KEF new headphones!
Jul 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #274 of 685
I just found out about these and decided that I had to buy a pair of the M500 based on robm's posts! I was in agreement with his assessment of the other closed portable headphones and also think highly of the Grado HP2 (and AKG K1000) as he does, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Ordered a pair online, should be here later in the week.....

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #275 of 685
Quote:
I just found out about these and decided that I had to buy a pair of the M500 based on robm's posts! I was in agreement with his assessment of the other closed portable headphones and also think highly of the Grado HP2 (and AKG K1000) as he does, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Ordered a pair online, should be here later in the week.....

Excited to hear what you think!

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #276 of 685
I bought a pair of m500's on saturday.
I currently have acs t-15 with custom sleeves, shure se530 and sennheiser hd595.
I think they are great. Very comfortable. I had to return momentums as they were too uncomfortable on ears and crown of head.
They dont have a wide soundstage which is my only real criticism as i kind of like that.
Isolation is better than i expected.
No need for amp as they work fine from my note2 or ipod touch.
Just very nice sounding headphones which are super comfy and look good..
I dont have any regrets. .

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #277 of 685
Is anybody else finding it hard to attach descriptors to the M500, things like, warm, punchy, bright, bassy, dark? This is the perhaps the most difficult headphone I've ever tried to describe the sound of, probably because I don't hear a "sound". Which also makes it hard to describe when asked to compare to other headphones. When you go back to other headphones, you can hear what the M500 is not doing, which is a good thing. It just seems to be an honest messenger that just delivers the information it was provided. I almost wish that it wasn't so light and utterly comfortable so I could have at least something to complain about
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #279 of 685
Nothing is perfect for all-time. I do like to listen to different headphones. But I do not hear anything wrong or anything that I would want to change on the M500. But some people may not like the M500 because they like a certain sound, certain colorations or prefer a headphone that makes a gigantic soundscape around the head.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #280 of 685
Congrats ASR. I think you will like these.

I agree with Beagle. Basically, they are almost flat from 20 Hz - 20 kHz and sound engaging and musical. There's not much to talk about except the recording itself.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #282 of 685
From what you guys are saying though, I just wish the isolation were better... Let me ask, If you're in the same room with someone who is watching tv at a normal/maybe slight loud level, would you find yourself raising the volume to hear the music? I know they may not be suited for public transport/coffee shop...

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #283 of 685
Did the vacuuming with these and the Momentum on and found it fine. Certainly not going to have a conversation with anyone whilst playing back music. Your mileage may vary.

However anything like engines and deep background vibrations is next level. For real isolation you want IEM, like your 4R on sale. So long as you understand the limitations then go for it.

The M500 should be stocked at your local hi-fi dealer. Or even demo the Momentum at an Apple store and see how it fairs against the shopping din.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #284 of 685
So how do these sound compared to the K550 or SRH-940?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #285 of 685
Quote:
So how do these sound compared to the K550 or SRH-940?

Better balanced overall, without the tendency towards brightness that the AKG and Shure have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back