Keyboard-Fi
Aug 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #766 of 2,079
There is!

Search for "Switch tester tour/loan" program(s) on geekhack.org or deskthority.net ("Try before you buy" section)

Mr.Interface on YouTube explaining how to participate:

(Topre cluster video, his intro is too loud [content/voice not enough loud, relatively], lower your volume before pressing play)

(1:19, an example of what you can do to test the Topre switches)

Alternatively you can buy his bags of very much all types of switches and key caps you can think off, and some dampening accessories like rubber O-rings, and try them/play with them:
(lower your volume! lol)

6:40 is the Topre switches tester

There are also the "Switch Try Numpads" (a few of them for Cherry, ALPS, and at least one for Topres [30-35-45-55 G] that I'm aware of) custom made by users, voyaging world-wide between users of those two forums I mentionned:
(again, lower volume before clicking play)

No matter where you're located you surely can enlist, of course only if you're interested and motivated enough :wink:

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #767 of 2,079
Quote:

Can you still return it? I would.... 
rolleyes.gif

I would if I'm in Moscow right now, but I'm not. That's okay though, as I still will find a way to bring it back to Moscow. I need the limited space my Blackwidow took more than I need a gaudy looking mechanical keyboard with a not-going-to-be-used-frequently numpad.

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #770 of 2,079
Nice to see another mechanical keyboard thread :)

I'm currently typing on my favourite keybord I've used so far, which is a KBC Poker with blacks.
Got a set of imsto thick blank PBTs on it.

Been through quite a few though, started with a Ducky TKL with blues which I liked, since that I've had a Poker with reds, Poker with blues, Filco TKL with blues, Keycool TKL with browns, 2 Noppoo Choc minis, one with reds one with browns...

Couple of pics:

Poker with reds from a while back
http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgeyoda/6904266068/

Current Poker
http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgeyoda/7449826802/

Met up with some other keyboard lovers a while back, mine are the 3 Pokers :)
The Filco bottom right has scarface aluminium caps, so nice to type on.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgeyoda/7475293572/

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #772 of 2,079
Oii, I really love the White and Red contrasting there, but how do you feel about the White keycaps? I think it'd be a pain when they inevitably turn grayer. :S

I love the layout nonetheless. I'm looking for something similar off WASDKeyboards possibly, but I've fallen for PCB caps and WASD doesn't do those. But I want a custom colour scheme. It's a tough choice, haha. ^^

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #773 of 2,079
Quote:
^ cool pictures. Who is the show off with FOUR Click Clack skulls on his/her keyboard? Totally jealous. I made a post about my red/white key cap set; you can see some pics here.

Haha, that's a guy called imersa from bit-tech forums, he's infact had a clickclak tattoo since!
The red alert set is pretty, no doubts about it :)

PCB caps?
White keycaps aren't too bad, just give them a bit of a wipe everynow and again, I had white engraved keycaps for a while, I can see a build up of dirt etc a little on the wasd caps sometimes, I just give them a wipe with a damp cloth or something similar :)

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #775 of 2,079
The white keys DO get dirty brown after only a few days, even though I keep my hands clean and keep my desk super clean at all times. In fact, I think I'm over the "white keys are cool" phase.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #776 of 2,079

I got these guys for FPS and Action MMORPGS and I enjoy them, Zowei Celertias and Corsair M60, they are very responive and have a nice feel but I do wish they both had more buttons [Mouse has 2 extra] and Keyboard has no extra keys

Still though they are solidy built and I enjoy them :3, I'm playing Fire Fall Global Agenda Vindictus and Dragon Saga atm and they are working nice ^^ [I really like it in Fire Fall :D

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #777 of 2,079
Got my Blackwidow 2013 today. Huge improvement with the matte keys. The only downside I can find right now is that the keys are pad printed really obviously. I can definitely feel them on my fingertips. No QC issues I can find any worse than my Noppoo Choc Mini; it even has better spacebar stabilizers. Great revision, in my opinion, even though the green doesn't match anything I have from Razer anymore.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #778 of 2,079
I've been using a DASkeyboard with cherry MX blues and enjoying the responsive typing experience.  They are a bit noisier than I would prefer, especially when I can hear them over quieter music when using headphones. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #779 of 2,079
Quote:
I've been using a DASkeyboard with cherry MX blues and enjoying the responsive typing experience.  They are a bit noisier than I would prefer, especially when I can hear them over quieter music when using headphones. 

the MX browns are nice, but they are kinda noisy to but not to bad I guess

still the reposiveness is nice! My hand can "roll around" the keyboard and churn out sentactes rather quickly <3 its fun! 

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #780 of 2,079
The idea of what counts as noisy is truly as subjective as headphone preferences, if not moreso.  I consider the MX Browns to be unbearably loud, the the Blues to be just as loud with an even more annoying clacking sound.  I find buckling springs to be equivalent to a screaming child.  So yes, while the Browns are the best of these, I still would never go back to a keyboard with them. 

Loudness isn't the only issue, however.  I find the sound signature of scissor-switches to be the keyboard equivalent of nails on a chalkboard, even though they are far and away quieter than mechanical alternatives.  I'd take the springs over them on my laptop, were such a thing an option. 

More than anything else, it is the SOUND of my Topre that I value the most.  The typing is a dream, gaming response is out of this world, and they last forever... and while I would never give up my realforce for all of these reasons, it is the sound (that is to say, the lack thereof) that impresses me the most. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back