The night before I had to return it, I listened till 4 am with the last tube setup 5., and I had things to do the next day...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back