Keyboard-Fi
Mar 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,156 of 2,079
I'm not getting this part. Are you saying learning an alternate layout is pointless because the other, public computers you'll be using are configured with QWERTY?

You could look at it this way: my muscle memory from learning qwerty is conflicting with my effort to muscle-memorize colemak, and I have to sacrifice the speed of one of them. In the end though, colemak seems less fatiguing so far for me, so I'm sticking with it. Sure I can look at the keyboard if I need to use a public computer, but that tends to bring some typos of its own, at least for me.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,157 of 2,079
Just to give you my experience. I am horrible at typing Qwerty after having used colemak for quite a while. Maybe I can get to 50 wpm on a good day. I hardly ever use Qwerty for anything anymore though, so for me it's not that much of a problem.

I've heard from other people that it's quite possible to type quickly on both qwerty and another layout though. Maybe try looking up how to go about that. I'm sure there is something on the internet about the subject somewhere.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,158 of 2,079
Just to give you my experience. I am horrible at typing Qwerty after having used colemak for quite a while. Maybe I can get to 50 wpm on a good day. I hardly ever use Qwerty for anything anymore though, so for me it's not that much of a problem.

I've heard from other people that it's quite possible to type quickly on both qwerty and another layout though. Maybe try looking up how to go about that. I'm sure there is something on the internet about the subject somewhere.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Funny thing though, I can get 50 wpm on Qwerty is only when I try really hard, and that was before deciding to go Colemak. :p

Do mind that all of that is just me being me when I'm practicing something: I do complain a lot. :p

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,159 of 2,079
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Funny thing though, I can get 50 wpm on Qwerty is only when I try really hard, and that was before deciding to go Colemak. :p

Do mind that all of that is just me being me when I'm practicing something: I do complain a lot. :p

:)

It takes quite a while to get good at typing indeed. Most people tend to get stuck around 50/ 60 wpm for quite a while. Took me about half a year to get to 80 wpm so some complaining is warranted I suppose.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,160 of 2,079
I studied Colemak and Dvorak, and it turns out none of these may be usable for me. College forces me to type a lot in French, and none of those layouts would allow this. Or at least, they would make it painful. Dvorak lacks some French characters and Colemak simply has none.

Which reminds me, I need to find a set of French keycaps. Anyone know where I should look?

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,161 of 2,079
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

It takes quite a while to get good at typing indeed. Most people tend to get stuck around 50/ 60 wpm for quite a while. Took me about half a year to get to 80 wpm so some complaining is warranted I suppose.

I still make mistakes, but they're mostly swapped letters, I guess muscle memory is more reactive than motor control.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,162 of 2,079
I'll just stick to my 120wpm with QWERTY.

It would kill me to switch over and be painfully slow, but I am curious if I could get even faster with colemak. I imagine it would take years to find out, I've got better things to do.

Anybody who types 100+ make the switch? I'm curious to hear about your experience with switching.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,163 of 2,079
Quote:
I'll just stick to my 120wpm with QWERTY.

It would kill me to switch over and be painfully slow, but I am curious if I could get even faster with colemak. I imagine it would take years to find out, I've got better things to do.

Anybody who types 100+ make the switch? I'm curious to hear about your experience with switching.

Holy crap.

I can at most muster 109wpm and that is already going HAM with Monster energy and Buddah.

Average is 90wpm

When I type normally without care it is at 70.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,164 of 2,079
Quote:
Holy crap.

I can at most muster 109wpm and that is already going HAM with Monster energy and Buddah.

Average is 90wpm

When I type normally without care it is at 70.

Yeah, 120 is my burst speed. It's what I get on short typing tests, and only if I'm typing accurately. I can't really sustain at 120. If I were to type a 5-10 minute long passage I would probably drop down to around 60-90 depending on the complexity. It's still fun to visit typeracer.com and goof around with burst typing though.

Ironically, I did this after I had a few gin and tonics.. and with a friend's daskeyboard sitting on my lap. LOL.

I can hit 100+ on any keyboard, even netbooks. It doesn't really matter much to my fingers, so long as all the keys work.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,166 of 2,079
Quote:

Not sustainable at all for me lol

That's still pretty fast man! Anything over 60 is A-okay, I think.

I actually think I type more like 150-160 when it isn't prompted. Like, when I'm typing out of my head instead of typing a passage. But, none of it really matters at the end of the day, so long as my fingers are fast enough to keep up with my head, I'm happy. I actually haven't "practice" typed much at all. I've just been glued to a computer my whole life and it kind of came along with that. It's actually kind of funny, my hand-writing is horrendous, but I can type fast :p

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,167 of 2,079
Quote:

That's still pretty fast man! Anything over 60 is A-okay, I think.

I actually think I type more like 150-160 when it isn't prompted. Like, when I'm typing out of my head instead of typing a passage. But, none of it really matters at the end of the day, so long as my fingers are fast enough to keep up with my head, I'm happy. I actually haven't "practice" typed much at all. I've just been glued to a computer my whole life and it kind of came along with that. It's actually kind of funny, my hand-writing is horrendous, but I can type fast :p

My hand writing...can be good at times

I love intentionally giong uber speed in classes. Just to see the class turn and look at me.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,169 of 2,079
Quote:
I slow down on purpose when people are around. I don't like drawing attention to myself with my ridiculous click-clacking

Haha, I know what you mean.I don't go uber.

It's just for hilarious effect. I do it mainly when the room is kinda quiet with some typing.

Then I go HAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back