Kennerton LSA HP2
Dec 23, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #136 of 150
I hear you and yep, it's difficult. We're all hoarders to at least some extent :D

When I think about which cans to let go, I ask myself which model I wouldn't repair if one its driver was dead. Sometimes this helps :wink:
@Shane D I see that you own a GH2 and used to own LSA HP-2 ultra. I read several posts of your regarding those two. How do you think they compare in terms of liveliness of sound and technical abilities ? I love good sub-bass and non-fatiguing treble.

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #137 of 150
@Shane D I see that you own a GH2 and used to own LSA HP-2 ultra. I read several posts of your regarding those two. How do you think they compare in terms of liveliness of sound and technical abilities ?

Not sure why was my post quoted, but some extra feedback on LSA HP2 in a specific context won't hurt for sure :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 23, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #139 of 150
@Shane D I see that you own a GH2 and used to own LSA HP-2 ultra. I read several posts of your regarding those two. How do you think they compare in terms of liveliness of sound and technical abilities ? I love good sub-bass and non-fatiguing treble.
It's funny that you ask. I think the HP-2's are like a closed back set of Grado's. They have as much mid and upper detail as my GH2's and, like the GH2's, I felt that they were a bit bass light. I think the imaging and separation was maybe even better than my Grado's.

However I couldn't get past the fact that I was buying a set of closed backs to bring the bass.
I really liked the HP-2's, but I prefer the Focal Elex's/Clear's, Grado GH2's, HE6se V2's and even the Basso SR2's.

And I found my closed backs for the bass. :L3000:

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #140 of 150
It's funny that you ask. I think the HP-2's are like a closed back set of Grado's. They have as much mid and upper detail as my GH2's and, like the GH2's, I felt that they were a bit bass light. I think the imaging and separation was maybe even better than my Grado's.

However I couldn't get past the fact that I was buying a set of closed backs to bring the bass.
I really liked the HP-2's, but I prefer the Focal Elex's/Clear's, Grado GH2's, HE6se V2's and even the Basso SR2's.

Lastly, your thoughts on GH2 vs Hemp ( with same pads, L or F) vs Focal clear (OG)?

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #141 of 150
Lastly, your thoughts on GH2 vs Hemp ( with same pads, L or F) vs Focal clear (OG)?
My GH2's thrive with my Beautiful Audio pads. A match made in aural heaven, to me. Very, very close behind is the Hemps with the Beautiful Audio pads. That is why I have been trying to sell the Hemps. They are almost as good and very similar. I tried many other pads on the Hemps and was not really moved.

If someone out there is looking for a GH2, the Hemps with BA pads are well worth looking into.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #142 of 150
My GH2's thrive with my Beautiful Audio pads. A match made in aural heaven, to me. Very, very close behind is the Hemps with the Beautiful Audio pads. That is why I have been trying to sell the Hemps. They are almost as good and very similar. I tried many other pads on the Hemps and was not really moved.

If someone out there is looking for a GH2, the Hemps with BA pads are well worth looking into.
Thanks @Shane D , this was really helpful. Any thoughts on GH2/Hemp vs Focal Clear (OG) (or if you got a chance to try Meze 109 pro)?

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #143 of 150
Thanks @Shane D , this was really helpful. Any thoughts on GH2/Hemp vs Focal Clear (OG) (or if you got a chance to try Meze 109 pro)?
Focal headphones are a whole different ballgame. My Elex's were my favourites for a few years. Very W-shaped sound. Lots of bass, great mids and just enough treble. I am still trying to get a feel for the Clear's as I just picked them up several weeks a go. Definitely bassier, but I preferred the Elex's on some music. That was just on the initial two introduction.

Haven't even seen a 109 Pro in person. However I did just re-buy the 99 Classic's as a gift for my wife. I loved those five years ago as my on the go/take to work headphones. She will be using them for the TV.

PS: Apologies for non-related info on the thread!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #144 of 150
It has been a while. So, what's your thoughts on the GH40's?
Greetings Shane. It has been a long while since my last post. I had been working this past year and now am retired (7 days running now). So now I finally have some time to get reacquainted with my HP-2's again and now splitting time with the GH-40s. Not enough time yet to really talk about the GH40s and the new amp, but I think they need some more time breaking in... The 40s have about 12 hours on them now and I have been alternating each with Cayin N3Pro running through my new addition amp (Schiit/Nitsch Piety).
I will say that little amp is pretty amazing...I'll be in touch with updates, not sure where (which forum?). Closed backs I guess, but I'll be sure to send you a notice (pm)...
Feels good to done with work...
Cheers

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #145 of 150
Greetings Shane. It has been a long while since my last post. I had been working this past year and now am retired (7 days running now). So now I finally have some time to get reacquainted with my HP-2's again and now splitting time with the GH-40s. Not enough time yet to really talk about the GH40s and the new amp, but I think they need some more time breaking in... The 40s have about 12 hours on them now and I have been alternating each with Cayin N3Pro running through my new addition amp (Schiit/Nitsch Piety).
I will say that little amp is pretty amazing...I'll be in touch with updates, not sure where (which forum?). Closed backs I guess, but I'll be sure to send you a notice (pm)...
Feels good to done with work...
Cheers
Congrats! That is the dream for all of us old guys. :thumbsup:

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #147 of 150
I am looking to get one of these cans. Has anyone ever sent the HP2s to JM (John Massaria) for modding?

I have.
These particular cans had, at least to my ears a problem with resonance. It made them dry and their sound, although pleasing, did not fulfill my expectations. John Massaria's mod fixed this. His mod has taken the execution of the headphones as far as it can be done. They are now resonance free, and in turn they are like a clear window into the performance (although colored in the midrange- I asked John to maintain their tonal balance as I think it's fairly pleasing to my ears). I don't have much experience at all with high end headphones so I cannot provide any comparisons. But to my ears both Timbre and PRAT are dead on, which is critical for me. Stage is fairly large. Playing well-recorded classical or atmospheric albums such as the Akira Soundtrack provide uncompressed dynamics in a space that belittles the room. And overall, they have this curious effect of becoming like wormholes, directing the sound-wave straight into your brain while bypassing the ear. However, if you are looking to buy a set of LSAs I would instead go direct to John and buy a set of his headphones. He sells Beryllium-driver headphones at superlative costs, quite a bit less than what I have so far spent on the cans. I am sure they have the best price-performace ratio in all off head-fi and have plans to pick up a pair later down the road.

PS: My LSAs have an Audio Envy Tonekraft wired to them. The Tonekraft sounds like there's no cable at all. If you're the sort to upgrade cables, and like myself are delicate to phase, transient response, and timing I think it is a no-brainer over other cables as long as you don't mind the slightly DIY feel.

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #148 of 150

I have lsa hp 2 headphones but Kennerton gh50 have much stronger bass because it have two bigger bass port and I would like to get same effect in my lsa that's why I'm thinking about maybe drill bigger hole or use triangle file to make bass port bigger . Any suggestions how to accomplish that ? Right now bass port is triangle with aprox 1/8" arms . Should I live it and drill another bass port or maybe two and where or should I drill bigger whole where triangle port is right now or maybe I should use triangle file and make hole bigger ? What dimension do you recommend . I'm attaching picture of kennerton bass port location .

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #149 of 150
A general question, will the lastest version HP-2 SE sound the same as the original HP-2's? I'm looking to get one or the other, with the SE version really a good looking set... thank you.
UPDATE: I posed a question and an answer came back from the LSA website (Larry). The two are identical in build and sound signature and the only difference is a cosmetic one, whereas the HP-2 Ultra SE has the Zembrano wood... Anyway, I drank the koolaide, and was fortunate to find a used pair today that's about a month old...They will be here early next week. It feels like Black Friday and Christmas combined, pretty excited. I'm definitely looking forward to listening to some great music with these...
Cheers
I have lsa hp 2 headphones but Kennerton gh50 have much stronger bass because it have two bigger bass ports and I would like to get same effect in my lsa that's why I'm thinking about maybe drill bigger hole or use triangle file to make bass port bigger . Any suggestions how to accomplish that ? Right now bass port is triangle with aprox 1/8" arms . Should I live it and drill another bass port or maybe two and where or should I drill bigger whole where triangle port is right now or maybe I should use triangle file and make hole bigger ? What dimension do you recommend . I'm attaching picture of kennerton bass port location .

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #150 of 150
I have lsa hp 2 headphones but Kennerton gh50 have much stronger bass because it have two bigger bass port and I would like to get same effect in my lsa that's why I'm thinking about maybe drill bigger hole or use triangle file to make bass port bigger . Any suggestions how to accomplish that ? Right now bass port is triangle with aprox 1/8" arms . Should I live it and drill another bass port or maybe two and where or should I drill bigger whole where triangle port is right now or maybe I should use triangle file and make hole bigger ? What dimension do you recommend . I'm attaching picture of kennerton bass port location .
I have no idea as I would never try that. I found mine bass light, sold them and moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back