KEF M500, one of the most natural sound headphone! Only real music, never tired!
Jul 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ATHFANe

New Head-Fier

KEF M500 is such amazing Headphone! M500 looks common in appearance, but when I put it on, I feel perfectly comfortable. It almost give me no pressure on both sides of my face. M500 can be fold, so you can take it with you so easily to have a nice travel. M500 is unique, it can’t be replaced with any headphone. Because it illustrates the sound of great Britain perfectly. M500 sounds natural, it has the lowest tension to my ear. I will not feel any rigidity , over-bright or stimulation. Furthermore, I will not feel weak or over-soft about the sound. M500 give me the sound full of energy and elasticity. Because both the sound and the wear are so comfort, I can listen to M500 for 6 hours then feel no tired。As a world class of HIFI loudspeaker company, KEF M500 has a reasonable price. I compared M500 with many HP, and I think even HIEND hp can not defeat M500 easily. For example, I compared M500 with LCD3 in my system and find M500 more natural and balanced than LCD3, LCD3 sound too dull and rich in bass. M500 gives me a feeling that more expensive less Price/performance ratio .The balance sound of M500 shows the culture of KEF. Compare to individual workshop, KEF m500 sounds more balance, I feel M500 not too bright , not too dull, not too thick, not too thin. All I feel is the spirit and impressive of music. The soundstage of M500 is so realistic that it seems the god put a KEF blade loudspeaker into my brain. It’s very complete and 3D. I feel a vivid band in my brain, singer and accompany have very significant before and after feeling. Although M500 is closed headphone,I think It makes the closed chamber be a true stage. I can feel the sound is very fine and smooth like silk. The bass will not roar like SONY XB1000, BEATS PRO, LCD series. It’s high quality bass dives deep and sounds like basketball bounced , it will not let your head booms. I think maybe M500 is one of the most nature HP in the world,It’s natural harmonic simulate the concert hall, I feel I’m in the hall, enjoy the real  perform. If you are worry about if M500 will play well in your walkman and apple device, I will tell you seriously. Yes! Whether you put your M500 in HIFI system or portable device, M500 will give you natural sound. If you want to have a nice dream, I think nothing is better than enjoy music for a while with KEF M500 before sleep. I think KEF M500 is a perfect HP to enjoy music. It will show you the emotion of music!

Listen to Michael Jackson and other pop songs with M500:
I feel comfortable,M500 have the advantage of British sound!I think even a robot will become human after listen to music with M500. M500 have the best performance about the voice,It will not worse than LCD3,and is more balance than LCD3,  LCD3 is too thick, even I also like LCD3 to listen to voice。 Compare to Japanese HP like Fostex TH900, Denon D7100, ATH W5000, I feel these HP have the fatal defect of Japanese sound, they tend to make my ear feel tired. Listen to music with M500,I never feel tired,like enjoy HIFI loudspeaker system of UK, I will easily indulge in beautiful music, forget I have a HP on my head. Not only music, I also feel satisfied in the sound quality of M500. Excellent sound insulation makes the background more dark. It gives me the pure music world. 

Listen to the classic music with M500
When I listen to BACH Goldberg Variationen, I feel M500 is good at string music. String will not be hurry and stiff. Give me the smooth rise and fall of tone, I even feel I can’t take a breath, what a amazing pure music! Listen to HAYDN 11 piano sonatas---Brendel, I feel rich harmonic filling all the hall, very nature sound! The key of the piano seems having an elegant dancing! The music becomes alive! Listen to orchestral music—KARAJAN CONDUCTS WAGNER overtures and preludes, I feel the M500 like small scale of KEF BLADE loudspeaker, show me magical soundstage, I can feel every part of the orchestra clearly, It will not sound like an exaggeration, it will  give you the natural music like you are on site. The sound stage is huge, have a surprisingly 3D feeling. When at climax of orchestral music, M500 have perfect control of music, It will not confuse like low-level headphone. I feel I’ve enjoyed listening orchestral music with M500.

[size=16pt]BASE ON MY SYSTEM:MARANTZ SA7S1>>>>AUDIONET PRE1G2+EPS>>>>SUPER MOD [/size][size=16pt]LEHMANN[/size]
ABOUT SUPER MOD LEHMANN ,NOTE FOLLOWING LINK
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_40f078a90100py36.html

MORE PHOTOS ABOUT THE DETAILS OF KEF M500 IN MY BLOG:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_40f078a90102e96k.html

ALL MY PHOTOS WITH HEADPHONES ON MY HEAD,PLEASE NOTE FOLLOWING LINK
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_40f078a90100cw8a.html

FIN

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 31
Nice review from Uncle Fe
popcorn.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 31
And regardless of whether athfane wrote the posts himself or just pulled them from the internet (which I don't think is the case), the original content has some very helpful information and was written by someone who's heard a lot of high end gear. So either way he's being helpful by posting it here.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 31
Along with robm and beagles impressions this review helped me decide to give these a try, so I found it help full :).

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 31
^ yep, I'd say his impressions are accurate.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 31
My suspicion is if you like the Momentum these would not be your cup of tea.

For me I didn't like the Momentum much at all which is why I have high hopes for these.

Not that the fact you like the Momentum is bad in any way. Just different ears is all :).

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 31
If you like colored phones, these are not for you. The Momentums have excess mid bass and significantly attenuated highs. They have a warm engaging sound, but to me, were more mid-fi sounding compared to the M500s and a few others in the category.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:
If you like colored phones, these are not for you. The Momentums have excess mid bass and significantly attenuated highs. They have a warm engaging sound, but to me, were more mid-fi sounding compared to the M500s and a few others in the category.

This sooo makes me want to buy these! Me and my fence sitting. Doh! 

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 31
OK after a couple of days all I can say is wow..these cans are amazing really. When I first put them on my ears I thought I would be very dissapointed, given the small size of the cup (and the fact that it was my first time using on ear style). But after ten minutes I was with a big smile. i think this is the most neutral phone I have ever heard ( and I own various cans: HD800, HD650, W3000anv, Vmoda's M100, JH13, JH16, JH3A system).

Comparing with the vmoda M100, this is a more resolving can, with much better instrument separation and imaging. Bass is tight but not overbearing.But where the M500 really excels is on the mids, with vocals that are so sweet they feel like maple to my ears.

I cannot imagine how a full size flagship from these people would perform. i think the only negative I can say about them is that I keep wonder how good a can this could be if it had the soundstage of an over the ear phone.

My only complaint would be that the headphones are not secure enough so when walking on the street I feel that they are about to fall any time. They should have put something on the band in order to make them secure over the head.

My Vmoda are now relegated for gym use...

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

This sooo makes me want to buy these! Me and my fence sitting. Doh! 

I am the same way. If a local audio dealer didn't have these available, I'd probably still be thinking about it.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #15 of 31
OK after a couple of days all I can say is wow..these cans are amazing really. When I first put them on my ears I thought I would be very dissapointed, given the small size of the cup (and the fact that it was my first time using on ear style). But after ten minutes I was with a big smile. i think this is the most neutral phone I have ever heard ( and I own various cans: HD800, HD650, W3000anv, Vmoda's M100, JH13, JH16, JH3A system).

Comparing with the vmoda M100, this is a more resolving can, with much better instrument separation and imaging. Bass is tight but not overbearing.But where the M500 really excels is on the mids, with vocals that are so sweet they feel like maple to my ears.

I cannot imagine how a full size flagship from these people would perform. i think the only negative I can say about them is that I keep wonder how good a can this could be if it had the soundstage of an over the ear phone.

My only complaint would be that the headphones are not secure enough so when walking on the street I feel that they are about to fall any time. They should have put something on the band in order to make them secure over the head.

My Vmoda are now relegated for gym use...

More neutral than HD800? :O

Mmm W3000anv...

And I agree, really looking forward to a full-sized can from KEF. I hope it will still be affordable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back