Keyboard-Fi
Oct 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,351 of 2,079
So,

My CMStorm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Blues bit the dust :frowning2:

After going through their absolutely ridiculous RMA process, they are going to make me pay to ship it in. 

I'm trying to decide if I even want to pay it. I kind of really want something with MX Reds.. or maybe Topre :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,352 of 2,079
  Oh god, don't do this to yourself. You live in Japan, Topre heaven, they are so damn cheap in Japan. $150 for Realforce boards, $200 HHKB, $300 HHKB Type-S, I would kill for HHKB S that cheap =(

I wouldn't get a Corsair board when Topre is priced so well in Japan.

Hmmm problem is that I really need and use te macro keys and backlight and as far as I know, Topre doesn't have one in their lineup yet.
My Razor didn't last long but, even before buying it, I already knew that there were some costumers saying that recently Razer have been having some quality issues on their products, but bought one anyway ^.^v

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,353 of 2,079

Hmmm problem is that I really need and use te macro keys and backlight and as far as I know, Topre doesn't have one in their lineup yet.
My Razor didn't last long but, even before buying it, I already knew that there were some costumers saying that recently Razer have been having some quality issues on their products, but bought one anyway ^.^v

Do you actually need backlight or is it mostly for looks? I would say that backlighting isn't really helpful even in low light situations, but I guess you situation depends. 

Because Topre stems are so big it is hard for them to integrate centered LED lighting so that's why they haven't put in backlighting on any of their keyboards, plus Topre design is minimalistic so they try to gear their keyboards more to people for work and typing over gamers and their flashy gear, but I think gaming on Topre isn't a bad experience at all. Maybe if you need macros you should consider buying a gaming keypad or a mouse with macros, but I think that Topre is a no-brainer for prices like those.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,354 of 2,079
  So,

My CMStorm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Blues bit the dust :frowning2:

After going through their absolutely ridiculous RMA process, they are going to make me pay to ship it in. 

I'm trying to decide if I even want to pay it. I kind of really want something with MX Reds.. or maybe Topre :)

That sucks. How long did it last for?

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,358 of 2,079
  Do you actually need backlight or is it mostly for looks? I would say that backlighting isn't really helpful even in low light situations, but I guess you situation depends. 

Because Topre stems are so big it is hard for them to integrate centered LED lighting so that's why they haven't put in backlighting on any of their keyboards, plus Topre design is minimalistic so they try to gear their keyboards more to people for work and typing over gamers and their flashy gear, but I think gaming on Topre isn't a bad experience at all. Maybe if you need macros you should consider buying a gaming keypad or a mouse with macros, but I think that Topre is a no-brainer for prices like those.

I actually need it as unfortunately I'm not a very good typist who can type 90%+ of the time without looking at the keyboard, so yes the backlighting does help me a  lot ^.^v
And there's also the fact that I've kinda of got used to use my computer with the room lights off because I always had to share my room with somebody else so I had to turn the lights off while using the computer.
keypads or mouse with macro buttons are out of the question , specially the keypad, as you might already know, here in Japan we don't have that much space available as our apartments tend to be pretty small...so my computer desk is not that large and it barely fits my mousepad, keyboard and amplifier.
Since I basically use my computer to gaming and listening to music and so on, I think that the Gaming oriented keyboards would fit me better ^.^

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,361 of 2,079
You should be happy, now you can upgrade and buy more goodies 
biggrin.gif

Tho your wallets will take a good ol' beating.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,362 of 2,079
If you guys are into DIY you could probably make back a bit of the money by desoldering the switches and selling the switches, then selling the keycaps, the top case of the QFR and maybe even the PCB/plate, not sure if there's a market for generic PCB's, most likely not. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,363 of 2,079

How does a topre switch differ from mechanical in feel, sound, and longevity?

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,365 of 2,079
How does a topre switch differ from mechanical in feel, sound, and longevity?

Some would argue Topre is mechanical as well
wink.gif

Never used Topre though.. Hope to do something about it soon.

I heard from quite a lot of people that is a love or hate thing, you should never buy them without trying the actual topre switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back