Keyboard-Fi
Oct 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,396 of 2,079
  I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and try a HHKB or wait for RF 55g to be back in stock..

You should probably just go for a blank white HHKB for the full thorpe master race thock experience. <3 60%
I'm enjoying the blue switches. I felt they were a bit heavy switching from a brown.
Are topre completely silent?
Do they have a tactile feel?

Blue and brown are the same weight. Don't be afraid of heavy switches, many people that have sampled several switches (I'm talking around 20+ or so) usually end up agreeing that heavy=/=bad. Soundwise, they are a bit louder than a regular rubber dome but not as loud as MX because it doesn't make a plastic "clack" sound when you bottom out, it's a very satisfying thock sound... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPH7FAUfUY The sound in that video is amplified so you can hear it better, it's quieter in person.
They are very tactile, but also very smooth (smoother than any unlubed MX switch will ever be).

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,398 of 2,079

I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and try a HHKB or wait for RF 55g to be back in stock..

You should probably just go for a blank white HHKB for the full thorpe master race thock experience. <3 60%
I'm enjoying the blue switches. I felt they were a bit heavy switching from a brown.

Are topre completely silent?

Do they have a tactile feel?

Blue and brown are the same weight. Don't be afraid of heavy switches, many people that have sampled several switches (I'm talking around 20+ or so) usually end up agreeing that heavy=/=bad. Soundwise, they are a bit louder than a regular rubber dome but not as loud as MX because it doesn't make a plastic "clack" sound when you bottom out, it's a very satisfying thock sound... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPH7FAUfUY The sound in that video is amplified so you can hear it better, it's quieter in person.
They are very tactile, but also very smooth (smoother than any unlubed MX switch will ever be).

Isn't the blue 5g heavier?
I'm certain it's not the same.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #1,399 of 2,079
Isn't the blue 5g heavier?
I'm certain it's not the same.

Yeah, you're right. Blues are 50g to actuation, Browns are 45g. Blues really shouldn't feel heavy to you though...they're really light. If you don't plan on trying Topre immediately, consider buying an IBM Model M. Those are heavy switches, and you'll definitely feel it, but it may change your mind if you're thinking that heavy switches are bad, because buckling spring is one of the best clicky switches out there. Either way, Topre shouldn't be too heavy for you. if you're worried about that. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,401 of 2,079
Everybody, shun him for not liking #cuppedrubber, ~all keyboard forums

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #1,403 of 2,079
Anybody have information on this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261150436287&item=261150436287&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
Also the best place to get one?

Limited Japanese 10th Anniversary release, so I imagine either Ebay or if you can find someone selling one used on Geekhack or Deskthority classifieds.  I think there were less of these made than the ANSI 10th Anniversary edition (correct me if I'm wrong).

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,405 of 2,079
Nah they've had it for a while. The ANSI version is indeed more rare but people have sold it for pretty reasonable prices in 55g variant in classified listings, it's two birds one stone for the buying in that you're buying a great uniform Topre weight and getting 10th anniversary limited edition swag at the same time. Doesn't just marking the keyboard as low value for customs work? I have a feeling most people don't know how much Topre keyboards are actually worth. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,406 of 2,079
Nah they've had it for a while. The ANSI version is indeed more rare but people have sold it for pretty reasonable prices in 55g variant in classified listings, it's two birds one stone for the buying in that you're buying a great uniform Topre weight and getting 10th anniversary limited edition swag at the same time. Doesn't just marking the keyboard as low value for customs work? I have a feeling most people don't know how much Topre keyboards are actually worth. 

The company I'm ordering from specifically stated "we don't mark as a gift or for lower value on customs"

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,409 of 2,079
Makes me want a Topre all the more...but I must be patient 
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,410 of 2,079
Makes me want a Topre all the more...but I must be patient :p

I got mine for $280 shipped with express shipping :wink:
I'll tempt you with mine provided I actually like it.
At the moment I like blues the most but they're too heavy for my taste. After that it's reds. I hate browns and blacks.
Never tried a topre switch before.

Also, anyone try greens vs ibm model m?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back