Kenwood HD60GD9 vs iMod???????
Dec 5, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if not for the hiss, the ipod shuffle is still my favourite portable. with certain canalphones, the d2 is quite nice (if not for the confused bass and small soundstage) and the ipod nano is great.

I agree on the shuffle, as long as its the first gen. I am listening to this while I look for a good replacement/upgrade to my Corda Move.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 26
How about B7..good sound..small size..

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #18 of 26
I used to have the iMod with my Kenwood. If the Kenwood is an fotm/foty, I can say the same about the equally inflated iMod fotm. My advice: don't work so hard on developing your portable rig, because in the end you will still be disappointed.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have the iMod with my Kenwood. If the Kenwood is an fotm/foty, I can say the same about the equally inflated iMod fotm. My advice: don't work so hard on developing your portable rig, because in the end you will still be disappointed.

I was pretty happy with the iMod, super cotton dock, corda move, and Triple.fi. The same combo with the headsix should be pretty close. Of course, an upgrade called. My portable rig quickly became transportable to get the quality I wanted. It could literally compete with a desktop rig when its fully complete, but not one at the same price range I'm sure.

Portability and quality does come with its fee and diminishing returns.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was pretty happy with the iMod, super cotton dock, corda move, and Triple.fi. The same combo with the headsix should be pretty close. Of course, an upgrade called. My portable rig quickly became transportable to get the quality I wanted. It could literally compete with a desktop rig when its fully complete, but not one at the same price range I'm sure.

Portability and quality does come with its fee and diminishing returns.

Disappointed was a strong word, however using an IEM with a desktop rig is not as strong as a reference as using a full sized headphone with a desktop rig.

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disappointed was a strong word, however using an IEM with a desktop rig is not as strong as a reference as using a full sized headphone with a desktop rig.

I really can't wait to try the HD650 with a LISA III to find out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 26
i wouldn't mind getting the new kenwood player if it is remotely close to an amped imod. although my setup right now is portable, it's a hassle to put in the pocket.... any more reviews, comments, impressions on the HD60GD9 or HD60GD9EC would be much welcomed.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldn't mind getting the new kenwood player if it is remotely close to an amped imod. although my setup right now is portable, it's a hassle to put in the pocket.... any more reviews, comments, impressions on the HD60GD9 or HD60GD9EC would be much welcomed.

Its probably not very far off when compared to most portable amps. I can't comment because I haven't heard, their was a recent media keg posted in the portable pictures thread.

The main problem is that you are likely going to have to use an attenuator which will dull the sound to get rid of the hiss. The Shure e500 seem to be about the most sensitive phones I know of. The ultimate ears attenuator will not hurt quality as much as the Shure with its volume control I believe and can be found in the UE Took kit on ebay for $19 shipped. The er4p to s adapter doesn't sound like it would be as good because of it extra ohm resistance at 75 ohms I believe.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 26
If you're using an amp with the Media Keg, which is not a "sin" like some noobs claim about double amping, using IEMs is totally fine. Even 75 ohms would get rid of most of the hiss when using with an SE530.

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #25 of 26
i probably won't be using an amp, just direct from the player to my UE-10's. i firmly believe that the less obstacles that the signals have to travel, the better the sound...

also, how bad is the hiss? i mean, if the music is playing? i doubt it'll be that loud where the hiss will overpower the music...

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i probably won't be using an amp, just direct from the player to my UE-10's. how bad is the hiss? i mean, if the music is playing? i doubt it'll be that loud where the hiss will overpower the music...

The UE-10 isn't quite as sensitive to hiss as the UE-11 or e500 from what I hear, but I also hear that the kenwood has a surprising amount of hiss. A trekstor is said to be pretty good as well, but I know the Kenwood is definately more the FOTM. Wish I could recommend something better, I would consider it as well.

BTW, the pacemaker is supposed to come out in February. Its supposed to have something close to its own built in amp and even s/pdif out for 120gb and DJ controls. It should be interesting even if it doesn't live up to hype.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back