Keyboard-Fi
Jan 23, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #991 of 2,079
Depends. Reds are tiring to type on, and are prone to errors, because there's no resistance to your press at all. Just the meager 45g, and the key activates almost immediately. Quick comparison, balance a AAA battery on your finger. They feel a little heavier than that. Reds are made for nothing but actuation speed. Not even repeated actuations, just the first one. I don't have any experience with other switch types, though. I'd like to try all the types, but I think I'd also want a Cherry Blue for typing. As it is, if I have a paper that I need to write, I may just get my old Lycosa to type on. Someone with Browns will have to tell you about them.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #992 of 2,079
I've been researching keyboards like crazy lately as I want to upgrade my gaming rig. So far the Cooler Master CM Storm line of products have piqued my interest the most. Specifically the Quickfire Pro. I just can't decide if I would like MX browns better or MX reds.

Do you have any place to go and try typing on them? That's the best way to do it IMO. But if you don't, well my 2 cent on this is that the brown would be better to type on than the red. personally I love blue more, since I type more than I game. Don't know how it will translate to gaming though, since I alluded that I dont' game much, so I can't really get the feel of the brown and red keys when I tried them.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #993 of 2,079
I've been researching keyboards like crazy lately as I want to upgrade my gaming rig. So far the Cooler Master CM Storm line of products have piqued my interest the most. Specifically the Quickfire Pro. I just can't decide if I would like MX browns better or MX reds.

Do you have any place to go and try typing on them? That's the best way to do it IMO. But if you don't, well my 2 cent on this is that the brown would be better to type on than the red. personally I love blue more, since I type more than I game. Don't know how it will translate to gaming though, since I alluded that I dont' game much, so I can't really get the feel of the brown and red keys when I tried them.
I use blues for gaming, and they are amazing! :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #995 of 2,079
@Rydock: 

The browns (and possibly the blacks) are the only cherries I would recommend for gaming - of course, I've never tried the clears or the more exotic ones such as green. 

Reds are just very hyped right now since they used to be rare.  Collectors and keyboard geeks spoke of them like they were the holy grail, and now that they are readily available in many keyboards, gamers seem to have the idea that they are somehow "the best" simply because they were so sought-after. 

I can't stand the reds, they activate at the drop of a hat, are exhausting on the fingers, and their double-action leaves a lot to be desired.  If you really want a linear action switch, get the blacks - they feel somewhat like the world's beefiest and most solid scissor-switches. 

The browns, on the other hand, offer a perfect amount of resistance, have a very clearly defined activation point, their reaction to double tapping feels very natural, and there is very little fatigue.  They are also (imo) the best cherries for typing, simply because I can't stand how loud the blues are :p 

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #996 of 2,079
Quote:
@Rydock: 

I can't stand the reds, they activate at the drop of a hat, are exhausting on the fingers, and their double-action leaves a lot to be desired.  If you really want a linear action switch, get the blacks - they feel somewhat like the world's beefiest and most solid scissor-switches.

And I love it for gaming. Indeed. ??

I'd love to try the browns/clear and the blues. I haven't heard of the greens, what are they like?

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #997 of 2,079
I havent tried them.  I think theyre only designed to really be used on space bars, but knowing the keyboard geek community, someone will replace all their switches with greens, and then the hype will follow :D

Quote:

And I love it for gaming. Indeed. ??

I'd love to try the browns/clear and the blues. I haven't heard of the greens, what are they like?

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #998 of 2,079
Quote:

The browns, on the other hand, offer a perfect amount of resistance, have a very clearly defined activation point, their reaction to double tapping feels very natural, and there is very little fatigue.  They are also (imo) the best cherries for typing, simply because I can't stand how loud the blues are :p 

If I didn't have closed headphones, I probably would have gotten tired of sound of blue switches in my DASkeyboard. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #999 of 2,079

If I didn't have closed headphones, I probably would have gotten tired of sound of blue switches in my DASkeyboard. 
If I'm listening to music on my HD650s (Open) it's perfectly fine... I tried Browns at a store the other day, and they just didn't feel right coming from the Blues... :wink:

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,000 of 2,079
I've been using the reds for some weeks now. The best description of them is weird. You have no feedback at all, so your fingers don't know if they went far enough or if they still have to go. It's like typing in the air, and having to guess where you have to place your fingers to register a key. It's super easy to make typing mistakes, because if you only brush a key it registers. It's also a pain to double tap, as you don't know where the actuation point is - you have to move the key all the way up and down again to make sure it works. All that makes for a tiring experience. I'm not sure yet if the low resistance of the keys (the reds are the softest ones) actually makes typing less tiring. Though now I can't stand using my laptop's keyboard. The touches are like, 4 times harder to press. Now that I tried this kb, I'm ashamed I used my laptop's kb for so many years.

I tried the blue at a store and did not like the double activation points they have... it's weird. I'd like to try the brown now. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to the reds.

Btw, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms. This is why I decided to go for the reds first. I thought they would be more ergonomic. Now I'm starting to think that ergonomic is more than just spring force. The lack of feedback seems to introduce stress that I believe would not be there if I had physical feedback.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,001 of 2,079
I've been using the reds for some weeks now. The best description of them is weird. You have no feedback at all, so your fingers don't know if they went far enough or if they still have to go. It's like typing in the air, and having to guess where you have to place your fingers to register a key. It's super easy to make typing mistakes, because if you only brush a key it registers. It's also a pain to double tap, as you don't know where the actuation point is - you have to move the key all the way up and down again to make sure it works. All that makes for a tiring experience. I'm not sure yet if the low resistance of the keys (the reds are the softest ones) actually makes typing less tiring. Though now I can't stand using my laptop's keyboard. The touches are like, 4 times harder to press. Now that I tried this kb, I'm ashamed I used my laptop's kb for so many years.

I tried the blue at a store and did not like the double activation points they have... it's weird. I'd like to try the brown now. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to the reds.

Btw, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms. This is why I decided to go for the reds first. I thought they would be more ergonomic. Now I'm starting to think that ergonomic is more than just spring force. The lack of feedback seems to introduce stress that I believe would not be there if I had physical feedback.
Blues are supposed to be the best ergonomically. Browns are nice... I just love the double actuation point, so the Browns felt (muddy?) to me, the clickiness and everything with the dual actuation is like the SR-007 vs TH900... they both have their own types of users.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,002 of 2,079
or you can be an SR-009 user, and get a Realforce :wink: 

Quote:
Blues are supposed to be the best ergonomically. Browns are nice... I just love the double actuation point, so the Browns felt (muddy?) to me, the clickiness and everything with the dual actuation is like the SR-007 vs TH900... they both have their own types of users.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,005 of 2,079
Anyone know what're some good places to get printed/colored keycaps from? Specifically, keycaps that allow for backlighting to shine through as well. They seem quite difficult to find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back