Keyboard-Fi
May 31, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #93 of 2,079
I find the buckling springs 1) TOO loud, though I love mx blues, and 2) require too much force to push down for my liking

many many many many many people love model m's though - it really comes down to taste

Quote:
Do you guys prefer vintage Model M keyswitches, or newer Cherry keyswitches?

May 31, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #94 of 2,079

i have NO IDEA why keyboards ever went USB in the first time
Quote:
+1 for the Unicomp Customizer 104 in black.

I love the click-click-click-click.  I love the retro-ness.  It's great to hear that click and absolutely positively know that the signal was sent.  It's great when I'm typing in long TrueCrypt passwords and don't have any other feedback as to whether I've actually hit a key or not. 

Keyboards are the only piece of computing equipment I can think of that have gotten worse over the years.  Any cheap POS computer you buy today will run circles around a legion of 10 year old PCs and come with a nigh-indestructible optical mouse, but an IBM Model M that has seen continuous service since before I was even born will still be superior to 99% of today's keyboards.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #95 of 2,079
taylor, if the BenQ LCD wasn't there, I could have sworn your setup was from the 80's. 
tongue.gif

I want to get a HHKB for class, I type at lot at law school, but I want new headphones (OMX980) and a PCM-M10 recorder (and ok, I admit it, playback device) even more. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #96 of 2,079

Quote:
taylor, if the BenQ LCD wasn't there, I could have sworn your setup was from the 80's. 
tongue.gif

I still use CRTs.  Old school all the way!

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #98 of 2,079
Lulz... I wish...

Not quite that old school.  People don't give you those for free, like how I got my most recent 21" CRT a few months ago.  Nobody gives away 2048x1536 LCDs because they're too heavy to carry down to the curb. (net weight: 60.6 pounds, 27.3kg)  I don't even think anyone makes screens at that particular resolution anymore.  Decent size 4:3 screens are pretty hard to come by these days unless you shell out for ultra high end graphics and print shop models.  There used to be tons of 1600x1200 screens (my minimum acceptable resolution for my desktop) when LCDs were still relatively expensive but now that they're dirt cheap all the almost all the high res ones are 1920x1080.  Now that I've got a screen with 150% of the resolution of a bluray, I'm just spoiled.  The only better screens cost more than a kilobuck, and I'd rather buy some LCD-2s or T1s for that price, considering the screens I have work just fine, and I don't move them very often.  Thus I stick with CRTs. 

On the other hand, my receiver is only about 10 years old now and I don't listen to radio at all, but I'm willing to take any K340s off your hands if the local garbage men won't bother with it because its too heavy or you can't quite lift it high enough to toss into a dumpster. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #99 of 2,079
I love my Filco with Brown Cherry switches (with ten-key). I had a Das II with Blue Cherries, which had a similar feel but LOUD clicks. I returned it, not because of the keys but because it had USB host issues where it randomly wouldn't show up on boot (common with that model, supposedly fixed in the newest model). I instead bought the Filco with the brown switches, which have almost the same feel but are much quieter (enough to not piss off roommates).

People are surprised that you would pay that much for a keyboard but it's seriously worth every cent (same story with a quality mouse). Half the interaction you do with your computer is through the keyboard.

I previously had a G15, which had ok keys and the screen was nice, but the thing was HUGE and took up way too much deskspace to justify it.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #101 of 2,079
Filco browns special edition ftw

Quote:
I love my Filco with Brown Cherry switches (with ten-key). I had a Das II with Blue Cherries, which had a similar feel but LOUD clicks. I returned it, not because of the keys but because it had USB host issues where it randomly wouldn't show up on boot (common with that model, supposedly fixed in the newest model). I instead bought the Filco with the brown switches, which have almost the same feel but are much quieter (enough to not piss off roommates).

People are surprised that you would pay that much for a keyboard but it's seriously worth every cent (same story with a quality mouse). Half the interaction you do with your computer is through the keyboard.

I previously had a G15, which had ok keys and the screen was nice, but the thing was HUGE and took up way too much deskspace to justify it.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #104 of 2,079
Quote:
What he said.  For instance, your Das Keyboard uses MX Blues

I think it's worth mentioning that not all DAS use mechanical keyswitches, just the later models.  Earlier ones were based off a $20 Keytronic board that wasn't mechanical, but had weighted key rows.

So yeah, just something to remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back