KENNERTON VALI - Impressions, Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #151 of 271
Thanks for your impressions @SomeGuyDude!
Just two notes regarding comfort.
Quote:
The way the Vali adjusts makes it REALLY hard to get them in place because the cups can't do horizontal rotation while on your head, you have to put them in place before you put them on. Additionally, my ears are rubbing against the grill over the driver and it's kinda irritating, all of that is on top of the weight of them and the general "not exactly soft and cozy" feel they have.

Actually, the idea is to make rotation while they are on your head. Loose the screw while they are on your head, take into position, and tighten it back.
Also, production version have driver placed a bit further away, so you should not touch the grill anymore :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #152 of 271
  Actually, the idea is to make rotation while they are on your head. Loose the screw while they are on your head, take into position, and tighten it back.
Also, production version have driver placed a bit further away, so you should not touch the grill anymore :)

Ohhhh. Okay, did a little adjusting that way and it kinda worked. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not especially in love with the adjustment system but it's fine enough.

As for the audio, right now I'm listening to Russian Circles' new album and good lord I could cry it's so gorgeous. I fear my final review is going to sound like I'm getting paid to write it.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #153 of 271
I'll have a review up tomorrow. My DIRECT comparison is the DT990 pro, but I've had the Nighthawks, the LCD2 pre-fazor, the EL-8 open, few others. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #154 of 271
All righty, here are my impressions of the touring Vali unit as well as grizzlybeast's production unit. Thank you grizzlybeast for getting the tour arranged, and thank you to Kennerton Team for lending the pre-production Vali for this tour. Also, thank you to Andykong at Cayin for letting tour participants hear the Vali through balanced amps via their brown XLR cable.

About my audio preferences:
I generally favor headphones that have a smooth and clean frequency response that's more "flat" than "fun." After evaluating the frequency response, I start to get more picky about the instrument separation, imaging, soundstage, and lastly detail retrieval.

Touring Vali:
I only used the brown XLR cable with the touring Vali since I had a few amps that could utilise it: touring Cayin iHA-6, LH Labs Pulse X Infinity, and Geek Out V2+. I have an XLR to 3.5 mm adaptor too, so I used that to compare how the Vali sounded through single-ended amps.

From what I could tell, the Vali sounds more open and has better instrument separation when switching from unbalanced to bala sure it has good current output.

The overall sound signature of the Vali is warm-tilted. It's not my preferred sound signature, but it's a signature that many will enjoy. To me, the Vali sounded warmer than the HD650, but at the same time much more clear as a whole.

Starting with the bass, the Vali's bass is what I noticed right away. It's bumped up in presence compared to what I'm used to and it almost has a visceral feeling similar to that of planar magnetic headphones. It reaches the low notes pretty easily, and it doesn't sound slow, muffled, or woolly like I find many dynamic driver headphones to sound like.

However, I find the bass to creep into the lower-midrange a bit too much for my preferences and it gives the lower-mids a lot of warmth and fullness. Male vocals, lower guitar and piano notes, and some lower-female vocals actually sound pretty pleasant with this lower-midrange warmth. This reminds me a lot of the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog in this regard.

The upper-midrange is what really detracted me from liking the Vali on the other hand. Although the lower-mids were full-sounding, the upper-mids sounded tinny and lacking in weight to me. Some have described the mids as being "recessed." I don't think the mids are recessed per se, as I actually find the lower-mids to sound a bit forward, but I can see the upper-mids being laid back or recessed. It's just odd to hear the nice lower-mids only to hear the upper-mids being sucked out from the music.

Like a warm-tilted headphone, the treble response of the Vali is very polite. I really like this type of treble as it's non-fatiguing. Sure, it might be rolled-off at the extreme frequencies, but the Vali manages to keep things smooth.

Soundstage-wise, the Vali seems to be on the small side, reminding me of the LCD-2 a bit with how congested it sounded. It wasn't anything worth touting for, BUT the imaging and instrument separation of the Vali were pretty good and I did like how the Vali rendered instruments around my head and how separated they were.

Lastly, detail retrieval of the Vali was pretty good as a whole. The bass and lower-midrange had very good texture; the upper-midrange despite having the weird canny sound also retained a similar detail retrieval, and the treble seemed soft probably due to the roll-oiff and lack of a "sparkle" peak in the frequency response.

Aside from the sound, the Vali's wooden earcups are really stunning and I like them a lot. The metal adjusters on the headband are awkward at first, but fairly easy to use after giving it a few tries.

grizzlybeast's Production Vali:
I was using the single-ended cable with this version of the Vali, so I'm not sure how that would compare to the brown XLR+adaptor cable that was used for the touring unit. That being said, the warmth of the lower-midrange seemed to be cut back a bit on this production unit, which is a positive change I think. The timbre of the upper-midrange also seemed to be a bit better from what I had remembered before, but it still retained a similar canny sound that's laid-back compared to the lower-midrange still.

Wrapping up my experience with the Vali, it's not really my cup of tea, but if you like warm-sounding headphones, and especially headphones for the lower-midrange, or headphones that are not fatiguing, the Vali might be worth looking into!

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #157 of 271
Darnit... I let a co-worker borrow these and I felt musically lost. My weekend didn't feel right. Today I will compare them to the NH's.

Yay! I'm way curious to know what you think.

I've been using them pretty much exclusively, bouncing back and forth between them and the 990's for gaming only. The "density" you mentioned is just insane. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #158 of 271
Okay here's my final thoughts. No pictures because, c'mon, there's been enough.

First off, I apologize to Kennerton but these are NOT comfortable. The weight of the Vali is difficult to deal with, not to mention the way the adjustments work. Yes, okay, you put them on and then tighten the screws down once they're in place, but I'm not a fan of that. I find myself fiddling with them far too much.

Okay, that's fine, but what about the sound?

I've had many headphones in the $1000 range, from Audeze and Audioquest, Shure and also sampled Sony and HiFiMan. The "density" and sheer impact that Grizz mentioned is very real. If you're hoping to feel your headphones at a level that's like the instruments are actually being played? These are your headphones. Are the Vali warm? Yeah, a little, but not at the expense of the high frequencies, what's most apparent is I suppose the hard impact of the lows and mids. While planars have their low extensions, dynamic drivers are able to move air to an extent that the orthos can't, and that's what makes the Vali feel so visceral.

I would argue that's the primary characteristic of the Vali: visceral. I feel the punch, the hit, the slam of my songs in a way I've never experienced them before. I'm a drummer, so percussion is VERY important to me when it comes to listening. I'm not impressed with neutrality or hearing flatness in extension over hearing dynamic impact of the drum kit. I'd rather hear hard hitting percussion over delicate strings and vocals any day of the week. To that extent, if you're like me? The Vali is very much your nirvana. LCD-2 pre fazor, Nighthawk, HE560, Th900, the list goes on of headphones I've dealt with. These are the best. They hit so hard, the air is physically moving against your head, but not in a false way of bumping bass to be Beats-level. It's just moving air heavily.

I apologize if this feels gushing but the reality is that if you are under $1000 but want headphones as far under $1000 as you can I'd say get the Nighthawks. However, if $1000 is an easy cap, get the Vali. The refinement makes them such heavy hitters that despite the discomfort, the heaviness, the awkward fit I'm so ******* happy to listen to the Vali through my Vali (oddly enough) that none of the physical difficulties matter. They're warm, they're bassy, for most they are not "accurate" in a flat response sense. However, the sheer impact of the Vali overrides all of that, to my ears. 

Kennerton? Ya done good. I love ya. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #159 of 271
Okay here's my final thoughts. No pictures because, c'mon, there's been enough.

First off, I apologize to Kennerton but these are NOT comfortable. The weight of the Vali is difficult to deal with, not to mention the way the adjustments work. Yes, okay, you put them on and then tighten the screws down once they're in place, but I'm not a fan of that. I find myself fiddling with them far too much.

Okay, that's fine, but what about the sound?

I've had many headphones in the $1000 range, from Audeze and Audioquest, Shure and also sampled Sony and HiFiMan. The "density" and sheer impact that Grizz mentioned is very real. If you're hoping to feel your headphones at a level that's like the instruments are actually being played? These are your headphones. Are the Vali warm? Yeah, a little, but not at the expense of the high frequencies, what's most apparent is I suppose the hard impact of the lows and mids. While planars have their low extensions, dynamic drivers are able to move air to an extent that the orthos can't, and that's what makes the Vali feel so visceral.

I would argue that's the primary characteristic of the Vali: visceral. I feel the punch, the hit, the slam of my songs in a way I've never experienced them before. I'm a drummer, so percussion is VERY important to me when it comes to listening. I'm not impressed with neutrality or hearing flatness in extension over hearing dynamic impact of the drum kit. I'd rather hear hard hitting percussion over delicate strings and vocals any day of the week. To that extent, if you're like me? The Vali is very much your nirvana. LCD-2 pre fazor, Nighthawk, HE560, Th900, the list goes on of headphones I've dealt with. These are the best. They hit so hard, the air is physically moving against your head, but not in a false way of bumping bass to be Beats-level. It's just moving air heavily.

I apologize if this feels gushing but the reality is that if you are under $1000 but want headphones as far under $1000 as you can I'd say get the Nighthawks. However, if $1000 is an easy cap, get the Vali. The refinement makes them such heavy hitters that despite the discomfort, the heaviness, the awkward fit I'm so ******* happy to listen to the Vali through my Vali (oddly enough) that none of the physical difficulties matter. They're warm, they're bassy, for most they are not "accurate" in a flat response sense. However, the sheer impact of the Vali overrides all of that, to my ears. 

Kennerton? Ya done good. I love ya. 

Yeah they have a lot of impact. And the comfort is definitely not the best.

I think you did good to describe the sound that way. When I update my review with the comparison to the final version I may quote you. They are probably the most visceral hps I have tried. The Elear is very dynamic and equally so if not a shade more or less. However the Elear has its sonic images smaller so every instument sounds a little less present, also the Vali has a denser weightier rendering of the notes. Visceral = dynamics + tone solidity

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #160 of 271

I think you did good to describe the sound that way. When I update my review with the comparison to the final version I may quote you. They are probably the most visceral hps I have tried. The Elear is very dynamic and equally so if not a shade more or less. However the Elear has its sonic images smaller so every instument sounds a little less present, also the Vali has a denser weightier rendering of the notes. Visceral = dynamics + tone solidity

I really wish you had listened to my HE-6 out of the vintage amp at our Portland meet bud.  I'd like to know if the Vali matches the HE-6 fed right. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #161 of 271

I really wish you had listened to my HE-6 out of the vintage amp at our Portland meet bud.  I'd like to know if the Vali matches the HE-6 fed right. 

It probably does honestly. I had the he-6 on speaker taps and on vintage before (though not for long)

The Vali doesn't reach as low and the Vali is not as controlled or as clean the HE-6 but it is not far off in solidity and probably has a more visceral sound overall. 

Please note this quality is not just heard in the bass. Pianos, hand percussion and slaps on drums, bells, etc have this quality as well. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #164 of 271
  You guys got me interested in Vali.

I'm wondering isn't this very high dynamics somewhat fatiguing? Could you compare it a bit more with LCD-2 pre-fazor?

More "meaty" but less low extension. The dynamics aren't fatiguing because they don't have spikes. It's more like the sound that's produced has heft to it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back