KEF new headphones!
Jun 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #91 of 685
Jun 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #92 of 685
Quote:
I have ordered them from https://kefstore.ca/ but nothing is happening....

you have to wait till they're delivered first, then put them on your head....
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #93 of 685
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28846209/2013-06-02%2020.49.28.jpg

I couldn't attach pictures so that's the image link of the M200 right out of box.
Hereunder I'd share some personal impression on them.

Here's a brief FR impression :
[size=12.727272033691406px]Very strong sub bass and straight bass to low mid.[/size][size=12.727272033691406px][/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px]Slightly recessed 1k.[/size][size=12.727272033691406px][/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px]Straight and present 2k-7k.[/size][size=12.727272033691406px][/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px]Dip starts on 8k. Return peak on 13k.[/size][size=12.727272033691406px][/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px]Die off but present till edge 19k.[/size]

Sound staging is not very strong and kinda clamped in a small concentrated area. The overall sound is quite detailed but not as clear as ER4PT.

The ear tips are not very comfortable and it is larger than a standard dynamic driver size which T500 comply foam won't fit. Fitting inside the ear canal is not easy and hence not good isolating noise from outside.

I got it at around a little bit less than USD$200 which I would deem reasonable.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #94 of 685
Quote:
overall sound is quite detailed but not as clear as ER4PT.

bit unfair to judge probably the leanest BA against a dynamic imo, especially when it comes to clarity in the upper ranges, mind you it will be like the fox in the hen-house in the bass region, the KEF will probably have it slaughtered.

great thing this hobby marlakey... it's either alloominum or aluminium 
wink_face.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #95 of 685
M500 arrived today. Very comfortable......sound is nicely balanced. Stay tuned.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #99 of 685
Jun 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #100 of 685
Limited listening due to family health issues, but I am really liking the M500. The sound is spacious but upfront at the same time. Extremely well balanced and detailed but not bright sounding in the least. Sonic signature is recording-dependent.....you seem to get what's there. Sometimes bass is thin, sometimes thicker and warm....Bright recordings will be bright but well recorded stuff seems to have almost electrostat-like treble. You get wonderful midrange detail while keeping timbres correct and natural. Midrange to treble is seamless. Bass does go deep when necessary and stays relatively tight, but again, depends on the recording. If a had to make a comparison (which everyone always wants/needs) I am almost tempted to say that the M500 sounds like a combination of the sonics of the Momentum and the MDR-1R, but that was more of an immediate reaction. I will need more listening time. But I do seem to hear the midrange clarity of the 1R with the smoothness and detail of the Momentum....thus far. But I am loathe to say that because to me the M500 sounds like the recording, the other two do not....thus far.

What I like the most is the airy, unfettered, uncompressed quality to the whole sound.....music just floats nautrally ..not shaped and colored like with many closed headphones. And the comfort is top-notch...think of the feeling of two marshmallows pressing gently on your ears.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #101 of 685
Quote:
What I like the most is the airy, unfettered, uncompressed quality to the whole sound.....music just floats nautrally ..not shaped and colored like with many closed headphones.

It would be nice to actually hear a over-head headphone that resembles the value of a IEM in this price-range, I had the misfortune of visiting a Apple store this week when I had my Heir 3.Ai's with me...demoing the Sennheiser Momentum's & being at a similar price range you would of though that the SQ would of been at a similar level, ohh my was I wrong on that score, the IEM's were several steps up the ladder in every department, I found the Momentum's dull, muddied & boring to listen to in 'side by side' comparrison... my experiences with over-head headphones has not been a happy journey.

I'm seriously want a pair of mid-price (£250-350) over-head headphones but I do expect something decent sounding for that money... my starting point is equality across the frequency range and has good detail, something the reputed 'big names' seem to be completely inept at providing, preferring to serve mediocre SQ with a bit of style firmly aimed at the iPod/Dr Beats market.

Your observations that the KEF M500's seemed to be more for the discerning listener is welcomed news in this household... I'm looking forward enthusiastically to getting my mitts on a pair soon.

Quote:
 And the comfort is top-notch...think of the feeling of two marshmallows pressing gently on your ears.

the BBW effect... I've loved that feeling since the day I was born... my ears are in for a sexy snuzzle
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #104 of 685
Quote:

Your observations that the KEF M500's seemed to be more for the discerning listener is welcomed news in this household... I'm looking forward enthusiastically to getting my mitts on a pair soon.

To my ears, somebody went to the trouble of going for an honest attempt at neutrality. Nothing barks at you nor shies away. No honks, spikes, droops, muddiness. Yum.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #105 of 685
Quote:

To my ears, somebody went to the trouble of going for an honest attempt at neutrality. Nothing barks at you nor shies away. No honks, spikes, droops, muddiness. Yum.

Sounds a lot like how you described the PSB M4U...but you mentioned these KEF sound like a combo of the MDR-1R & Momentum. How would you say they compare to the PSB (this is what I was hoping you'd A/B with)?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back