Kevin Gilmore Amps - Dynalo, Dynamid, Dynahi, Dynamite - Nomenclature explained
Oct 2, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #16 of 28
Ah, I had a brain fart
smily_headphones1.gif
It's the same as bridging the amp in my car! OK, for some reason the original description about the double voltage swing had me thinking balanced for some reason, but it's just a non-balanced double power amp.

In that case I need to find me another Dynalo board for my HF-1's...

--Illah

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 28
Sorry, yes you are right about the other 'balanced' benefits (I was thinking too much with speaker amps since they already have 4 active outputs). I think it 'clicked' for me when I remember how the M3 has a similar sense of 'effortlessness' that balanced configurations have (but on the cheap). I'd be curious to see just how the dynamid compares and benches against the M3 which I know has great stereo crosstalk performance.

I'm also curious however as to the actual benefits of the extra power alone. Doesn't the dynalo have similar output power ratings as an M3? Yet IMO the dynalo doesn't have nearly the same sense of effortlessness with Senns.

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #18 of 28
Well I was kinda going overboard talking about never have enough power. But you definatly want a lot of power. Definatly want enough power to not only prevent clipping but prevent the amp dropping from class-A. Current handling is also important for the most difficult transients. Especially in speakers where even some 8ohms speakers like B&W 602s drop down to about 3 ohm.

Illah you're half right. The Dynamid is ballanced. You can use it as a 4 chanel (2ch bridged) amp, but it's main purpose is for thoes who have balanced sources.

Oct 2, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #19 of 28
I am building the Dynamid as we speak. Once done, I can compare it to my M³.

But then I need a balanced source
eek.gif

This is getting expensive
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I handled the source first http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134816
cool.gif

I'm still waiting on 3 lego pieces to finish my Dynamid. Yes you read correctly, you'll know why soon.

Lego
biggrin.gif

I still have a bunch of it at my mothers house. Maybe I should build myself a case out of lego. A tube amp in lego would be awesome, but the lego might not take the heat very well.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Surprised no one has made a balanced bama slamma...

It's in the works.
cool.gif

I decided against a balanced mig/mig2 after talking with KG and a couple local DIY'ers [aerius and looser101]. The tube life and unavailability of good sockets for the 6c33's is what did it... that and the cost of the thing.
eek.gif

Now we just need a name... alabamaslama? whamabamaslama [or bamawhama]? bamaslamadingdong?
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 28
Yes, still viable (and very good). Google "SS Dynalo" and you should find what you are looking for. There is also a Mini version that can be build, as well as an SS Dynahi. The SS stands for SuperSymmetry. Kevin has Nelson' Pass' permission to use this as a non-commercial design. These are fully differential balanced designs, using currently available parts. They are not however offered as kits; you must procure the boards and parts separately.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #25 of 28
Hey guys, not sure if this is the best place to post but just wanted some input. So I recently got a susy dynahi made for me and upon receiving, thought all was well.

Recently, I had the opportunity to test it against a couple other amps when I noticed some interesting behavior being exhibited by the amp and I wanted to get some other peoples' input on whether this is normal or not and if not, what might be the cause.

Basically, the XLR output on my dynahi results in drastically different sonic presentation of music compared to literally any other amplifier. As in, it's like listening to a different recording of the same song or as if some EQ or DSP was being applied somewhere. So for examples, with every other amp,a bassline might come from in front of me, on the dynahi, it would come from my far right. Vocals become diffused and the soundstage is extremely wide and diffused compared to other amps. This is regardless of which DAC I use or which headphone I use. I am just checking in to see whether this is normal because I have never in my life experienced such drastic changes between any amp that I've heard.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #26 of 28
suggest you make sure the 4 pin output connector is wired correctly

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 28
from the picture supplied in a pm, the 4 pin is wired out of phase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back