KEF new headphones!
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #541 of 685
ericp10, nice try, but you are on my ignore list over here as well! :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #542 of 685
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #543 of 685
Quote:
nice impressions and congrats!

beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #544 of 685
Quote:
Now I have heard a lot about how GREAT, the Kef are... except for that the Kef are at some points a little honky... what I really want to hear is a more balanced review of these cans... all I hear is how wonderful they are... I'm not buying it. The Mad Dogs where also rated as being "best value at $300" I got them I didn't like em... no one mentioned how thick the mids where and how dark the treble was.

That being said... I'm going to avoid these until the hype dyes. Yes the Mad Dogs are excellent cans, and I'm sure the Kef are too, but all I'm seeing is hype at this point. A lot of hype and over enthusiastic reviews!  I'll see you guys in 200 pages <3 

Sounds like you probably heard the Mad Dog under-amped.

In any case I digress. As one of the enthusiastic proponents of the M500, I can't overstate how good it is, and I've heard a lot of closed portable headphones since going back to 2006! I think it's way better than some of the other closed portable competition, specifically the V-MODA M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT1350. I think it's a great complement to the MrSpeakers Mad Dog, as it's way more efficient (and thus more easily driven by portable or computer-based sources) and offers a sufficiently different sound.

I don't hand out compliments to headphones easily, and I tend to nitpick just about everything I listen to. I could nitpick the M500 as well, of course. But I'm not going to change my tune here. The KEF M500 is one of the best closed portable headphones that I've ever heard to date (since 2006). If that's hype, then so be it, but I'm not going to retract that statement. IMO the hype on the M500 is well-deserved, and I'm saying that as a non-fan of hype trains in general.

It's not like we're talking about some super-expensive flagship headphone here either. The M500 is just $300! In the overall scheme of headphones, $300 is almost chump change. Most people owe it to themselves to at least try it out!

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #545 of 685
Not been listening to my M500's as much as I hoped to(just a little at home, and even though it's only the odd half hour here and there, I like them more the more I listen to them); the only real fly in the ointment for me is the fact that I bought them hoping to use them out and about and as that for me entails lots of walking, I can't use them as they're microphonic. I've tried walking in a 'softer' way but my footfalls still reverberate through the earcups.
Another slight niggle is that the headband frame creaks and groans a lot. Not really important as when wearing over the head listening to music this isn't audible, but whenever handled or even more so, worn down around the neck, then they creak a lot, and that's the sort of thing that just niggles me!
Never mind; nothing is perfect. I like the sound these give me big time, but not being able to wear them out 'n about is a big, big letdown for me, so unless I can get my head 'round using them as home headphones they may have to go back.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #546 of 685
Quote:

In any case I digress. As one of the enthusiastic proponents of the M500, I can't overstate how good it is, and I've heard a lot of closed portable headphones since going back to 2006! I think it's way better than some of the other closed portable competition, specifically the V-MODA M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT1350. I think it's a great complement to the MrSpeakers Mad Dog, as it's way more efficient (and thus more easily driven by portable or computer-based sources) and offers a sufficiently different sound.

I don't hand out compliments to headphones easily, and I tend to nitpick just about everything I listen to. I could nitpick the M500 as well, of course. But I'm not going to change my tune here. The KEF M500 is one of the best closed portable headphones that I've ever heard to date (since 2006). If that's hype, then so be it, but I'm not going to retract that statement. IMO the hype on the M500 is well-deserved, and I'm saying that as a non-fan of hype trains in general.

It's not like we're talking about some super-expensive flagship headphone here either. The M500 is just $300! In the overall scheme of headphones, $300 is almost chump change. Most people owe it to themselves to at least try it out!

I so agree with you!!! And the sound of its little brother, the M200, is even better IMO. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #547 of 685
Quote:

That isn't entriely true. I had plenty of power just the wrong kind of Amp [Tubes] in addition my Hm 601 + a Fiio E11 is pretty powerful for a portable set up, ofc not the most.

But the Mad dog is not a bad can. I just didn't like the Mids, and these cans follow that same sound it seems/ Mid Focus but with a tilt towards the Highs maybe. Just not my favorite sound honestly... I like the w1000x for it's wooden mids and that's after I've modded away some of those mids. 

Non the less, you are right, I still want to try the Mad Dogs on my Solid State Matrix M Stage. As it was an excellent can with EDM and Nu Jazz music! But at the time it didn't do what I wanted it to. 

And I'm sure the hype is well deserved, again the MD's sound really good even under amped. But the Sound Signiture was not one I enjoyed 

Still I'm sure I'll try them both soon enough. Once I get my Portable Rig once again... I'll find a Store that is selling these locally <3 

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #548 of 685
Quote:
Not been listening to my M500's as much as I hoped to(just a little at home, and even though it's only the odd half hour here and there, I like them more the more I listen to them); the only real fly in the ointment for me is the fact that I bought them hoping to use them out and about and as that for me entails lots of walking, I can't use them as they're microphonic. I've tried walking in a 'softer' way but my footfalls still reverberate through the earcups.
Another slight niggle is that the headband frame creaks and groans a lot. Not really important as when wearing over the head listening to music this isn't audible, but whenever handled or even more so, worn down around the neck, then they creak a lot, and that's the sort of thing that just niggles me!
Never mind; nothing is perfect. I like the sound these give me big time, but not being able to wear them out 'n about is a big, big letdown for me, so unless I can get my head 'round using them as home headphones they may have to go back.

You don't know what a creaky headphone is until you've owned the Shure 440! lol

In regards to microphonics, have you tried clipping the cable to your clothes?

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #549 of 685
I've gone back and forth between the 200 and the 500 now for a week.  There are more differences in the sound than I first thought but they are undoubtedly from the same gene pool.  I find myself leaning more to the 500.  I'm still having an issue getting one ear to stay sealed with the 200.  I find myself adjusting their position too frequently.  And I'd agree with Gelocks, I am playing them louder than I should to achieve the desired sound.  I can see why some others are enjoying the 200s more, but for me the 500 is my choice, and I don't feel like I am settling for second best.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #550 of 685
I've gone back and forth between the 200 and the 500 now for a week.  There are more differences in the sound than I first thought but they are undoubtedly from the same gene pool.  I find myself leaning more to the 500.  I'm still having an issue getting one ear to stay sealed with the 200.  I find myself adjusting their position too frequently.  And I'd agree with Gelocks, I am playing them louder than I should to achieve the desired sound.  I can see why some others are enjoying the 200s more, but for me the 500 is my choice, and I don't feel like I am settling for second best.

For a better seal with the M200s, maybe should you try them with Meelec bi-flange tips?

http://www.monalbum.fr/Photo-LWOTI4P3-D.jpg

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #551 of 685
I looked at those when you posted them before.  They do look like something that may help in my case.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #553 of 685
The M500 as mentioned is slippery on the head so not a good choice if your moving around a lot. Isolation is just OK due to the lack of clamp. Sound wise I find the M500 very equipment dependant working best with warmer sources and amps. In my case it sounds a bit thin and disjointed from my primary portable source a Nokia 920 phone. It's sound stage is only average.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #554 of 685
Quote:
sub bass roll off looks terrible. too bad, not interessted anymore.

Take a look on the left. The steps are 2.5db. There are not too many headphones that measure as extended as that. Take a look at headroom graphs for example and change the scale of any headphone and you will see a bigger bass rolloff than what you see on the default graph.

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #555 of 685
Quote:
The positive points of m500 is really overwhelming, but im curious about what are the negative points or aspects of the you dont really like?

I am really enjoying my M500.  However, I will agree that the source can make a big difference with these headphones.  I'm not a big fan of the cables.  I would like a slightly longer cable with only one right angle plug.  The earcups tend to flop when you fold them up.  If you are not careful the metal frames around the earcups will hit (scratch?) each other.  I am getting used to the on ear pads, but they still make my ears sore after a while.  I am able to wear them longer without getting sore than I could before.  I guess I just need to get those calluses built up on my ears.  These are mostly nitpicks.  I'm very happy with the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back