Keyboard-Fi
Oct 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,366 of 2,079
  If you guys are into DIY you could probably make back a bit of the money by desoldering the switches and selling the switches, then selling the keycaps, the top case of the QFR and maybe even the PCB/plate, not sure if there's a market for generic PCB's, most likely not. 

There are a few that do this over at GH, especially with vintage boards.  Doubleshot or Dye-Sublimated keycaps from vintage Cherry boards fetch a pretty penny depending on the set and condition.  There are a few other manufactuers that have sought after keycaps and switches (like WYSE for example) and can be had from ebay for pretty cheap if you're quick.  If you want to see an expensive keyboard, look for the Cherry G80-5000HAAUS 
tongue.gif
 At one point I had a G80-2100HDU (the battleship) BNIB that was just too big to use anywhere, even work.  I ended up making a nice trade + cash on it, as those can be rare...but not nearly as rare as the 5000 ErgoPlus...people pay disgusting amounts for those haha.  I think some people did some custom QFR tops (custom paint, etc) and sold them...covering up those pesky logos.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,367 of 2,079
How does a topre switch differ from mechanical in feel, sound, and longevity?

Yeah, the difference in feel is because most of the weight comes from the rubber dome (called cup rubber in Topre's case) but there's a light spring underneath each switch that activates the key and adds some linearity to the switch. The feel of Topre is like rubber domes so the tactile bump is at the top of the switch like a regular membrane keyboard, but it's stupid smooth, and the keys make a great "thock" sound when you bottom out. It's also different because with Topre kind of forces you to bottom out because of the force curve created from the collapsing cup rubber as you press the key, and resisting bottom out would make you type much slower

The sound of Topre is arguably one of the best sounds made by keyboards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPH7FAUfUY 
The plastic clacking sound of MX bottoming out sounds really cheap compared to Topre, Topre gives a great deep resonating thud instead as you can hear in the video clip.

Longevity is the same, both are rated for 50 million keypresses at the moment (Topre and MX)

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,368 of 2,079
  Yeah, the difference in feel is because most of the weight comes from the rubber dome (called cup rubber in Topre's case) but there's a light spring underneath each switch that activates the key and adds some linearity to the switch. The feel of Topre is like rubber domes so the tactile bump is at the top of the switch like a regular membrane keyboard, but it's stupid smooth, and the keys make a great "thock" sound when you bottom out. It's also different because with Topre kind of forces you to bottom out because of the force curve created from the collapsing cup rubber as you press the key, and resisting bottom out would make you type much slower

The sound of Topre is arguably one of the best sounds made by keyboards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPH7FAUfUY 
The plastic clacking sound of MX bottoming out sounds really cheap compared to Topre, Topre gives a great deep resonating thud instead as you can hear in the video clip.

Longevity is the same, both are rated for 50 million keypresses at the moment (Topre and MX)

While I've not tried a Topre yet, I can say that adding 40A durometer O-Rings to the stem of each keycap on MX keyboards helps in creating softer bottoming out and removes the 'clack' sound from bottoming out.  However, when the switch returns from actuation to default position it does still make a sound.  Topre sounds better, and it seems like it's effortlessly smooth in comparison.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,371 of 2,079
You guys have stores that sell Topre local? That's pretty cool.

Usually the way it works is that people buy the Topre board and just sell it on a keyboard forum if they don't like it, but most people end up keeping their Topre keyboard from what I've seen, only a small fraction of them end up in classified listings because the buyer didn't like the keyboard. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,372 of 2,079
  You guys have stores that sell Topre local? That's pretty cool.

Usually the way it works is that people buy the Topre board and just sell it on a keyboard forum if they don't like it, but most people end up keeping their Topre keyboard from what I've seen, only a small fraction of them end up in classified listings because the buyer didn't like the keyboard. 

Just the one shop in the whole damn country heh

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,377 of 2,079
The DSA keycaps look very nice - definitely one of my favorite DIY keyboard projects I had been following.  I don't think I could convert myself, but kudos to Dox and all his hard work with R & D.  So, does the final version have a mount/raiser on the bottom to angle them (as it appears in the picture)?  Definitely one of the best ergonomical layouts around! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,378 of 2,079
  The DSA keycaps look very nice - definitely one of my favorite DIY keyboard projects I had been following.  I don't think I could convert myself, but kudos to Dox and all his hard work with R & D.  So, does the final version have a mount/raiser on the bottom to angle them (as it appears in the picture)?  Definitely one of the best ergonomical layouts around! 
biggrin.gif

The mount is actually a modified Kinesis mount attached to the bottom with a fancy version of velcro. The whole keyboard is really a DIY project, you either have to assemble it yourself or find someone to do it for you. There's someone from Geekhack working to make a production version that's improved on several fronts though. I'll post a bit more here when I get the beta version.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,379 of 2,079
  The mount is actually a modified Kinesis mount attached to the bottom with a fancy version of velcro. The whole keyboard is really a DIY project, you either have to assemble it yourself or find someone to do it for you. There's someone from Geekhack working to make a production version that's improved on several fronts though. I'll post a bit more here when I get the beta version.

If it works it is not stupid 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,380 of 2,079

Very cool!  I do remember reading about all the group buys for the various components, similar to the GH60 project which I'm participating in myself.  Do post more on the beta version once you've had some time with it!  Once I get the production version of the GH60, I'll post my build here as well 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back