Kenwood KH-K1000 or ATH W1000X ?
Mar 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

seqasim

100+ Head-Fier
I have been STRUGGLING with this decision for some time now. Both can come in at the same price (399.99).

My current setup:
Laptop -> Audioquest Dragonfly -> Schiit Lyr -> HD650/DT990 Premium

I am looking something that complements the HD650, especially in terms of making my female vocals FUN. I've heard the W1000x would be the way to go for this, but I worry about fit with the wing system. Furthermore, I've heard there's a big HOLE in the bass that I don't like the looks of. 

The Kenwood KH-KH1000 supposedly sounds like a slightly more balance W1000X that brings the bass back up to bear. However, I know near to nothing else about them. Any experience?

Please let me know what y'all think!

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 2
I wouldn't say they're identical, but they have some minor similarities I guess. The Kenwood are more evened out, and less euphonic, but they're also slower. The ATs are brighter, more euphonic, have somewhat honky/twangy mids (which I'm guessing you'll either love or hate). Sound-staging is kind of a toss-up, the Kenwood have a good presentation, but the ATs are certainly airier and allow you to kind of "float" in the music. Both do well with rhythmic/acoustic kinds of music, and some electronic music, I think the ATs do better with rock (especially/primarily acoustic stuff), and the Kenwood with pop.

Not sure what you mean by a "hole in the bass" though...:confused_face_2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back