Keyboard-Fi
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #256 of 2,079

Quote:
My friend has an all Mac set up, does a fair bit of typing and he's just bought himself a Matias Tactile Pro 3 mechanical board http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/index.php so hopefully I'll get a review on that soon. Not many mechanical keyboards in a Mac layout unfortunately, but this one still looks pretty serious. I wouldn't want the keypad myself but he did.

He likes it but doesn't feel it's worth as much money as it sells for, particularly in terms of build-quality and sturdiness.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #257 of 2,079

Quote:
Quote:
My friend has an all Mac set up, does a fair bit of typing and he's just bought himself a Matias Tactile Pro 3 mechanical board http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/index.php so hopefully I'll get a review on that soon. Not many mechanical keyboards in a Mac layout unfortunately, but this one still looks pretty serious. I wouldn't want the keypad myself but he did.

He likes it but doesn't feel it's worth as much money as it sells for, particularly in terms of build-quality and sturdiness.

That's too bad - although I admit, it looks like it came out of a Gateway 2000 box!

Ah, those were the days...  Back when a major manufacturer actually made and marketed quality PCs to consumers.  We had a 19" CRT in 1998 - that thing was so amazing.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #258 of 2,079
The problem for him was there's not really much in the way of Mac-layout mechanical keyboards available. It's really either the Matias or the Das with blank keys, bar that you're resigned to using ones with Windows characters, which can obviously be programmed to be Mac keys but visually you're stuck with the symbols. They're also all black bar the Matias haha, and I can't blame someone with an iMac and Macbook Pro for wanting a keyboard that matches the rest of his set up.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #259 of 2,079
I'll give you the black vs white thing, but is it really that big of a deal to have the right printed characters, as long as it can be re-assigned?  I'm using a Thinkpad, which have the Fn and Ctrl keys reversed by default.  I changed that back to normal in the BIOS, so now they each show the opposite graphic.  It doesn't matter for those keys anyway since they're both muscle-memory dominated.

And you can get Mac caps for the Unicomp keyboards - although the Space Saver (i.e. narrow M) is the only one that comes in white that has all of those keys.  The standard ones don't have Windows keys just like old Ms.

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #260 of 2,079

Quote:
I'll give you the black vs white thing, but is it really that big of a deal to have the right printed characters, as long as it can be re-assigned?  I'm using a Thinkpad, which have the Fn and Ctrl keys reversed by default.  I changed that back to normal in the BIOS, so now they each show the opposite graphic.  It doesn't matter for those keys anyway since they're both muscle-memory dominated.

And you can get Mac caps for the Unicomp keyboards - although the Space Saver (i.e. narrow M) is the only one that comes in white that has all of those keys.  The standard ones don't have Windows keys just like old Ms.

Actually, every other laptop (minus Apple's PCs) technically have the Fn and Ctrl keys swapped. The Fn key is where it is to make it easier to turn on the Thinklight in the dark- just press the bottom left and top right keys (source: Lenovo).

I agree with your main point though. I've spent many hours running OSX in a VM on my Windows PCs for a class and never had a problem with the keyboard layout on my Dell AT101W. Then again, I never look at it anyways so the key labels don't really matter to me. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #262 of 2,079

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, every other laptop (minus Apple's PCs) technically have the Fn and Ctrl keys swapped. The Fn key is where it is to make it easier to turn on the Thinklight in the dark- just press the bottom left and top right keys (source: Lenovo).

I agree with your main point though. I've spent many hours running OSX in a VM on my Windows PCs for a class and never had a problem with the keyboard layout on my Dell AT101W. Then again, I never look at it anyways so the key labels don't really matter to me. 

Uhhhh no... Ctrl was in the bottom left corner of laptop keyboards for at least 10 years (the GRiD Compass) before the first Thinkpad moved it.  But yes, it is a Thinkpad standard.

Yes, I understand why they switched it, although I don't agree with it thanks again to muscle memory - and how much more often I do Ctrl+ operations.  And no, it doesn't make the tiniest bit of difference to me now that I can switch them in the BIOS.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #264 of 2,079

Quote:
I always come to this thread thinking it's about master keyboard controllers, midi controllers, pianos, digital pianos etc.

I'm disappointed every time...

Hey, if you hold down a bunch of keys at once, you can do a pretty good midi impersonation...

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #268 of 2,079
Been using the customiser for more than a week now!
WOW! What a joy! AM not using the Dragon at all, grab every chance to type!
Some of the keys seem a little rough cut, but I dont care. The typing is effortless!

Thank you guys!!

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #269 of 2,079
Typing this on my recently acquired PFU Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Professional.

I was unsure of the layout prior to purchase but it has changed my life. Backspace directly above enter is absolutely genius and replacing capslock with control is equally awesome. Since then I've remapped my other keyboards like that too.

Oh, and the Topre capacitive switches are second to none. Topre's own Realforce line feels somewhat better than HHKB though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back