Keyboard-Fi
Aug 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #154 of 2,079
Did you read this?

http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html#post6025244

This time I linked to a specific post. Buying a mechanical keyboard is somewhat personal -- no kidding. Find what switches you want first would be my suggestion. Not a single person here can figure out what switch you want, that preference can only come through two ways:You use those keyboards or you make a reasonable guesstimation that you will like a certain switch.

There are enough people out there that have posted about what they feel about a certain switch or posted videos about those certain switches that it is not hard to find what you may be looking for.

Although I'm in no place to judge, you sound like a student on a budget.
If in fact you are, Das Keyboard offers a discount for their keyboards. 

http://www.daskeyboard.com/education-discount-program/

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #155 of 2,079
I am in high school, am I eligible? Or do I have to be a student at a university. 

Yes I have read (some) of that giant insane article. It is quite interesting but mind numbing.

Thanks for the bit about the student discount, I didn't know they had one.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #158 of 2,079
Currently using a Razer Tarantula -it's been a great keyboard for the last few years, but I'm looking into getting a Razer Black Widow in the next 6-8 months if they end up being as good as I'm hoping for (mechanical keyboard!).  Backlit versions will run $130 USD, but non-backlit ones will go for around $80 +/-. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #161 of 2,079
In what way?  I found the buttons of that keyboard have something like 1mm of travel until they bottom out.  on top of that, all they keys have a large amount of wiggle to them!  finally, the fact that all of the keys lie on a plane makes for long term discomfort. 

overall, a very poor experience indeed (though they do look kinda cool)

Quote:
Well, I think this is quite unbeatable.

I am still waiting for my trackpad to arrive though, can't wait to try it.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #162 of 2,079
Guess I have small hands. The lightness of typing is what I think is unbeatable, comfort too, it is not cumbersome to me as with some of the curvy keyboards. And yes, they do look great together. I guess it may be a thing of taste.

Quote:
In what way?  I found the buttons of that keyboard have something like 1mm of travel until they bottom out.  on top of that, all they keys have a large amount of wiggle to them!  finally, the fact that all of the keys lie on a plane makes for long term discomfort. 

overall, a very poor experience indeed (though they do look kinda cool)

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #163 of 2,079
I use mechcanicals on a daily basis but I actually have no problem with the Apple thin keyboards, I feel that I type just as well. Wierd.

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #164 of 2,079

Quote:
The new Razer Black Widow as well. The keys that one is using hasn't been released, they say it's developed in-house at Razer, people are speculating some kind of Alps-derived key.

Cherry MX Blue (pic via someone on techPowerUp!):

Someone in the comments suggested this was a strange decision by Razer as Blue's are the loudest of the colours and aren't the best suited for quick double-taps, which you often use in games. I have no experience with mechanical keyboards though so can't comment!

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #165 of 2,079
There's some speculation at geekhack about this, I won't post it here. At any rate, I'd probably get one, I could use a Blue Cherry ... for pounding out my thesis in the dark, not gaming. And Razer means I don't have to Taobao a Ducky or specially order a Filco from Japan/Elite Keyboards, just call up my friend at the 'mall... backlighting is a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back