KEF new headphones!
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #571 of 685
Well the WS99 is a portable and is more comfortable than the M500, so not really apples and oranges. And don't get me wrong, I love the M500 (especially for it's sound). I'm not thinking about giving it up, but it hurts my head after awhile. lol...It's fine on the ear though (the JVC S500 is a portable that hurt on the ears). 

Then they had to sacrifice sound quality for the WS99s. Thankfully that is not the case with the M500s. Plus every head is different.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #573 of 685
Quote:
They are oddly shaped.  I wear them behind the head.

Isn't that intended positioning? You also need a pony tail to keep them from falling back.
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #574 of 685
Quote:

Isn't that intended positioning?

The more "classy" they try to make headphones look, the worse it gets. 

They look hilariously stupid in my opinion. I suppose everyone has different tastes with this sort of thing so fair enough if people enjoy that design...I must be out of the loop or something with what constitutes great design 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #575 of 685
Quote:
Dual-dynamic drivers on the IEM's. Interesting? I've never heard of this before in IEM's.

Yes,we have other brands/models as well to add up.....Brainwavz's current "R1" and soon to launch "R3",MEElectronics M-Duo (launched apr/may 13 I guess), TDK Life on Record IE800, Maxell MXH-DD600 BK (launched last week), Radius HP-TWF11(think it's the first model on DD-IEM,not sure,I may be wrong) Fischer Audio TANDEM,Fujitsu HLEPH0002......

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #577 of 685
Quote:

They look hilariously stupid in my opinion. I suppose everyone has different tastes with this sort of thing so fair enough if people enjoy that design...I must be out of the loop or something with what constitutes great design 
biggrin.gif

You're definitely in the minority but entitled to your opinion. I think they look great compared to... every other phone with the same design except maybe the Momentums.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #578 of 685
I am surprised the Cityscape Downtown did not make it into the comparison.  They are the most comfortable and neutral sounding on-ear I have heard that can be found for under $100.

I think they are one of the most overlooked headphones here and the KEF M500 may also be one of them, but the comfort issues worry me.

We all await the measurements.

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #579 of 685
Quote:
I am surprised the Cityscape Downtown did not make it into the comparison.  They are the most comfortable and neutral sounding on-ear I have heard that can be found for under $100.

I think they are one of the most overlooked headphones here and the KEF M500 may also be one of them, but the comfort issues worry me.

We all await the measurements.

I had the downtowns... the KEFs dances all over these in every category!
Comfort is similar for the first few hours, then I need to re-adjust the KEFs (no need to re-adjust the Downtowns).

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #580 of 685
Quote:
I had the downtowns... the KEFs dances all over these in every category!

I'll be getting my m500's next week. I tried the downtowns, and although I thought they sounded pretty good for the money, I'm glad that you stated the above! The real test of the m500's will be when pitted against my sportapro drivers (on parts express headband)  
size]

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #582 of 685
Quote:

They look hilariously stupid in my opinion.

The M500 looks great....the person wearing them looks stupid.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #584 of 685
Quote:

I'll be getting my m500's next week. I tried the downtowns, and although I thought they sounded pretty good for the money, I'm glad that you stated the above! The real test of the m500's will be when pitted against my sportapro drivers (on parts express headband)  
size]

if you want to compare with your sportapro and alikes,if I were you, I will give a shot(worth) with Noontec ZORO (better than ludacris and street by SMS OEs) which is same OE form-factor and also save ~$230. it also got rave reviews than m500s.yeah, 3 color options to choose.

And I would wisely invest my savings on
1) Superlux HD 681(AKG style),
2) Monoprice 108323 Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style
to name a few sub $50 category.

And we do have reputed models sub $100 like
1) sony MDR-V6 & 7506
2) shure 440
3) AudioTechnica ATH M30
4) Sennheiser HD-280 PRO

These are all overlooked by many, IMO.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #585 of 685
Based off reviews I am very interested in purchasing M-500s.  A shame it's hard to find a store/dealer to demo them. Anyone know a dealer near NYC?

Anyhow, I'm looking to an alternative to Momentums--they've got great build quality and an even sound, also easy to EQ.  But when you really try to crank them up or amp them that mid-bass bias is unavoidable.  Not a big fan of the retro-look either.

It sounds like the KEF M-500s will resolve high frequencies better since people describe it as comparable to DT1350s (which are just not a highly versatile or comfortable can IMO but incredibly detailed for a portable!)

My question to you users/owners:  Just how bad is the noise isolation issue for these guys?  I've read reviews it's not the greatest in that department and I must have some isolation; I take a lot of noisy subway rides.

Let me know!  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back