Keyboard-Fi
Feb 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,099 of 2,079
just the shipping, really - a used keyboard pretty much loses a TON of value from new, but doesn't change once it's used, no matter how many owners it goes through

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,101 of 2,079
As if the Q701 wasn't enough, I'm developing another love-hate relationship. I just can't make up my mind about the cherry mx red switches. They're just so weird. The number of typo I make on them is ridiculous. You have to make sure your finger is centered on the key, because if you just brush the adjacent key, it gets triggered too. Also, I don't know if this is the same for all cherry mx switches, but I kinda dislike how you can feel the plastic sliding against plastic when you press the key down. It's ugly. Rubber domes don't have this feeling, because the dome centers the key and limits the amount of plastic on plastic brushing. Seriously make me wonder how Topre feels...

Anyone using Dvorak layout? I'm considering giving it a try. With both my wrists ruined by RSI, I am reminded how much unergonomic the QWERTY layout is every time I type anything. I'd need a tool to teach me how to type using Dvorak, any website for it?

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,102 of 2,079
As if the Q701 wasn't enough, I'm developing another love-hate relationship. I just can't make up my mind about the cherry mx red switches. They're just so weird. The number of typo I make on them is ridiculous. You have to make sure your finger is centered on the key, because if you just brush the adjacent key, it gets triggered too. Also, I don't know if this is the same for all cherry mx switches, but I kinda dislike how you can feel the plastic sliding against plastic when you press the key down. It's ugly. Rubber domes don't have this feeling, because the dome centers the key and limits the amount of plastic on plastic brushing. Seriously make me wonder how Topre feels...

Anyone using Dvorak layout? I'm considering giving it a try. With both my wrists ruined by RSI, I am reminded how much unergonomic the QWERTY layout is every time I type anything. I'd need a tool to teach me how to type using Dvorak, any website for it?
If you are going to change layout, and want to make the most of it, switch to QGMLWB.

Rather than download a layout from their site, I used the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to set up a QGMLWB layout and also add multiple layers of symbols that are not typically available to the keyboard layout.

If you can find a copy of it, the game Typing of the Dead really helped me switch over - or any kind of typing game you can enjoy. The good thing about TotD is that it has a mode which makes you go over your worst keys from your last attempt, rather than simply throwing random words at you.

And I definitely found that switching to the HHKB helped with RSI, even when sticking to QWERTY - at the very least, switch to a tenkeyless board. And if you can't afford a Topre, try MX Brown rather than Red, which are linear with a very light touch.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,103 of 2,079
Quote:
As if the Q701 wasn't enough, I'm developing another love-hate relationship. I just can't make up my mind about the cherry mx red switches. They're just so weird. The number of typo I make on them is ridiculous.

I guess I am lucky I have no issues typing on reds, but I find most switches to be fine. I think I prefer reds and blacks the most though.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #1,104 of 2,079
Quote:

Cherry red is one of my least liked switches, too sensitive, as you've mentioned. You might like black, but I fear they might be too stiff, whereas browns have even more of the plastic slide feel. Topre 35g or 45g switches might suit you better if you don't like the plastic vs plastic feel(I like it personally, makes me feel more involved in typing, odd as it sounds). Get wrist rest as well, for the most ergonomic experience, both your writs and elbows should rest on something when typing(or using a mouse) for extended periods of time.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,105 of 2,079
Quote:

3 suggestions:

-- Cherry Blue. The feedback prevents you from making mistakes. 
-- Get a wristpad. 3M Gel wristpads are awesome. I'm using one each for my keyboard and mouse. Increases comfort and typing speed.
-- GNU Typist. Its free, and you can learn all sorts of layouts. I learned dvorak in a week or two.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,106 of 2,079
-- Cherry Blue. The feedback prevents you from making mistakes.
I am worse wih MX Blue than the linear switches—the reset point is too far from e operating point, and it is easy for keys to get “stuck” down if you rest your fingers on the keys lightly while typing.

Brown is the best MX switch for typing. Blue is for people that want to sound like they are typing fast.
-- Get a wristpad. 3M Gel wristpads are awesome. I'm using one each for my keyboard and mouse. Increases comfort and typing speed.
Wristpads are a big source of RSI problems actually, as they encourage putting pressure on your wrist as you type—exactly what causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

You need to get the keyboard as close to lap height as possible and avoid resting your wrists on anything as you type. I see too many people rest their wrists on the desk as they are typing these days.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,107 of 2,079
Quote:

Colemak, way better than Dvorak, and pretty decent support for it.  Also, then all your basic keyboard shortcuts still work.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,108 of 2,079
So, WASD discontinued their Dark blue keys! I love that color, but was trying to replace my windows keys with linux penguin/"tux" keys (since I switched operating systems). Does anyone happen to have any they'd be willing to part with? Or know where I could find them?

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,109 of 2,079
Quote:
Brown is the best MX switch for typing. Blue is for people that want to sound like they are typing fast.

Blues are more tactile, so they're good for touch typing. Not good if you want to use for gaming etc. The 'click' sound is a personal preference.

Quote:
Wristpads are a big source of RSI problems actually, as they encourage putting pressure on your wrist as you type—exactly what causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

You need to get the keyboard as close to lap height as possible and avoid resting your wrists on anything as you type. I see too many people rest their wrists on the desk as they are typing these days.

Not exactly. RSI is caused due to wrong posture. The wristpad should be used to make minor corrections to your posture. You can have a bad posture with or without one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back