Keyboard-Fi
Dec 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #946 of 2,079
I just switched to Dvorak, but the keycaps aren't all equal, so I need to find some more.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #947 of 2,079
Quote:
Yeah, I do. Took me quite a while to get used to though. Have been using it for a little more than a year by now I think. While it's an improvement for typing it has quite a few drawbacks as well. Certain hotkeys don't work any more, in games you have to rebind pretty much every key before you can play them and it's not supported natively by windows. (although I'm not sure about that in windows 8 right now) Seeing as a do most of my typing at my own computer, it's been worth it for me. Not so much for improvement in speed, but much more so an improvement in how much less problems with RSI I've got compared to when I used qwerty. Still I think that if you plan on switching to another keyboard layout you shouldn't do so lightly. It takes quite a while before you can type a reasonable 50 wpm again which may be a problem if you're using a computer for work. You might also run into the problem of not being able to type as quickly as you're used to when using other computers than your own.

I started a few nights ago and I'm at 20 WPM.  I hope to be typing at least 30 by the end of the week.  Anyway, I'm running Ubuntu so I just switch layouts on the fly.  Been about 70% Colemak, and 30% QWERTY since I started.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #948 of 2,079
Programmer Dvorak user here.
Not sure about the typing speed, because I make a lot of spelling errors, but its much more comfortable for my hands. Qwerty sucks if you don't have extra long fingers.

The only issue is when you have to use another persons' laptop/pc with the Qwerty layout (I type like a caveman, searching for every key), or they have to use yours (fun to watch).

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #949 of 2,079
Quote:
Not sure about the typing speed, because I make a lot of spelling errors, but its much more comfortable for my hands. Qwerty sucks if you don't have extra long fingers.

The only issue is when you have to use another persons' laptop/pc with the Qwerty layout (I type like a caveman, searching for every key), or they have to use yours (fun to watch).

Oh nice, googled that just now and that was a fun short read.

I really never do understand why qwerty is so common... because seriously it's so inconveint 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #950 of 2,079
The Qwerty layout is designed to be inefficient. The reason it’s so popular is because in order for any mass adoption of something else you’d have to retrain every typist on the planet.

And when I say it was design to be inefficient, it was designed to limit the maximum speed at which someone could type on a mechanical typewriter so as to limit the instance of keys jamming into each other when they went to press on the paper. Half a dozen formats have been suggested over the years but none are ever adopted in enough numbers to really dethrone the Qwerty layout.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #951 of 2,079
Quote:
The Qwerty layout is designed to be inefficient. The reason it’s so popular is because in order for any mass adoption of something else you’d have to retrain every typist on the planet.
And when I say it was design to be inefficient, it was designed to limit the maximum speed at which someone could type on a mechanical typewriter so as to limit the instance of keys jamming into each other when they went to press on the paper. Half a dozen formats have been suggested over the years but none are ever adopted in enough numbers to really dethrone the Qwerty layout.

I say it's a government conspiracy to enforce a sort of Typist Communism on us lol 

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #952 of 2,079
Where can I find a set of Dvorak keycaps? I want no ridges on f and j, but them on u and h, preferably double-shot, as long as the price is reasonable.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #958 of 2,079

Incidentally, I do have long fingers, although not sure if it's extra long or not. It is considering that I'm Asian and most have their fingers only reach the final bend of mine, barely. But still, the most and quickest finger to get tired for me is my pinky. Might want to try other layouts in the future, but I don't think I can afford to retrain myself at the moment.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #959 of 2,079
Quote:
Depends if the keys are slanted.

Ah, yes.
Then there's no choice I guess. Get the plain keys, no marking, then there's no issue. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back