Keyboard-Fi
May 11, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #1,861 of 2,079
Just picked this up for £40 second hand but brand new. Cherry silent switches.

Just as I have a gateron optical brown keyboard arriving today that was a similar price from Amazon.

I have a crappy membrane full size for work and this for gaming after an LED went bad on my old cooler master CK530

Gateron Optical Brown is going back to Amazon, this Ducky One2 is lovely to type on.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,862 of 2,079
Post-spillage, I am replacing my Logitech illluminated membrane keyboard and want to do a mechanical keyboard instead. I bought an HP Omen Sequencer keyboard, and have been using it for a few days, and like it, but the key pushes make too much noise. I am not a touch-typist, rather type with 3 or 4 fingers from each hand, and sometimes use my right hand to type 'left hand' kesy (think a drummer...) I do not game, this is just for work, data entry, writing documents, some spreadsheets and nternet browsing......

I am doing a deep-dive researching on the net, and m not getting any less confused. I'm looking at Das Keyboard 4Q, Varmilo VA108M, Corsair K95. I am getting to the point where they are all starting to look like keyboards, and my mind gravitates naturally toward seeming similarities rather than subtle differences.

Help!

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,863 of 2,079
Post-spillage, I am replacing my Logitech illluminated membrane keyboard and want to do a mechanical keyboard instead. I bought an HP Omen Sequencer keyboard, and have been using it for a few days, and like it, but the key pushes make too much noise. I am not a touch-typist, rather type with 3 or 4 fingers from each hand, and sometimes use my right hand to type 'left hand' kesy (think a drummer...) I do not game, this is just for work, data entry, writing documents, some spreadsheets and nternet browsing......

I am doing a deep-dive researching on the net, and m not getting any less confused. I'm looking at Das Keyboard 4Q, Varmilo VA108M, Corsair K95. I am getting to the point where they are all starting to look like keyboards, and my mind gravitates naturally toward seeming similarities rather than subtle differences.

Help!

You need to be looking at the switch types. The Omen uses a "clicky" switch, the noisiest type. Other than clicky, there are a few other types:

Tactile: Has a bump when they activate about halfway down. Example: Cherry MX Brown.

Linear: Smooth all the way down. Example: Cherry MX Black or Red

Hybrid: They feel like regular switches (rubber dome) but have advantages of mechanical switches (hard bottoming out, stable, durable). Example: Topre

I type like you do and prefer Topre switches. They're expensive but there are clones available. I'd sell you a clone I have cheaply if you want to try them.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,864 of 2,079
You need to be looking at the switch types. The Omen uses a "clicky" switch, the noisiest type. Other than clicky, there are a few other types:

Tactile: Has a bump when they activate about halfway down. Example: Cherry MX Brown.

Linear: Smooth all the way down. Example: Cherry MX Black or Red

Hybrid: They feel like regular switches (rubber dome) but have advantages of mechanical switches (hard bottoming out, stable, durable). Example: Topre

I type like you do and prefer Topre switches. They're expensive but there are clones available. I'd sell you a clone I have cheaply if you want to try them.
Tell me more. A link would be helpful.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #1,865 of 2,079
Tell me more. A link would be helpful.

Happy reading! Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...itguru-guide-to-mechanical-keyboard-switches/
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(keyboards)

I've tried a number of different switches. Here's what I thought:

MX Red: Too light, I kept accidentally pressing them.
MX Black: Good weight, probably my favorite purely mechanical switch since I bottom out when typing.
"Vintage" MX Black: Old MX Black switches are smoother for some reason and I prefer them. 2nd favorite behind Topre.
MX Brown: Kind of annoying to have a tactile bump. I don't "touch type" so they're useless to me.
MX Blue: My least favorite. Loud and clicky. The reset point is above the activation point, so if you don't pick up your finger enough before pressing the key down again it won't register. "Touch typists" tend to prefer these i.e. people who don't bottom out the keys when they type. Gamers tend to bottom them out due to having to hold keys down frequently.
Topre: My favorite switch. Feels like a rubber dome switch but improved.
Rubber dome: What's found on cheap keyboards. I don't like how they change in force if you press them on the edges but that can be mitigated through the use of stabilizers like scissor switches, but it decreases the key travel. I also don't like how they squish when they bottom out. Topre fixes those two issues and improves the durability.
MX Green: A harder to press MX Blue. Still don't like it.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #1,866 of 2,079
My collection.
Top row: Ducky One 2 Mini Pure White with Silent Reds; Durgod Taurus K320 with Silent Reds; Anne Pro 2 with Kailh Box Whites.
Middle row: Anne Pro 2 with Kailh Box Reds, Topre Realforce 45g (current favourite)
Bottom: Corsair K95 with MX Browns (I don't use it much because it's loud as hell and I found that I prefer my mechanical keyboards quiet)

Attachments

• 20200213_145555.jpg
    20200213_145555.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,875 of 2,079

Users who are viewing this thread

Back