Keyboard-Fi
Mar 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #1,113 of 2,079
Just picked up a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid today (blue switches). Never going back to rubber domes 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,117 of 2,079
Interesting. I didn't know Cherry had short throw switches. Is the throw similar to laptop keyboards? I used to love short throw keys, but my RSI ended up winning over.

And yeah, I'm under KDE and I have tons of shortcut using the Win key. My most used one is Win+Down arrow, which brings down the launch/search box at the top of the screen. Best Linux tool I've had the chance to use in the past years. From it you can launch apps, execute command line, open documents... it has a database of the whole computer. It's a very powerful tool that makes the desktop a lot less dependent on the mouse.

Very handy to quickly open datasheets. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,118 of 2,079
Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know Cherry had short throw switches. Is the throw similar to laptop keyboards? I used to love short throw keys, but my RSI ended up winning over.

And yeah, I'm under KDE and I have tons of shortcut using the Win key. My most used one is Win+Down arrow, which brings down the launch/search box at the top of the screen. Best Linux tool I've had the chance to use in the past years. From it you can launch apps, execute command line, open documents... it has a database of the whole computer. It's a very powerful tool that makes the desktop a lot less dependent on the mouse.

Very handy to quickly open datasheets. 
biggrin.gif

They were actually designed with laptops in mind, unfortunately, I don't think a terrible amount of laptops end up getting made with these switches, which is a real bummer, because they are great and not just for laptops.  As for the RSI, I wouldn't let that stop you.  It is weird, they don't really feel like MX switches when they hit the end of their travel and they don't feel like they are dampened with O-rings.  Anyway, point being is that bottoming out on these keys really doesn't hurt that much even after long typing sessions.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,120 of 2,079
Quote:
Posted a review of the Cherry G84-4100 on Reddit.  Just got one on ebay for $16 new in box the other day.  LINKS http://redd.it/19your

Somewhat interested in this.  While my DasKeyboard with blue mx keys are responsive, I sometimes miss the Apple aluminum keyboard with the scissor switches for pure comfort.  I wonder if that keyboard will be a nice compromise.  However, being tenkeyless is a bit of a downer.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,121 of 2,079
Quote:

Somewhat interested in this.  While my DasKeyboard with blue mx keys are responsive, I sometimes miss the Apple aluminum keyboard with the scissor switches for pure comfort.  I wonder if that keyboard will be a nice compromise.  However, being tenkeyless is a bit of a downer.  

They do feel a little like scissor switches, but mostly just due to how short the throw is on them.  I'd have to bet you won't miss the tenkey nearly as much as you think you will.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,122 of 2,079
Quote:
They do feel a little like scissor switches, but mostly just due to how short the throw is on them.  I'd have to bet you won't miss the tenkey nearly as much as you think you will.

It being so inexpensive, I may just buy one and try it.  It's not like I already have four other functional keyboards...  When I take work home, I end up using the tenkey a decent amount in Excel.  Though, I have been cutting back on that.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,123 of 2,079
Quote:

It being so inexpensive, I may just buy one and try it.  It's not like I already have four other functional keyboards...  When I take work home, I end up using the tenkey a decent amount in Excel.  Though, I have been cutting back on that.  

Yeah, at that price that is why I picked them up.  I mean, it was a weird switch I could do science on as well, so that added some value to the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back