Kenwood HD60GD9 vs iMod???????
Nov 25, 2007 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

MrJingles

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I currently have an 80g iMod with a Headsix amp that sounds incredible. The problem is that I'm getting a little tired of the bulkiness. I'm beginning to think that I would like a player that can slide in my pocket or clip to my belt, but I don't want to give up much SQ. Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Kenwood HD60GD9 and iMod? If the drop off is not too significant than I would sell my rig and buy it. Unfortunately, right now I can't afford to keep my rig and buy the Kenwood. It's a tough one since there is no retail outlet to compare them.
Any help would be much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 26
Heh. Well, atleast you will not have any problems finding a buying a buyer, MrJingles.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 26
the kenwood is fotm. i have had several portables that incorporate the same or slightly modified amp from the newer kenwood you mentioned. it sounds good with a little eq but it is a very unpowered headphone out. if you use anything but iems, you will find it to lack extension in both extremes.

it also hisses with iems like um2 for instance so... really, you may want to use an amp with it anyway.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 26
The sound quality of Kenwood HD20GA7 ~ HD60GD9 are amazing !
The only problem with them is the hiss. I used Audio Technica CK9 with
HD20GA7. But you will notice some hiss ONLY listening to it at a silent night.

I've read some reviews of the newest kenwood MP3 player HD60GD9.
Overall it has:
1. slightly less hiss than it's previous players
2. warmer sound than it's previous players
3. longer battery life than it's previous players
4. Stonger amp power than it's previous players

I would highly recommand HD30GB9 if HD60GD9 exceed your budget.

Cheers

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the kenwood is fotm. i have had several portables that incorporate the same or slightly modified amp from the newer kenwood you mentioned. it sounds good with a little eq but it is a very unpowered headphone out. if you use anything but iems, you will find it to lack extension in both extremes.

it also hisses with iems like um2 for instance so... really, you may want to use an amp with it anyway.

Hi Shig! Have you found better DAPs with IEMs?

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's so hard to make a decision on something that you can't try first. The money's not the issue if I sell my rig, but I don't want to be disappointed if the Kenwood sounds substantially inferior. I will be receiving a Cowon D2 on Tuesday and see how big the sq gap in comparison. I know it's not the Kenwood level, but if it sounds pretty good, I might use that exclusively for portable, sell my iMod rig and start building a home setup.....Meier Opera, Senn HD650s and a nice source. We shall see.
My sincere "thanks" for all of you that have shown interest in my iMod. Should I decide to sell it, you will in order, be the first that I contact.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound quality of Kenwood HD20GA7 ~ HD60GD9 are amazing !
The only problem with them is the hiss. I used Audio Technica CK9 with
HD20GA7. But you will notice some hiss ONLY listening to it at a silent night.

I've read some reviews of the newest kenwood MP3 player HD60GD9.
Overall it has:
1. slightly less hiss than it's previous players
2. warmer sound than it's previous players
3. longer battery life than it's previous players
4. Stonger amp power than it's previous players

I would highly recommand HD30GB9 if HD60GD9 exceed your budget.

Cheers

Yeah, I've read the same things. I will buy the 60 if I go that way. Thanks for your great input!

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 26
if not for the hiss, the ipod shuffle is still my favourite portable. with certain canalphones, the d2 is quite nice (if not for the confused bass and small soundstage) and the ipod nano is great.

the sony a618 is also a great little machine but... not quiet. next, i am interested in trying the zune - the only thing it lacks is the gapless playback of ipod. but i hear it is to have very little hiss or close to none - but i don't know much about the new flash version. cheers antony!

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo3014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr.Jingles, sent you a PM.
i want to buy it badly!!!

Just sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back