Kenwood KD 2070 vs Technics SL BD20D- Need help picking
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

syddapest

New Head-Fier
Super junior HF'ier here. I have been reading and reading and reading and trying to control my vinyl itch. The more I try the more it itches .. Got a AT USB one for the GF and she loves it.. I am trying to get something cheap to start off too and came across these two options- 

[size=medium]Technics SL BD20D[/size]
Kenwood KD 2070

Both fall in the poor man's budget of about 100 bucks. Can someone please tell me which one I should spend my hard earned money on? I don't have a amplifier or a phono amp, and recommendations for this person on a budget would be real helpful..
Sorry about starting a new thread - but the Kenwood dint give any search hits !!
Thanks in advance ..

Regards,

Syd

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Interesting. Just earlier this week I was deciding between a Kenwood KD-3070 and a Technics SL-BD22.

Apparently most people go for a Technics, but I've read that the Kenwood tables are solid too. The BD-20/22 are on memepool's list of great budget TTs, while for Kenwood he only mentions models up to 2055 so it's probably a safer bet that you went with that one.

I offered ridiculously low prices (it was eBay, so it's a probably a crapshoot anyways) and ended up with both of them. Waiting for them to ship.

Which phono pre-amp did you get?

AT

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Upgrade the cartridge when you can, unless it came with something besides the stock one.  There's not a whole lot of adjustments you can make with that table--outside of replacing the platter/mat and needle--but the cartridge that comes with the table is probably average at best. Changing it is probably the easiest way to elevate the table as a whole.

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks @3rdear

I got this TT as a starting point, picking it over the AT LP-60 which I bought for the gf.. It came with the AT91E as the stock cart did not work any more. For now it plays really well.. Much better than the AT...Once I understand the nuances of this player will be time to spurge ..Hope my boss is around here somewhere so I get a fat bonus ..

Syd

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 11
@reaqter

The Kenwood looked beautiful in person - and unfortunately when the person showing it to me tried to play a record( One of the Smiths Albums he had) he couldn't find the needle ...And I was in a budget crunch and wanted to get started atleast, so picked the Technics ..

The Pre-amp I got is the Behringer - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H2BC4E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

Works well -- and my setup is super cheap for now -

Technics SL-BD20D-->Behringer PP400-->Cyber Acoustics CA 3602--(http://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Acoustics-Subwoofer-Satellite-CA-3602/dp/B0027VT6V4)

I cant say there is anything about this set up which I dont like -  I love it ....As 3rdear mentioned- I might go for a cartridge change and want to land my hands on a set of Floor speakers.

And my Brainwavz HM3 sound awesome through my abovementioned set up as well 
Hope you get your TT's shipped soon and you can tell me how they sound ..

Thanks,

Syd

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 11
Wow, glad everything's working out for you! My Kenwood arrived today, but...without cartridge or stylus. Maybe I can get some refund out of the guy (the eBay listing pic & description clearly described cart & stylus) and get myself a nice new set. So much for eBay...I'm glad I only paid a pittance for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back