Keyboard-Fi
Jan 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #527 of 2,079

Quote:
Ducky makes solid keyboards, the one you linked to would be a good choice in my opinion.
In terms of  keys, my opinion is:
Blue: Really nice crunchy action, great for typing, but they really are very loud.  I'd get one only if I had a room to myself to use it in.
Brown:  Probably my favorite switch, fairly lively action and good for both typing and gaming.  They're a lot quieter than blues although still make a nice sound
Red:  My newest keyboard has red switches, they feel like browns but just without any tactile bump.  They're noticeably nicer for Starcraft and gaming but I preferred typing on browns more.  My roomate told me that the reds are quieter.
Black: Same as reds but require more force to push down.

I don't game, but I don't want an excessively loud keyboard either...

O/T I just switched to Dvorak and typing is a pain.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #528 of 2,079
I'd go with browns then, which are my personal favorite.  They really aren't that loud; they're much much quieter than blues.  After you get used to them you stop bottoming out which can reduce the noise substantially.
In my opinion, blues are the only switches that would be considered excessively loud.  Browns really aren't bad at all, I've probably seen some normal rubber dome keyboards that are louder than browns. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #529 of 2,079
I think I'm gonna go with browns then, because I'd be using it for about 50/50 gaming and typing. Are Leopold boards good, or should I get a Ducky for $20 less? Is the DK1008-BELLB tenkeyless? I can't find any pictures of it that show the entire board, only a bunch of angle shots where you can't see the right side of the board.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #531 of 2,079
Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Cherry MX-Blue with Black, engraved PBT keycaps (much better than the stock keycaps as far as the sound and feel)

Browns are too light for my liking, and the tactile bump isn't pronounced at all.
Blacks are quite enjoyable for me, but can be "too heavy", but for gaming, they're great. I like typing on them as well.
Blues are loud with open backed headphones, but I still like them, and I use them with HD598's. If I'm listening to music, generally it's at a level where the keyboard is less than noticeable. And when I'm gaming, all concentration is on macro and micro (SC2), and I like in game sounds at a high level as my ears can get a break between games.

My dream keyboard is a Topre Realforce 87UB Silent 55g, but they don't make that in uniform key weights, so I'll have to settle for the non-silent version. ~300 bucks though, so I think it's not quite that high on my list of things to buy, since I'm really liking the MX-Blues in the Filco.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #532 of 2,079
Thanks for the link bob, I think I'm gonna go with the Leopold because the DK1008 isn't tenkeyless and the 1087 supposedly has quality issues (according to google). I never use the numpad for anything anyways

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #534 of 2,079
Anyone have a good recommendation on a wrist rest for the 6GV2? I have a 3M gel one, but it is too tall. Also, hell no on the £50 one that Filco offers.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #536 of 2,079
Does anybody know if there are drivers to use an Apple Extended Keyboard II on Windows? I found one at my school that nobody's using that I could "borrow", but I haven't found drivers for it anywhere.

edit: Or, if I like the ALPS White "clicky tactile" switches, will I like MX Blues?

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #538 of 2,079
where do you guys buy extra keycaps from? want to switch up some of mine on my Ducky 9008 but cant seem to find a decent priced place without costing me 50-60$CDN for just keycaps.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #540 of 2,079
I got my dad a Cherry G80 (blue switch) for Christmas because I'm a good son. I might also get him the o-ring dampeners just to take some of the edge off the noise as I think it winds my mum up hearing him go click click click!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back