Keyboard-Fi
Oct 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,336 of 2,079
Hey, my keyboard's, "L" key recently crapped out on me, and its REALLY bugging me. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one? I want one thats SUPER comfortable for just typing, no gaming for me. Nothing more than about $120. Thanks :)
Get a Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid. Nuff said. Also, pick a switch after reading up! :D

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,337 of 2,079

Agreed.  I got my MX Blue QFR for $55 shipped on sale.  I've done some extensive modding since, but I sold my previous Majestouch 2 TKL shortly after getting it because they were very close in quality.  The differences aren't worth the additional price difference IMO but it may be worth it to some (like there are some programmable controller chips out there for the Filcos).  I was able to increase weight and rigidity in my QFR by filling the base with resin...now it's a tank.  In addition I made 'ghetto reds' using vintage black stems with the blue springs and lubricated them up...new cherry profile PBT keycap set...and the Filco is a distant memory haha.  They are still solid boards, but there are equal/better options out there for less.  It's like how Topre released the Type Heaven, which is now the cheapest Topre switch board available today and is priced the same as a Filco.  I still want my Realforce 87U though 
tongue.gif
 one day...

I wouldn't go Type Heaven even though the price is attractive. I heard a clip of it on YouTube and it sounded way too plastic-y compared to the other Topre boards: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8NoPjaeKiI
If you can score a good deal on an FC660C you should probably just get that instead, I've seen it for $135 shipped used before, which is more than reasonable for a Topre board with PBT keycaps and a great layout.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,338 of 2,079

Hey, my keyboard's, "L" key recently crapped out on me, and its REALLY bugging me. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one? I want one thats SUPER comfortable for just typing, no gaming for me. Nothing more than about $120. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Get a Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid. Nuff said. Also, pick a switch after reading up!
biggrin.gif

I don't get all these different switches!
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,339 of 2,079
I don't get all these different switches!:frowning2:
Blue/green clicks and bumps, browns/clears have a bump but no click, blacks/reds have no click or bump, I prefer blacks/reds. :wink:

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,340 of 2,079
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,341 of 2,079

Sweet, thanks! What does LX mean?

MX? That's just the name of the switch series, which is made by Cherry. MX is the most popular among Cherry because they have the widest selection and they aren't short throw keys. Whites and Greys are two of the less common switches I should add, whites have a soft click and greys are heavy linear switches, so they're supposed to feel smooth throughout the whole keypress, no bumps or anything.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,342 of 2,079

I wouldn't go Type Heaven even though the price is attractive. I heard a clip of it on YouTube and it sounded way too plastic-y compared to the other Topre boards: 
If you can score a good deal on an FC660C you should probably just get that instead, I've seen it for $135 shipped used before, which is more than reasonable for a Topre board with PBT keycaps and a great layout.

Yeah, been asking around a bit and opinions on the Type Heaven have been kind of meh

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,343 of 2,079
  I'm not sure why it's so fashionable for one to hate on the Blackwidow, but the build quality isn't as bad is people make it out to be. Sure they aren't using Costar stabilizers, and sure the soldering job isn't as clean as one on Filcos, but in the end the Blackwidow isn't bad at all considering that it's inexpensive, has macros that some can benefit from, and doesn't look bad at all. You can argue that the Filco has cleaner aesthetics but Razer boards don't look childish or ugly at all. 

I'm going to bash Filco for a bit and say that their pricing is not competitive at all when QFR's sell for literally $100 less regularly (Lowest price was $35+shipping for a QFR) while the two barely have differences in build quality at all. They both sport the same minimilistic design, both have little flex, and both use Costar as their OEM. You'll only start finding differences when you open up the boards, and even then it is VERY questionable whether the differences between the two is worth $100 more, because for the vast majority of people, it's not. You're only paying for the Filco branding and the "Made in Japan" sticker.

Agreed.  I got my MX Blue QFR for $55 shipped on sale.  I've done some extensive modding since, but I sold my previous Majestouch 2 TKL shortly after getting it because they were very close in quality.  The differences aren't worth the additional price difference IMO but it may be worth it to some (like there are some programmable controller chips out there for the Filcos).  I was able to increase weight and rigidity in my QFR by filling the base with resin...now it's a tank.  In addition I made 'ghetto reds' using vintage black stems with the blue springs and lubricated them up...new cherry profile PBT keycap set...and the Filco is a distant memory haha.  They are still solid boards, but there are equal/better options out there for less.  It's like how Topre released the Type Heaven, which is now the cheapest Topre switch board available today and is priced the same as a Filco.  I still want my Realforce 87U though 
tongue.gif
 one day...

The problem is you guys live in America, computer peripherals like that are WAY cheaper there. If a QFR or  BW was sold here for less than 90$ everyone would go crazy. The best deal I could find, already in online store well know for selling cheap was 120/130$ and the BW for 100$, as you can imagine it just doesn't make sense to buy a QFR or BW for that price when you can find Filcos for ~150$ 

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,344 of 2,079
Sweet, thanks! What does LX mean?
Um, I think you mean mx, it's just cherries series of mechanical switches. They had some others but I like mx. :wink:

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,345 of 2,079

Good point - haven't seen any reviews on them yet but even a used FC660C is probably a better bet but only if you want a 60% sized board.  I'd personally still shell out for a 87U, either used or new...they just have solid build quality.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,346 of 2,079
Looks like its called XT: http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Mechanical/dp/B0068INSUM 
What is that?

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,347 of 2,079
I'd a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate for almost a year untill it broke on me, and I really enjoyed it!
As an occasional Starcraft II and BF player, it served me pretty well! Just loved the clicking sound of it!
Now while I wait for the new Corsair K95 Vengeance to launch here in Japan, I'm using my good old Logitech G15S ^.^v

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,348 of 2,079
  I'd a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate for almost a year untill it broke on me, and I really enjoyed it!
As an occasional Starcraft II and BF player, it served me pretty well! Just loved the clicking sound of it!
Now while I wait for the new Corsair K95 Vengeance to launch here in Japan, I'm using my good old Logitech G15S ^.^v

A year isn't a long time for a keyboard to last o.o

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #1,349 of 2,079

Oh god, don't do this to yourself. You live in Japan, Topre heaven, they are so damn cheap in Japan. $150 for Realforce boards, $200 HHKB, $300 HHKB Type-S, I would kill for HHKB S that cheap =(

I wouldn't get a Corsair board when Topre is priced so well in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back