Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 8, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #887 of 10,023
Totally agree with him.

Me too ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a note about the translation of its conclusion:

Original text, in french: "Nom de dieu (oui, avec un petit"d" puisque je n'y crois pas, hihi), les cocos de chez Kennerton sont quand même de sacrés petits filous, ils ont compris pas mal de chose de la retranscription de la MUSIQUE !"

With the raw translation of google translate: "god's name (yes, with a small "d" since I do not believe it, hihi), coconuts home Kennerton are still sacred little rascals, they understood a lot of things from the transcript of the MUSIC!"

and after correction of the translation (for my English, low
wink.gif
):  "god's name (yes, with a small "g" since I do not believe it, hihi), russians guys from kennerton (of the ex USSR) are nevertheless devilishly smart (and astute) ; they understood a lot of things about the retranscription of the MUSIC! "

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #890 of 10,023

the greatest good for the co-inventor of the super-dupond resonator!

Eric

Thanks!
However I regard Sorrodje to be the one and only inventor of the SDR. My latest and definitive mod was clearly closer to the Senn's S mod because I did fill the hole only with air, haha: in the inner hole: 2 layers of thin fabric to the outside grid and a perforated disc of creatology on top. This way you get a real resonator enhancing sub-bass range without effect on low-mids and reducing the 6kHz peak. Measurements obviously showed Senn's ingeneers were on the right way.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #891 of 10,023
Hi all.

This is a try of translation, french to english, of the Odin's review written by Agnostic1er, on the french forum HCFR.

original post: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179046351.html#p179046351

Agnostic1er is a DIYer of first order (see the post above), he's also one of the administrators of the french forum HCFR (section DIY) with almost 8000 messages. In short, he knows very well the Hifi (loudspeakers and headphones).

May God (and Agnostic1er) forgive me, for my translation inaccuracies ...
wink.gif

ODIN, the why of a choice.

The 3 and 4/11 were the 2 days spent in Nimes at Pierre Paya, partly with Claude17 which I welcome him by the way, for the purposes of choosing a headphone that satisfies me, for some time in any case.. After switching from the HE500 to the HD 800, after changing the latter to an S alike, I bought a beautiful LCD2F about a month ago. The latter went in the desired direction but unfortunately was too dark for my tastes. After flying over almost all of the HDG headphones presented by Pierre Paya, the Odin was the last remaining in contention. This headphone is not "the best in the world"... But none are, huh.

My choice was relatively fast for two main reasons:

1) the Odin offers a tone very balanced across all his band frequency, tonal balance being the first of the criteria essential to my ears; the only complaints I would have against him are:
-a slight character of duskiness , but which is audible on some recordings in which the high-mid/low-treble is not very pronounced
- treble which is not as refined that on a Utopia for example (IMHO the current reference on this frequency range)
- bass slightly forward, but, surprisingly, never boomy
- finally, the sweetness is not his thing, and for good reason ...
2) the Odin has no competitors, and by very far, in terms of impact and generosity controlled... and of resolution, Yes, Yes!
These unique features, never found at the same time found on other headphones in for me, bring what is missing in all the others headphones, to my ears anyway: on most of the recordings it is closer to the heart of music, of these sound waves that make you flow a small tear, which make you erect hairs, which make you the beat with arms head, feet or any other part of the body, it increases the pleasure of listening, simply. And if sometimes it does too much, it is that often listening level is simply too important.
-80% of the music and the voice, is it the medium (mids). And the medium of the Odin is a marvel; Apart from the quality of transients in this register, it is of exemplary linearity. These two features give a wealth of extraordinary timbre to the voices; the slightest inflection, the most tenuous of the explosive consonants are transcribed with a realistic and natural to fall character. Strikes all forms of percussion or instruments with struck strings, the breath of the winds are so strong, such a high density, and tonal colors with such a wealth, that it's like comparing an English monitor loudspeaker to a big high-efficiency system. The reverberations: I am very sensitive, on the Odin, they are so perfectly transcribed throughout their weakening what they become obvious! they fit in the message so perfectly that the place of registration takes realistic proportions at will. I sometimes read a somewhat "shooty" mids: it's not wrong, but that's often because the listening level is too important... An instrument listened to too much (too strong) and it becomes aggressive or disproportionate, no?
-bass? It's simple: explain what it is that the bass to a quidam: he does not understand? Place an Odin (or an Abyss) on his head: no need to say anything: level, texture, matter, everything is there! Even the sub-bass is at the level of the Abyss, except that it is slightly shortened on the Odin. I have a disc of electronic music that gives a modulated sub-bass, passing from strong to weak in a short time; well this is the 1st time I hear this modulation; on my previous headphones it was not there, or rather I had never heard it. The bass never overflows on the low-mids, never. But it is true that sometimes it is slightly too forward... but it's funny, only on some tracks where... the bass is too present, LOL.
-the treble? sparkling, full of life, never aggressive; but as said above, it does not however have the refinement of some electrodynamic tenors (ie Focal Utopia); but it is not far to have the finesse of an electrostatic...
-Image and sound plans: aeration and density combined, it gives what you think: well Yes, the "presence", the "detour" of the notes, without any ethereal character. Remarkable. Then of course, sound plans is not equal to that of an Abyss or an HD800... but it's not that far away in the end. If the sound comes from 20 meters on the latter two, he comes from 15 meters on the Odin, it's not a difference huge isn't it?
-Finally, dynamics, or attacks, or transient, call it what you like; well again it is simple: the rising edge is a fundamental frequency; If it is not present, not "to attack"; However the damping it is what makes their quality; and the damping is top notch! So the notion of "speed" for me there is no. I always say: Beware of an element (of a chain Hi-Fi) that offers you a dynamic exacerbated (not the real one felt), one time or another you will suffer the consequences, it's "fake".

Here I end my impressions here and still thank Pierre Paya for his kindness, his sense of hospitality, professionalism; in this last regard, I saw him at work with Claude17: came with enough anchored intend to go with a Utopia, he's effectively gone with... but only after Pierre insisted he make listened to other headphones, including some cheaper, that's saying... For my part I went with the Odin of demonstration of Pierre...

Goddammit! Guys at Kennerton are true rascals, they really know a lot about conveying recorded MUSIC ! (note: Ребята из Кеннертона все таки достаточно сообразительные, они поняли много вещей для воспроизведения музыки, in russia)

NB: headphones listened mainly on my transistor DIY amp and sometimes on two monsters at Viva (Egoista 2A3 and 845).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #895 of 10,023
  Not posting here a while (still waiting for my 2nd Odin).

I just moved to a new home and the (1st) Odin's case serves nicely as a "showpiece" in the living room.

Nice ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoyable headphones, really desirable!

Interesting upgrade for the headband, for improving comfort (me too with my padded headband
wink.gif
).

Listen "pleasure", without having to think (and ask questions).

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #898 of 10,023
  Not posting here a while (still waiting for my 2nd Odin).

I just moved to a new home and the (1st) Odin's case serves nicely as a "showpiece" in the living room.

Looks great! I have to do the same )

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #899 of 10,023
Headphones received!

Unpacking is a wonderful thing. The presentation is beautiful.

Just starting with the Vali, very first impressions: I love them! So far, this is just what I've been wanting in a (mostly rock music) headphone. The descriptions people have posted here are right on. Very pleased.

And looking forward to the Odin next (for classical/other mostly acoustic musics)...

Thanks again everyone here for sharing your info/impressions. And thanks Kennerton Team!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back