Kenwood HD20GA7 is still one of the best DAP
Aug 20, 2010 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jazzyfi

1000+ Head-Fier
I just sold my iPhone 3GS while I'm waiting for the iPhone 4 to come. Since I didn't have any fancy phone to replace the iPhone, I just picked up my old Nokia and bring back my HD20GA7 to life.

What a shock!!! I forget how good it sounds. I love it
L3000.gif
. Its better than my iPhone, huge sound stage, sounds so analog, way better volume control (little steps), and it sounds so good with ES3X, comparable to the iPhone LOD + iQube. The only drawback is the white noise. Well, its not a big problem.. its like listening to my lps without the crackle
bigsmile_face.gif
. Too bad the kenwood software to transfers songs is Windows only so I need to use the VMware.

I can't wait to compare the Kenwood to the iPhone 4. I hope the iPhone 4 is better so I don't need to carry too many things in my pocket.

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 6
x2

I bought my (second hand) HD20GA7 a few months ago here in Japan (I study Japanese here during 2010). I was curious about the Kenwood players and the HD20GA7 did not disappoint me. I have got a Cowon S9 as well and the Kenwood has got a much more smooth and at the same time detailed sound (I have tweaked every aspect of the BBE+ EQ on the S9). I recently got a used JVC XA-HD500 (6GB microdrive HDD) as well, and it sounds as good as the Kenwood. Perhaps the lower frequencies are a little bit more refined on the JVC. The rare Japanese DAP:s surely are hidden treasures.

I do not use IEM:s, so I have never heard any hiss. If I did, I would perhaps feel nostalgic remembering the days of my cassette Walkman...
L3000.gif

Perhaps you can keep the Kenwood and use it when you have more "pocket room"? It too good a player to lie and collect dust!

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 6
iphone 4 is not designed for sound sound quality.

I am waiting for my preordered hifiman 602 and see if it has better sound quality than my HD30GB9.

Quote:
I just sold my iPhone 3GS while I'm waiting for the iPhone 4 to come. Since I didn't have any fancy phone to replace the iPhone, I just picked up my old Nokia and bring back my HD20GA7 to life.

What a shock!!! I forget how good it sounds. I love it
L3000.gif
. Its better than my iPhone, huge sound stage, sounds so analog, way better volume control (little steps), and it sounds so good with ES3X, comparable to the iPhone LOD + iQube. The only drawback is the white noise. Well, its not a big problem.. its like listening to my lps without the crackle
bigsmile_face.gif
. Too bad the kenwood software to transfers songs is Windows only so I need to use the VMware.

I can't wait to compare the Kenwood to the iPhone 4. I hope the iPhone 4 is better so I don't need to carry too many things in my pocket.

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 6
One more with Kenwood here!
This is one of the best players for IEMs (except hiss). Mine is 4 years old & still works great!!!

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
iphone 4 is not designed for sound sound quality.

I am waiting for my preordered hifiman 602 and see if it has better sound quality than my HD30GB9.

Let me know if the hifiman is a good buy, the HD30GB9 will be hard to beat in terms of SQ. I'm really curious about the hype of this player and its big brother (a bit skeptical actually).

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Just want to update. I finally got my iPhone 4, it sounds really good actually. Comparing it with the HD20GA7 the difference was the sound stage. Listening it with my ES3X the iPhone sounds like watching a private concert where you are in front of the musician. The HD20GA7 is the exact opposite, its like a huge concert hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back