Kenwood HD20GA7 Review
Nov 27, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #34 of 120
Thanks for the review! I really hope the price goes down. Kenwood should introduce the player worldwide. It definitely has a market if the price goes down.

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #35 of 120
I tried fixing the pics. No idea whether they will show to everyone, but I can see them alright lol

Bittergourd, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
When you say scammed, you mean you got ripped off? That's terrible - it would've been nice to have more people using this player, and you don't want people taken advantage of over it. Hopefully you've picked up your spirits and are waiting for the new HD30GA9 to be released!

Strings, yeah I think HD20GA7 is a bit too much to be a second player. ihp-140 is a great player anyway
icon10.gif

hoob, I used to have Gigabeat F21 before X5L and Kenwood, and I did quite like it - nice clear sound, and the F21 I had was black and it was the sleekest, the most handsome player in the market.
But the highs tended to distort to worrisome levels, and the GUI drove me crazy.. Although for the price you can get Gigabeat F-series now, they're great deals I reckon.

MartinJ, HD30GA9 has just come out in Japan, so I think it would be at least a while before you can see one in Europe. I'm hoping to get one shipped here in Korea soon, so I'll give you feedback on how much an improvement it is to HD20GA7. As far as HD20GA7 in Europe is concerned, there's a Dutch guy in DAPreview who bought one from the site mentioned by fjf, so that might be a place you can try.

Lsportline43, thanks! I think certainly in North America the price won't be so prohibitive. Also, there was a report in DAPreview which said that Kenwood was indeed planning to release HD20GA7 in Europe officially, so you never know - it probably won't be as insanely priced as in Japan
icon10.gif
Apart from the UK, of course lol

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #37 of 120
I own the HD20GA7 now for 3 monthes: great player with great sound quality! Give me your msn/mail and we could start a english community for the HD20GA7 & HD30GA9 like those crazy japanese al did: www.hd20ga7.com . You should check this link often for news on firmware updates, tricks, accessory etc :

http://bubble4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/wm/1129947876/l50 (currently part 8, part 9 will really 'start' after 1000 posts over here: http://bubble4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/wm/1133082741/ ).

Btw, found some real-life pictures of the HD30GA9: http://computers.livedoor.com/series_detail?id=25597

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #39 of 120
Hey Holleboomer, thanks! Those sites are very cool. Didn't realize that HD20GA7 had built up a sizeable community in Japan. It's a bummer I can't read Japanese though lol But that review of HD30GA9 was great too. Nice to see some pics, and am now wondering how Supreme sounds. Can't wait to get my clammy hands on one of those!

FenderP, I don't know why but I get the feeling that the JVC player will be even more low-key than the Kenwood effort. Is JVC the same company as Victor? If so, Victor has released some interesting players over the past couple of years but they were Japan-only. So hopefully this new one will be more widely distributed
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #40 of 120
I've had a trawl through the HD20GA7 community that Holleboomer listed (running a translation machine lol), and I've found that HD20GA7 is gapless playing WAV files, but NOT gapless with MP3 and WMA files. A slight surprise - not to mention a disappointment - as the transition between MP3 songs sounded smooth enough for me. Just goes to show what a novice I am
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #42 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmeister
FenderP, I don't know why but I get the feeling that the JVC player will be even more low-key than the Kenwood effort. Is JVC the same company as Victor? If so, Victor has released some interesting players over the past couple of years but they were Japan-only. So hopefully this new one will be more widely distributed
biggrin.gif

JVC is the brand outside of Japan.

BTW, here's yet another review of the XA-HD500. They quite like it.
http://review.ascii24.com/db/review/...59270-000.html

The XA-HD500 is supposed to be released world-wide, but I have yet to see it outside of Japan.

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #44 of 120
holleboomer, yes I checked out the review there as well
biggrin.gif
Makes me pine for HD30GA9 even more! In the other review you mentioned earlier in the post, it was slightly disconcerting to find that the white noise hasn't disappeared. Wasn't too big a problem with HD20GA7, but I did expect Kenwood to clear it up. Guess not.

FenderP, seems the JVC player has something similar to HD30GA9 in that CC thingy - making up for lossy files and improving sound quality. Sounds very interesting, and if there is a 30GB+ version I would be extremely intrigued
biggrin.gif

But hopefully these won't be too pricey and they might just be nice sub players to go with my soon-to-be-acquired HD30GA9 (one can only dream..).

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #45 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmeister

Victor used to be an US company and it went bankrupt before WWII, but its branch Victor Japan survived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back