KEF new headphones!
Jun 19, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #151 of 685
Boy, that is such a difficult thing to do.

As I mentioned in my review, I have owned Sennheiser, Monster Beats and Shure (SE110, SE115 & SE215) IEMs. The Bang Olufsen A8 and Creative Aurvana Airs I wouldn't really class as in-ear as they actually sit in front of the ear canal.

These are the most expensive IEMs have paid to date, and to compare them properly I would need to listen to an expensive or high grade IEM. However, what I can say is they are the best IEM I have ever experienced, far bettering anything else I have used previously.

I also own many on / over ear headphones (AKG K550, B&W P3 & P5 and Sennheiser Momentum's) and I must say that I am finding it extremely difficult NOT to listen to the KEFs.

I am surprised I cannot find any other reviews across the Internet so perhaps this is a worldwide exclusive.

The only thing I can say is if you really love your music then get these.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #152 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1970 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are the most expensive IEMs have paid to date, and to compare them properly I would need to listen to an expensive or high grade IEM. However, what I can say is they are the best IEM I have ever experienced, far bettering anything else I have used previously.

I also own many on / over ear headphones (AKG K550, B&W P3 & P5 and Sennheiser Momentum's) and I must say that I am finding it extremely difficult NOT to listen to the KEFs.

I am surprised I cannot find any other reviews across the Internet so perhaps this is a worldwide exclusive.

The only thing I can say is if you really love your music then get these.

I would love to rip into your over-ear choices but I've been down the same route as you and came to the conclusion that there's a lot of over hyped dog-turd out there... I really hope the M500's are based on SQ more than fancy packaging you tend to think KEF is a bit above the norm when it comes to sound.

I like your take that IEM's are superior to your overheads which was my findings also... to match a IEM you'd be hard pressed to find a headphone to match the SQ in the same price range, doubling the money will probably get you closer... a good seal is paramount with IEM's.

I can't really comment on the hi-end IEM's as that would be unfair (pm me if you want) but I am very interested in the M200's as they're dual-dynamic which is different to what I've got... you've perked my interest in these forsure.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #153 of 685
I bought the M200s on a whim, there weren't (or haven't) been any reviews to base my decision making on. In fact, the only advice I was given was by the salesman who said "KEF make great speakers". Not very helpful but I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I haven't seen much hype to these, in fact it has been very low key, which is strange.

But I wouldn't let that put you off...I have been listening the last 3 hours whilst working, after a while you forget you are wearing them. They are so comfortable and the music just sounds so natural, their dual dynamic design makes sure of that. Also, I couldn't hear people hollering at me across the office, which was great :wink:

Just as a side note, I have been listening to a rare Tim Buckley album (Starsailor) and it's an album that I struggled to listen to previously. I think this is because there is way too much going on in some of the tracks that you end up getting lost in all the "mud". However, with the M200s they just kicked ass and opened the sound up, so much so that it felt like listening to a new album and one which I could quite comfortably listen to again. 

I think that speaks volumes for these IEMs when each day I find something new.

For my next trick I am going to try out the new Black Sabbath album (13) next, which I know has been heavily compressed by Rick Rubin to ear pumping effect. I will let you know the outcome!

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #154 of 685
How accurate is that graph? The teble looks insane (in a good way). I've never seen any other headphone that had no roll off whatsoever under 20k. They must sound really airy then? I really have no idea what really good treble sounds like, as all the headphones I've heard (indeed, almost all headphones, period) either focus on getting the bass and mids right, but sacrifice the highs, or really exaggerate the highs to give the illusion of clarity and impressive treble. This could be a real eye-opener for me.... dammit, too many headphones to possibly try.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #156 of 685
I am afraid I am way to underqualified to do the graph charts, and I too will be interested to see what those guys think.

In terms of the sound, yes, it is definitely airey and spacious. One thing I found interesting is the bass sound, which seems to be heavily bloated in today's music. Not sure whether this is because this how music is made or how our ears I have become accustomed to it.

As I said in a one of my previous posts, I listened to the new Black Sabbath album, 13 yesterday. This is a heavily compressed production (intentionally, so I am led to believe). I tried it out on my Shure SE215s and B&O A8 to get the sound, which was very trebley with a bloated bass. Please note that this is not the detriment of the IEMs but the recording itself!

However, with the M200s, the sound was much more spacious, the bass was there but not in your face. Treble was high but not tinny, again this is related to the record was produced. So this got me thinking, surely the bass should be more prominent or bloated, right?

Then I had thought, I remember many, many years ago listening to my dad's vinyl records on his Sony system with his headphones on, in the days where record manufacturers didn't mess around or compress sound levels, the music then sounded much more natural.

So this lends the question, and it is based on the listener's music tastes and preferences - do you prefer modern day production, in which case the M200s won't give you the bloated bassline?

Or do you prefer a much more natural sound, where all the elements are there but not in your face (and in some cases, you have to search for them)? (I am old school, so my preference is the latter)

I am trying hard to push the M200s. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to find any flaws or issues, but the more I am listening the more these IEMs are delighting me.

Next I am going to try focusing on listening to some very poorly produced albums by Led Zeppelin (namely I and II) and Queen (Queen and Queen II) and see how the M200s hold-up - I will let you know the results, if you are interested.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #158 of 685
Quote:
Did anyone compared the M500 with Sennheiser Momentum ?

In a direct A/B comparison, Momentum is less neutral, bass is a little tubby, treble is a bit less refined.

Quote:
Those are probably smoothed a ton. Wait for a 3rd party like Tyll or Rin to do measurements

And then what?

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #161 of 685
Quote:

and soundstage? i remember the momentum somewhat shallow

For an on-ear, I actually find the KEF to be very spacious sounding (when the recording is so). Sounds come from above, and the sides of the the head. Of course, most of this comes from having well-matched drivers. Imaging seems very pin-point.

Quote:

And then the headphones will sound much better :wink:

biggrin.gif

I find it mindboggling that some people won't move on a headphone until they get "permission" to do so from the usual pied pipers.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #162 of 685

For an on-ear, I actually find the KEF to be very spacious sounding (when the recording is so). Sounds come from above, and the sides of the the head. Of course, most of this comes from having well-matched drivers. Imaging seems very pin-point.

biggrin.gif

I find it mindboggling that some people won't move on a headphone until they get "permission" to do so from the usual pied pipers.

Well for me it's not about "permission," but buying a new headphone is an investment, and if I don't like it and end up selling it I lose some money. So if I can't hear it in person, at least it would be useful to read other people's reviews, and while graphs obviously don't tell the whole story, at least I can see whether it's the kind of sound signature I would want.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #163 of 685
Quote:

biggrin.gif

ok, i am back in the game. will order them next month

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #165 of 685
Quote:
I am afraid I am way to underqualified to do the graph charts, and I too will be interested to see what those guys think.

In terms of the sound, yes, it is definitely airey and spacious. One thing I found interesting is the bass sound, which seems to be heavily bloated in today's music. Not sure whether this is because this how music is made or how our ears I have become accustomed to it.

Sony reckon on about 100-200hrs burn in on their 'dynamic' IEM's so things could change sound-wise... when I bought my last set of IEM's for the first 20-30 hrs I wasn't real impressed but then things opened up considerably... expect some changes for the first week or so.

if you really want some fun put on Kashmir from Celebration-Day and max out the bass on your source... obviously you got to hit max volume for the fun bit
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back