Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 7, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #1,457 of 10,023
So, the Tror has airier top and more extended sub-bass. How about the mid? I really hope it at least retains all the magical mid of the Odin. And does the low-end, while reach deeper, feel "weightier" (if you know what I mean) as well?

If that's the case, it would be very close to a perfect headphone for me :)

Hi Dave, :)

The sound of the Tror is quite differently from the Odin; it has less bass in level than the Odin (it is the opposite for the sub-bass) and its medium (mid) also sounds less warm, actually as Juho says, it is less luxuriant than the Odin, is a little less pleasant and attractive at first sight than that of the Odin especially charming; but there is one but; the mids of Tror are more precise, more distinct, with better separation of voices and notes (and better location and aeration) than the Odin; it is less colored than that of the Odin (less warm) and allows to better individualize and separate two female voices of different timbres but singing on the same note (same tone); moreover the Tror has a little more high-medium than the Odin and thus the instruments and voices sound seem both clearer but also fairer (because less colored by the small lack of high-mids (towards 2 - 2.5 KHz) of the Odin).

The mids of the Tror are more rigorous and serious compared to that of the Odin which is compared to him more fun and, during a first listening more "wow" and more addictive; but for a longer listening, we also appreciate much what the Tror adds in addition to the Odin: this rigor, cleanliness, definition and aeration, especially in the sound scene, more detailed and precise.

A small comparative in terms of image: if the Vali is a TV screen in definition 720 P, with very saturated colors; the Odin is a TV screen with a HD resolution of 2 K (1,080 P) and colors a little less saturated, but still very rich, then the Tror is an even larger TV screen, more fine and accurate with a 4 K definition, but still colors less saturated; more appropriate (fairer and even more natural) will say some, even if this notions of "fairer" and "more natural" are all relative.

Imho, the ideal would be to possess at the same time an Odin, for its fun, and its very addictive and very pleasant sonority, and to have also a Tror (headphone quite different from the Odin), for all that brings, more or different from the Odin, starting with greater rigor and "seriousness".
It takes everything to have a complete and varied world ...
If one day (not too far away) there is the possibility of upgrading one of your 3 Odin with the Tror drivers, in my opinion this would be a very good operation; remains to be hoped that it can be realized in practice, even if in theory nothing precludes it.

Eric

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,458 of 10,023
In addition, Pierre Paya, who also listened to the Tror for a long time, said about the medium (mid) of the Tror, compared to the Odin mk2 :
Quote (after translation) : " The Tror is not an Odin, we agree. But he offered me a very well structured medium, with this beautiful harmonic richness and although a little less "organic" than the Odin, much more accurate and according to my ears "more natural" because a little less "charged ". "
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179332645.html#p179332645
I agree with him.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,459 of 10,023
Hi again.

I just opened a new thread in the "High end" section, for the Kennerton Tror, Kennerton's new flagship; it deserved it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-tror-new-flagship-headphone.862222/

This new thread on Head-Fi is the first stone laid for the future users of the Kennerton Tror.

453724DSC1362a.jpg

Meanwhile, it's here (on the generalist Kennerton thread) (and also on the French HCFR forum) that I will discuss with you about this exciting new headphone Kennerton.:)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #1,461 of 10,023
@eric65 That's not fair, Eric. We cannot join you in that new thread yet!!! (And trust me, I want to) :p

By the way, that cable looks amazing and heavy-duty. Can you comment on it a bit?

Very soon Dave, in a few hours, the time to compare it with the two other cables delivered with the Kennerton Tror (those at the foot of the Tror), also in Litz wire, but of different quality and provenance.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,462 of 10,023
Hi, all.

My comparison of 4 cables has just been done, comprising the 3 Kennerton cables: the black Kennerton cable, nylon sheathed, connected to the Kennerton Tror headphone in the photo below, and the two other Kennerton cables loaned by Kennerton, black color and brown-copper color, roll up at the foot of the Tror, as well as the Pierre's Vectura C cable (beige color), also nylon sheathed.

677847DSC1287bb.jpg

526559DSC0112b.jpg

For my ear, the two best cables best suited to the Kennerton Tror headphone are the Kennerton stock cable (black, nylon sheathed), with a Litz wire of Russian origin, and the Vectura C cable from Pierre Paya (beige colored, also nylon sheathed), with the same Litz wire (Italian?) equipping the Viva Audio amps.

Of the 4 cables tested, they are both the prettiest to look at (and touch), the most dynamic ones to listen (note; it is very important for a headphone like the Tror) to while being also the most transparent and airy.

However, the Kennerton stock cable seem sounds more "raw", clearer in the medium, but a little less extended in the treble, than the Pierre Vectura C cable, perhaps a litlle more colored, softer in the medium and a little more felted (less "raw"), with more extension in the treble: it's like comparing a sweet cider with a "raw" cider (note: I like both types of cider, just like I like these two cables that I recommend both for the KennertonTror).

The other two cables loaned by Kennerton are for me less interesting for the Tror, less dynamic and transparent, although one of them (that in black color, not nylon sheathed) is very pleasant for its very high neutrality, but at the expense of dynamics.

The complete test of the four cables on the French forum HCFR, here:
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179335910.html#p179335910

Eric

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #1,463 of 10,023
Oct 9, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,464 of 10,023
N.B. There will soon be some articles published on HCFR about the Susvara :)

Yeh, :)

Here is finally the great review wrote by @dub, on HCFR, concerning the Hifiman Susvara (versus other headphones including the Kennerton Odin):
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/test-hcfr-du-casque-hifiman-susvara-un-nirvana-et-une-folie/
(note: warm up your favorite translator !)

Why talk about the Hifiman Susvara in the Kennerton thread?
Headphone that I have never listened to, and well because my friend Pierre Paya (a french reseller multi-brand for headphones), who has already listened to all these headphones in Nimes (France), considers that the Kennerton Tror is a possible hybrid of the Kennerton Odin with the ... Hifiman Susvara ; and I will believe it!

Especially when @dub said about the Susvara, in his great review above, the following words: "I do not think I have ever heard a headphone capable of both reproducing the foundations and the effect of room, in the low (bass), precisely so, while remaining as airy / aerial, I mean precise and detailed in the treble and this without any underlining, without any trace of aggressiveness."

This paragraph above interests me because it is exactly what I felt with the Kennerton Tror when comparing it to the Odin, during my comparative listening, last Tuesday.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,465 of 10,023
Kennerton Tror: the complete review (by @eric65)

As promised, here is an approximate English translation of my listening impressions of the Kennerton Tror prototype and a summary of what has already been published on the subject in the French forum and on the generalist Kennerton thread of Head-Fi.
Good reading ! :)

To begin this review of the Tror, I will first take back the beginning of what I already wrote on the new Head-Fi thread dedicated to the Kennerton Tror (link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-tror-new-flagship-headphone.862222/ ) , and especially thereafter to complete it with everything that has already been written on the French forum HCFR.

I have the great chance to test at home the prototype of the Kennerton Tror, a new flagship headphone from Kennerton, which is expected to be released by the end of 2017 or at the very beginning of the year 2018.

The prototype currently tested of the Kennerton Tror will differ from the future production of the Tror only by the external grid material, currently printed in 3D in synthetic material, which will be replaced by a superb aluminum grid with the same T-logo (T as "Tror").

453724DSC1362a.jpg

Kennerton Tror prototype with stock cable (Litz wire (russian) cable nylon sheathed, black color)

Why the name of Tror, and not Thor, or why not Zeus?

Max's explanation on the Russian forum, one of Kennerton's engineers:

Tror - the most logical name. Because it is one of the names of Odin (supreme Scandinavian god).
That is to say. it is like the same supreme god, but under different names (ie: Odin could reappear on Earth with different names).
And it makes sense in the same way. Since Tror is the further development of the Odin, preserving its main virtues and character.

Zeus - is not so logical. This god is not Scandinavian. And our company has after all roots in Sweden (and it's not a joke). Well, call the names of the younger gods, is not logical. Hence the idea of a new headphone model that will be of higher level than that of the Odin, "even more supreme" (translator's joke note).

Do not get me wrong, despite his appearances and his obvious affiliation with Kennerton Odin, his now little brother, an excellent planar headphone with a very addictive listening, and well the Tror hides well his game well, with 200 g less than the Odin (470 g versus 670 g, without the cable), and especially its new "High-tech" driver with its lightweight frame and especially its new generation membrane, lighter in "honeycomb".

1707921942469218903411845535858343361597573431296na.jpg

332621DSC0027bb.jpg

662120DSC0006bb.jpg

In spite of its appearance, the Tror is not a simple evolution of the Odin, it is a completely different headphone; It would be even, to be more exact, a hybrid of the headphone Odin with a headphone even more performing (and different) from the Odin; some who are familiar with this headphone and other competing headphones even talked about the headphone Hifiman Susvara as a comparator; It is not nothing, as a reference. :)

Unlike Hifiman Susvara, the Kennerton Tror has a sensitivity much closer to that of the Odin (104 dB / 1 mW - 40 Ohms) than the Susvara (83 dB / 1 mW - 60 Ohms), much more difficult to amplify.
I estimate the sensitivity of the Kennerton Tror at about 100 dB / mW (if the impedance of the new driver of the Tror is the same as that of the Odin) (Nb: for the same position of the volume potentiometer of the amplifier, we measure about 4.5 dB less with the Tror versus Odin, all frequencies combined).

995184DSC0024bb.jpg

387888DSC0035bb.jpg

A very good amplifier of at least 1 Watt of power (on 40 ohms), if possible in class A, should be enough to amplify the Tror.
The tube amplifier used to test the Tror is no less than the superb Viva 2A3 amplifier with its Lamborghini orange body which provides a wonderful sound, both with the Odin and the Tror.

989367DSC1350a.jpg

So the Tror is not an Odin, it is on many aspects and audio criteria much better than the Odin, and also sounds as differently from the Odin.
The tone, although close to the Odin, is quite different, clearer and much more precise, and also, more airy and more fine than the Odin. Yet the Odin is already a very precise headphone in the audio restitution.

677847DSC1287bb.jpg

Well, let's move on to my first listening impressions with the Kennerton Tror in comparison to my lovely Kennerton Odin mk2 in Karelian birch wood (light yellow orange color) ; informal discovery, without any outside influence.
Listening impressions realized exactly one week ago, and related in chronological order, originally on the French forum HCFR.

471081DSC1301bb.jpg

1st CD listened to, the master of the soundtrack of the American musical comedy "Hair": musical comedy dynamic at will, rich in voice and instruments.
Comparative listening of the Odin mk2 with improved Kennerton cable in Litz wire, and the Tror, also with improved cable in Litz wire, but sheathed black nylon (stock cable).

First impression a bit odd for the Tror (vs Odin); the sound seems sweeter, less demonstrative, with a little less level in the bass (less present); the voices are on the other hand very present, see too present (note: with the voices already highlighted on this recording), with a high-medium (upper medium) (towards 2-3 KHz) a little forward, accustomed that I was until now with a upper medium a little in withdrawal, a little recessive with the Odin ; I am a bit confused, because the female voices, perhaps already well present in the record), appear here as a little "shouty", limit aggressive, or at least too present on this frequency register. The treble seems to me less present and incisive (softer) with the Tror than the Odin mk2 which in the end seems more demonstrative and fun to listen.
However, the aeration of the Tror and the restitution of the micro sound details is superior to that of the Odin.

6c4bef2146697becd4f60bf35808eb7c--soundtrack-cover-art.jpg

Note: At this stage, I think I was conditioned to the very charming sound of the Odin, quite demonstrative on first listen, compared to the Tror, more "discreet" (less demonstrative) in the bass and the treble (softer) ; except in the upper medium more present with the Tror in direct comparison of the Odin, at least on this record, rather loaded in upper medium for the voices.

Still at this stage, I decided to use my best cable with the Tror, the Vectura C of Pierre, also in Litz wire, with a direct subjective effect, a significant improvement of this slight excess (in first appearance) of presence in the high-medium of the Tror (in direct comparison with the Odin mk2 which does not have enough) and a better presence and a better extension and finesse in the high-treble with this Vectura C cable and the Tror. I will talk about it later.

592104DSC1317bb.jpg

It is perhaps psychological, but I can say that I feel good with the cable Vectura C associated with the Tror, even very very well to the point that this cable has not left the Tror until the end of my listenings comparative.

Note: after a later comparison of the two cables: cable Vectura C (beige color) and cable Kennerton stok (black color) of the Tror, both of Litz wire and nylon sheathed (black color for the Tror and beige for the cable Vectura C of Pierre), I can say that this are the two best cables tested on the four present in the picture below: both the most dynamic and transparent of the comparison of the 4 cables; the Kennerton stock cable is probably the most dynamic and the least colored, putting a little more forward the high-medium than the cable Vectura C of Pierre, a little softer and less present in the high-medium but with a better extension in the high-treble (more present and finer) ; a matter of taste and color of sound. :)

677847DSC1287bb.jpg

526559DSC0112b.jpg

In short, the rest of the comparison was made with the Odin mk2 with the Kennerton cable improved in Litz wire (here with a rigid synthetic sheath) and the Tror with the cable Vectura C of Pierre (sheathed nylon in beige color).

I listened afterwards, Supertramp (Crime of the Century), very good with both headphones, but recording quality may be limited, with always the impression of a more demonstrative sound and a little more level in the bass with the Odin, and more aeration and general clarity, with the Tror, less demonstrative.

I then listened to a well known Jazz CD, which I know well, Jazz at the Pawnshop "High Life" which we had used as a reference in our great comparative Stax amp in 2013.
So, many clear differences appear with the Kennerton Tror Vs Odin; the Odin is still as demonstrative, player, warm, enthralling, pleasant to listen to, with "foot-tapping", but it looks colorful in comparison with the Tror, with a small overweight in the upper-low and low-medium giving it a warm character, lively and pleasant to the sound (very pleasant coloring), with a level of bass well present, with body, rhythm, texture, which pleases a lot ; but the instruments and voices, rather warm with the Odin (on the warm side of the neutral), are less clear and natural than those of the Tror.
With the Tror, the instruments and voices are, at the same time more present, more airy and giving the impression of sounding more just (than with the Odin), for the sax, the xylophone, the snare drum, the tambourine and the cymbals.
(Note: cymbals more extended in the high treble, more aerial, but always soft, never aggressive, with perhaps more presence in the upper medium (the body of the cymbal), but not too much in the upper harmonics and flicker).
Moreover, the small ambient noises and the feeling of being in the room where the musicians play seems more credible with the Tror than the Odin.
(Note : The Odin, which gives him an over-damping of the listening room, a bit like if the RT 50 of the room was short (damped) compared to a RT 50 room sounding less damping (RT 50 longest) with the Tror, without being confused, it is important to specify.

hqdefault.jpg

Then I went to listen to the female Trio that I particularly love the group L. E. J. and the CD, "Waiting for the album" (with Elisa the dark blond singer, Lucie the brown singer, and Juliette, the cellist).
Well, it was for me the first "crucial" CD (to differentiate the two headphones, the Tror and the Odin), a revelation with the Tror, because until now I remained hungry with the Odin by listening to the mixed chorus of these three female singers, especially I had sometimes great difficulty differentiating the voice of Elisa (singer with a lighter voice) and Lucie 's, with a fuller and more low voice, when these two female singers sang in chorus on the same tonality ; this because of the the sound coloring of the Odin which thickened the voice of Elisa, which was more difficult to distinguish from that of Lucie (naturally fuller). Well, with the Tror, the two voices differ very easily and I find "my" two female singers, each with their own voice and personality, instead of an amalgam of two voices difficult to distinguish.
It's for me "capital" (That is to say very important) this ability of the Tror to disentangle and distinguish two close voices of the same tone, and it is a real pleasure to be able to "identify" the voice of a singer (male or female) more easily, seeming to sing with their natural voice, and not a voice distorted (even if artificially embellished with the Odin) by the filter of a coloring (even pleasant), but not natural.
Just on the CD of the L.E.J., my heart swings and leans strongly towards the Tror. :)

L.E.J-hunger-games-hanging-tree-950x520.jpg

En-attendant-l-album.jpg

I then continued comparative listening by that of the CD of Rebecca Pidgeon, with the very beautiful title "The Raven". Second revelation, or rather a confirmation of what has been written above, the voice of Rebecca sounds like fairer, more natural because less colorful and "thickened" with the Tror vs Odin; the micro details are more present; the voice and the instruments are more airy, it is very clear; the feeling of greater transparency; the quality of the timbres (tone) seems to be better respected; the soundstage is very beautiful, precise, aerated, not extra large, although a little wider than that of the Odin, but with more air between the instruments, and especially a very beautiful depth. This beautiful soundstage should please a lot.

I then continued my comparative listening with listening to a Baroque music CD, Henry Purcell and the famous "King Arthur" (recording Erato with John Eliot Gardiner); in particular a piece where one listens to a female / male duo singers, which responds to each other, on the background of old instruments with string, with an "acid" sound of strings, to wish. Well, I had the thrill listening to this duet with both headphones, with voices perhaps more warm, with a little more body and heat with the Odin as well as a bass line a little more present ; but with the Tror, what "purity" of the voices !, what sensation of transparency and individualization of each voice and instruments, although with a little less body than the Odin; listen to cry also.
I love it and it took a great effort to leave the CD and go to the next CD.

R-5037050-1382791234-4621.jpeg.jpg

The continuation of my listening with other CD.
To please André, I listened to the 4th movement (10 minutes) of Shéhérazade of Rimski-Korsakov.
And well with the Odin, you get what you pay for the small demonstration effect, very pleasant, with powerful basses, which sound good (textured) with level; with musical instrumenst of rather warm tone with an enthusiastic dynamic, a particular violin because a little warm, but very beautiful to hear.
With the Tror, well it's different; the bass is certainly less present and less powerful (sound level); but the instruments sound more righteous, less colored (less warm), more airy and distinct (it is clear) with curiously more softness in the low and the high (treble) than the Odin, but with a more truthful medium in the timbres (tone) , clear and transparent where also extra micro information and ambient noise are extracted; it feels more like being immersed in the theater.
As for the extension to the top, in the continuous note of the violin in final, and it was a pity that André could not listen to what I could listen: a finesse, an extension to the top, and a "soft" accuracy (nothing overplayed) to have goose bumps. A real emotion.
There is no doubt, the violin is much better with the Tror than with the Odin, and I will even say, anticipating a little (after listening to the Viola da gamba with Jordi Savall), with all stringed instruments , which seem to sound fairer and more truthful than the Odin, compared to what one could hear in concert, without ever falling into the surgical and analytical hyper precision sound.

Then comes the sound of a CD of Dire Staits "Communique" (rock genre), well, it was also another revelation and another "crucial" CD to differentiate the two headphones: it is one of my oldest CDs that I ' have been using on all my Hi-Fi systems since the age of 18.
What to say, and well with the Tror, The CD sounds like it should sound, perhaps with a guitar sound less warm than that of the Odin with a little less body, but with a "sharpness" of the voice of the singer, and with a guitar sound, clearer and airy than that of the Odin, but not aggressive in the high (treble), very clean, just like the bass which certainly, seems to have a little less level than the Odin, but that remains remarkably clean; there may be a little less apparent texture and less weight on the bass, but it may be the result of a lighter, less heavy Tror membrane, giving less weight to the bass, but which seems on the other hand more agile and cleaner, and also more extended in the sub-bass (we will come back later), also a little more degreased in the high-low and low-medium, hence a less warm, clearer and cleaner, and more extended to the low (sub-bass).

There I will make a comparison with the Stax SR-009 that I owned.
On this album of Dire Straits, I appreciated the very high precision and clarity of the Stax SR-009, which revealed more micro information than that of the Audeze LCD3F, much more muffled in comparison (although much warmer) and the Odin mk2 which was more precise and clear than the LCD3-F, but which lacked clarity, micro details and aeration compared to the Stax SR-009.
Well, while wearing the Tror on the head, I first had the impression of putting my ex-headphone Stax SR-009 on the head, already for the impression of port on the head, very similar (for the weight that is very close), but also, because both headphone tightening my temples (side of the front) for my large head (Nb: we can not dismiss the Stax pads for reduce the clamping as I could do for my Odin mk2, but I did not dare to do it (even if possible) with the Tror, since this is not my headphone).
Then, the aeration of the Tror, its transparency, its clarity, its ability to restore micro-information, and its weak coloration reminded me of the sound of the Stax 009, but perhaps less brilliant in the high (treble) than the Stax with more body (matter) in the medium and more impact in the bass (and sub-bass), than the Stax.

I then listened to a piece of classical flamenco guitar with the famous "Entre dos aguas" by the late Paco de Lucia. The guitar is warmer, with a more demonstrative sound (but very pleasant to hear) with the Odin; but with the Tror, we have a more airy sound that seems to sound more just in tone, like a real classical guitar. (NB: my wife play classical guitar, which gives me an idea of how to sound a classical guitar, even if there are differences in sounds, from one guitar to another).

Another crucial test for the Tror, which I expected at the turn, with the classical piano; instrument that I particularly like, having "bathed" in the sonority of the piano since childhood (including the Erard and the Bösendorfer of my mother). Well, I was not disappointed, and I was relieved to hear that the Tror was responding to the criticism I had made for the right hand of the piano with the Odin, and even worse with the LCD3F, ie a right hand a little restrained, suffocated, lacking presence, compared to the left hand, well present with the Odin and predominant with the Audeze LCD3F.
Surely; if it is to have a right hand of the piano very (too) damped with lacking presence and clarity in the high-medium and the high (treble) with a headphone, it can be frustrating (case of the Odin) and prohibitive (case of the LCD3-F) for those who appreciate the full extent and the harmonic richness of a piano.
You must know that the piano sounds above all in the medium with bass and treble slightly attenuated, but not too much; and this is exactly what the Tror does, and I find with him the sound of a real piano! I am happy! :)
I have experimented listening with two classic piano CDs: Schumann (with Clara Haskil) and Debussy (with Aldo Ciccolini); my preference goes clearly to the Tror.

To finish (my first comparative listening of last Tuesday), I still listened to 3 others CDs: CD of Techno music (Electronic music) with Stromae; CD of reggae (live) with Bob Marley, and again CD of Baroque music with Marin Marais and Jordi Savall at the controls.

To begin with, let's not forget the Techno (Electronic music) lovers, and well the Tror, with Stromae was for me another revelation and another crucial point (of differentiation between the two headphones); the Tror is for my ear perfect for the Electronic music; beginning with the veracity of the timbre of the voice of the singer Stromae, never as well heard, including with my ex Stax SR-009 headphone; and especially, bass, percussion, and infra-bass; there are infra-bass with the Tror, strong, probably more than with the Odin, and of a breathtaking cleanliness, without counting all the rest of the audio spectrum, very clean, clear, balanced, in the sense that it is not not aggressive in the high, that it is airy, transparent, and especially very clean and distinct to listen: a real pleasure. :)

When to the late Bob Marley and his Live Concert "Babylon by Bus"; ah this late Bob! whom I have known for his music since my adolescence; and well, just listen to the live sounds of this Live Concert, particularly alive and giving the feeling of being in the crowd with the Tror.
One of my best listening from Bob Marley. :)

To conclude my comparative listening (between the Tror and the Odin), a CD of Jordi Savall with Baroque music; and indeed I have already spoken of it concerning the fidelity of the representation of these ancient stringed instruments; it is both beautiful (even if with the Odin it is as beautiful but in addition warm for the tone); but I think the timbres (tone) are even more natural with the Tror, with a just perfect acidity of the strings (in my ear), aeration and a distinction of sound between that of the strings, (more present) and the body of the instrument (perhaps a little less full), which make the one of the Tror is also very pleasant to listen with these old string instruments. Probably a middle ground between that of the Odin and a Stax SR-009 (or a Hifiman Susvara ? you'll see for what will follow as comments).

Here is what I can say tonight (last Tuesday), after a few hours of comparative listening between the new Kennerton flagship, the Tror, in my opinion a great success, and the Kennerton Odin, another success, but on a different string, with a sound more demonstrative and warm, see addictive, immediately pleasant compared to the Tror wich is less demonstrative, with less "Wow" effect, than the Odin.

But the Tror, the apparently non-demonstrative Tror at the first listenings, will gradually prove to be more accurate, with more transparency, aeration, precision, cleanliness, ability to restore small ambient noise for listeners more patient and demanding; the Tror enchanted me for that.:)

Several CDs have been determinants to me by showing the sometimes clear differences between these two headphones; these crucial points are decisive for me to consider very seriously, for the beggining of the year 2018, the purchase of a Tror, or optionally, to be more pragmatic and reasonable for my finances, with the upgrading of my lovely Odin in Karelian birch with the lighter and more performing drivers of the Tror.
For me it is clearly worth the cost (literally and figuratively).

A final detail, for the maniac to the noises that I am ; the difference in sensitivity of the Tror with respect to that of the Odin (- 4.5 dB all frequencies combined for the Tror Vs Odin, for a given position of the volume potentiometer of the amp), is very real, and in particular by reducing of 4.5 dB the background noise of my tube amp, although very low , but perceptible in the silences, same volume knob to zero, which is very appreciable because the noise of background changes from very low to insignificant.

And now, here a comparative listening complement of the Tror Vs Odin, 2 days later, with two other CDs, to test the sub-bass of the two headphones; and some other relative measurements of the frequency response of the Tror and the Odin, with a louder pink noise level to improve the ratio signal/noise in low frequencies.

First by listening to great Bach Organs (Toccata and Fugues BWV 565) with the Tror Vs Odin: with the Tror the sound of the great Organs is excellent; the sub-basses (1st octave of the organ) are present and reproduced without frustration, without being truncated (unlike the Odin); the separation of registers and the notes, the reverberation, and the excellent aeration, without brilliancy in the high (treble), but without lack either; restitution very homogeneous, extended at both ends the audio spectrum, and aerated. Of the great organ.

Second, with listening to the CD of the soundtrack of the movie Avatar, this time the CD listened in full with the Tror.
I confirm what I did not dare to hope at the beginning with the Tror compared to the Odin: it is the real presence of sub-basses and slick (wave) of sub-bass that were lacking with the Odin (one of its weak points).
I am categorical and it is for me a very good surprise, because to listen (and visualize) the film Avatar without sub-bass, well well one loses much of the atmosphere and immersion in the universe of the film Avatar.
Always concerning the listening to this CD soundtrack of the film Avatar, we find again the precision, the aeration, the "cleanliness" of the sound in all the registers which are also better with the Tror Vs Odin; one is surprised to hear simultaneously some acute sounds of extreme finesse and delicacy played by the same driver which at the same time restitute to you the very impressive slick (wave) of sub-bass, furthermore very detailed and textured.

The Tror will be an excellent headphone to listen to the soundtrack of the films in use Home Cinema, for its excellent aeration, separation of the voices and instruments, very cleanliness of the sounds of the most serious to the acute, and restitution without sensation of frustration of the sub-bass such as earthquakes or truck noise in your neighborhood, which can sometimes be heard on certain CDs (background noise when taking sound).

For me the best sub-bass ever heard, with the Tror, before the Odin (which does not have enough), the LCD3-F (which are not as clean and detailed), the Stax SR-009, which does not did not leave an imperishable memory for the sub-bass, and even my two caissons of bass, which certainly rolled in the grave, but without this extreme cleanliness of the low and sub-bass of the Tror.

The criticism of the Odin for its lack of sub-bass no longer holds with the Tror.

Otherwise, I confirm on other CD that the impact of the bass percussions and the snare drum is excellent with the Tror, like the Odin but in more cleaner, drier.

And now here the last measurements of the FR of the Tror and the Odin, this time with a louder pink noise to improve the signal-to-noise ratio in the low (and sub-bass).

162727DSC0089cc.jpg

490954DSC0107cc.jpg

It can be seen from the pictures above that the 20 Hz frequencie, characteristic of a deep sub-bass is reproduced at -8 dB (relative to 100 Hz) with the Tror, while it is reproduced at about -14 dB (relative to 100 Hz) with the Odin, ie a difference of relative level of 6 dB (at 20 Hz relative to 100 Hz), in favor of the Tror wich have significantly more sub-bass than the Odin.

In summary the Tror has significantly more sub-bass quantitatively (and also qualitatively, with a very great cleanliness of the bass and sub-bass compared to the Odin). Without forgetting the excellent impact of the Tror for percussions.

It is also found that the 100 Hz is at 0 dB compared to the 1.000 Hz with the Tror, whereas it is at +4 dB, always compared to the same 1000 Hz with the Odin, hence, perhaps this feeling more bass (in level) with the Odin compared to the Tror (to be distinguished, however, with the feeling of lack of sub-basses of the Odin versus the Tror), and also this warmer tone of the Odin compared to the Tror due to a frequency response slightly downward, while that of the Tror seems more flat.

Otherwise to conclude and summarize my listening impressions with the Kennerton Tror compared to the Odin ; of course the perfect headphones does not exist, and will never exist, but it is clear that the guys of Kennerton, by some magic trick, seem to have arrived with the Tror in significant improvements by correcting real defects of the Odin, or character traits (not necessarily defects) which are:
- The bring of the sub-bass which the Odin lacked, besides being of exemplary cleanliness.
- The correction of an slighty excess of duskiness in the upper medium, a little too recessive with the Odin; so with a upper medium less recessive (more forward) with the Tror.
- The appreciable improvement of the treble, at the same time finer, extended and airy, without ever being aggressive, always very sweet, with a "soft" accuracy (nothing overplayed).
- An even better tonal accuracy in the medium, a little less "warm", with better harmonization with the low (bass) and the high (treble).
- A better aeration, accuracy, and tiering of the soundstage, even more beautiful and precise than that of the Odin, not extra large, but a little wider than that of the Odin, much more airy, with also an excellent depth and a very good detachment of the sound plans.

In this sense Peter in the french forum HCFR is right in saying that the Tror is an Odin +++, but it would also be more accurate to say that the Tror is something other than the Odin, despite its appearance and its obvious relationship to the Odin ; it is something intermediary (we will say a synthesis or a hybrid) of the Odin with another headphone even more performing (and different from the Odin); Peter speaks about the Hifiman Susvara (whom I do not know), and I believe him! :).

Eric

Post-scriptum: A big thank you to Pierre Paya, the French importer of the Kennerton brand, and also to the Kennerton team for the trust granted in the loan of an exceptional headphone, the Kennerton Tror, visibly at the top of the planar headphones, with the Abyss, the Audeze LCD4 and the Hifiman Susvara; no doubt. :)

Not counting the 3 cables that Kennerton loaned me for test; the Kennerton stock cable, in Litz wire and nylon sheathed in black color, being the most dynamic and transparent cable and also the least colored of the 3 Kennerton cables tested; equal to the excellent Pierre Paya Vectura C cable, also in Litz wire and nylon sheathed in beige color, but with some subtle differences in tone.
(nb: see the comparison of the two cables in the review above and for more details for the cables comparison, on the french HCFR forum at this link: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179335910.html#p179335910 ).

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,467 of 10,023
Thank you to all of you ! :)

And sorry for the approximate translation from French to English, but I tried it to be less "brutal" than that of google translate!
At least I would have tried ... :beyersmile:

PS: I also corrected some imperfections that were present in the original text on the French forum (HCFR); you have here the latest version of the comparative review of the two headphones: the Tror and the Odin mk2, and in addition you have here the YouTube videos of the CDs listened to! :)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,468 of 10,023
Hi all,

Hi Max.

I understood from reading the Russian forum that the Kennerton Odin was very expensive (and even too expensive) for many people in Russia, and even outside Russia (as in France, the USA, and many others countries in the world); And yet the cost of producing such a Planar headphone (the Kennerton Odin) would be quite high; it would therefore be difficult for Kennerton to make its price lower than at present, especially for the Russian domestic market.
If Kennerton wanted to achieve greater margins and profits it would probably make the price of the Odin even higher; but that is not the case.

So, what about Kennerton's new flagship, the Tror?

Well, I will not tell you formally about the price of the Kennerton Tror, the final price of which has not yet been fixed, but I have already given an estimate of the price on the dedicated thread of the Kennerton Tror on Head-Fi, based on the price of 3000 Euros (without tax) which was advanced by Kennerton CEO (M. Valentin Kazanzhi) at the very first presentation of the Tror at the High End of Munich 2017.

This price of the Tror will therefore be even higher than that of the Odin, about a factor of multiplication of the price of about x 1.47 in relation to the price of the Odin; the price multiplier is quite reasonable compared to other brands where the price increase factor is rather a factor x 2 by switching from an old flagship to a new flagship.

Well, is it worth it (and the cost) to spend all this money for the Tror, knowing its qualities and its price, especially compared to the Odin, which is already quite expensive for many of us ?

Well, I will answer yes and no.

Yes, if you have the financial ressources and you are very demanding for sound quality; it will bring together music lovers a little purist, demanding audiophiles, and people combining these two qualities (or defect?); not to mention the authentic collectors, art lovers in the field of headphones.
To each to recognize themselves in this description :dt880smile:.

If you do not have the possibility to finance a new Tror, and well, it remains in theory the possibility of upgrading its Kennerton Odin with the drivers of the Tror, for a price much less than the purchase of a new Tror.

Note: Personally I am between these two description: between the music lover and the audiophile on the one hand (nb: I must be a bit of both, depending of the day ) and on the other hand, I hesitate between these two purchase options: purchase of a Tror new, or upgrade of my Odin mk2 with the drivers of the Tror; I still hesitate, because the sound of the Odin is very addictive and pleasant, quite unique, and it is not obvious for me to take the step to go to the sound different from the Tror, even if more "technical" and performing absolutely.

As always, the ideal is to have both headphones; but it is also necessary to have the financial resources ...

Otherwise, you should know that Kennerton (*) has two philosophies, that of giving access to the best headphones at its fair price; the other philosophy, close to the first, is to make accessible to the greatest number people of high-quality audio products.
(*) (or at least Fischer Audio, the parent company)

Well, I sincerely hope that Kennerton will continue in this way, beginning by keeping the Kennerton Odin production at the fairest price, both for its domestic market and for export; and to release its new flagship Kennerton Tror (early 2018?) with an acceptable price, that is to say also the fairest, with a price multiplication factor that would not be exceed x 1.47 compared to the price of the Odin, and not a more extravagant price multiplication factor, as x 2, as with other brands with their latest flagship headphones.

Finally, and most importantly, it seems to me very important and also "very fair" that Kennerton can leave some Odin owners (who trust the Kennerton brand) a theoretical (and practical) possibility of upgrading their Odin with the drivers of the Tror, for a reasonable price (ie at a fair price) ; of course when they will be produced in sufficient quantity, for all those who do not have the financial ressources or the desire to buy a new Tror.

That said, I repeat myself again, the ideal for me would still be to keep his Odin (if you have one) for fun and for its very addictive sonority, and to acquire a Tror (on condition of having the financial possibility), for all that it can brings in addition to the Odin, knowing that the two headphones are nevertheless different in their tonality.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,469 of 10,023
If you do not have the possibility to finance a new Tror, and well, it remains in theory the possibility of upgrading its Kennerton Odin with the drivers of the Tror, for a price much less than the purchase of a new Tror.

Note: Personally I am between these two description: between the music lover and the audiophile on the one hand (nb: I must be a bit of both, depending of the day ) and on the other hand, I hesitate between these two purchase options: purchase of a Tror new, or upgrade of my Odin mk2 with the drivers of the Tror; I still hesitate, because the sound of the Odin is very addictive and pleasant, quite unique, and it is not obvious for me to take the step to go to the sound different from the Tror, even if more "technical" and performing absolutely.

As always, the ideal is to have both headphones; but it is also necessary to have the financial resources ...

It seems that my little story (I posted here before, IIRC) of how I "unintentionally" ended up with 2 Odins MkII (one in Amaranth, another in Bog Oak) turned out to be a little more fortunate. So I could upgrade it and end up with an Odin MkI, an Odin MkII, and a Tror. (I know, I know, if I had only bought just one Odin MkII and then later buying a new Tror, it's probably cheaper, but since I ended up with 2 of them already anyway).

Now .... maybe one day Kennerton might come up with a way for me to upgrade my Vali (kidding here, of course).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #1,470 of 10,023

Now .... maybe one day Kennerton might come up with a way for me to upgrade my Vali (kidding here, of course).

Hi, Dave.

It is not impossible this possible upgrade of your Vali (for the sound and the weight), but with the drivers of the ... Tror! (it's a joke, sure!) :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back