KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #511 of 1,358
  Hey guys,

So I spent $200 on the M200 and really could use some help.

1. They never seem to sit in my ear correctly. I have tried all the plugs (I wear glasses btw), I always have to readjust and push them in harder. Is there a better way?

2. I have an android phone and the volume up/down does not register in anything (music player/spotify/phone calls/etc). I have to use the phone (using note 3) in order to do this. What does work is the center button - play/stop / google version of siri.

Any ideas?

1. This is a common problem. You will need some third party tips. Search this thread for tip suggestions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-brainwavz-delta-r3-dual-dynamic-pg948-onkyo-phones-pg-904-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724

2. That's normal. 3 button remotes do not work with Android phones, only with iPhone. This is why all all Android headsets have only one button.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #513 of 1,358
Hey guys,

So I spent $200 on the M200 and really could use some help.

1. They never seem to sit in my ear correctly. I have tried all the plugs (I wear glasses btw), I always have to readjust and push them in harder. Is there a better way?

The fit is hard to get. Look in these thread to find some possible solution. All I can say is when you get a good fit, the sound is very good.

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #514 of 1,358
What has worked for me is to start with the m200 ear hook pointing forward, so its parallel to the ground. The nozzle will angle down, so insert into canal. Now push the m200 into canal while twisting back into position so ear hook engages and is upright. Should have a tight seal, but might have to adjust/tighten earhook with glasses on. Good luck!

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #515 of 1,358
What has worked for me is to start with the m200 ear hook pointing forward, so its parallel to the ground. The nozzle will angle down, so insert into canal. Now push the m200 into canal while twisting back into position so ear hook engages and is upright. Should have a tight seal, but might have to adjust/tighten earhook with glasses on. Good luck!

Thanks a lot will try this out and if not I will go for the new eartips. Just annoying since if I spent this much (sorry I felt $200 was a lot for ear buds compared to the $400 AKG 65 annies I got. 

In your guys humble opinion is this the best option for me?

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #516 of 1,358
  Thanks a lot will try this out and if not I will go for the new eartips. Just annoying since if I spent this much (sorry I felt $200 was a lot for ear buds compared to the $400 AKG 65 annies I got. 

In your guys humble opinion is this the best option for me?

Depends what you are looking for. As others have stated, it is not the most secure fitting headphone. It does fine if you are stationary or only doing light exercise, but it is probably not best for a sports earbud. As I said, it all depends on what you intend to do with it. I chose it for use at the office, and I am extremely happy with it. It originally didn't work for me, but having found the right tips to use, it sounds really good, and the sound makes it a steal at that price. It has even managed to become quite comfortable. I tried 3 other headphones before settling on these.

I think it is worth the trial and error it takes to get them to fit properly. One thing I found (and this is probably obvious to most other head-fier's) is that the width between the loops and the earphone itself should be small, or else the loops will push the tips out of your ear. I struggled with this concept for quite a while until I smashed the loop down, and it started sealing great again. I'm sure it varies between head-fier's , but here are some pics to convey what worked for me.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #517 of 1,358
Whilst retaining a good position with the loops around the ear (by following the video on the KEF website on how to fit the earphones), the sound quality could be compromised if the actual earpiece is not inserted in the ear properly, which is more than likely due to the stock ear-tips that are supplied with the M200s.

I had a similar issue myself (where even the larger-sized ones did not fit me properly) and was experiencing a lot of isolation issues, where the treble and bass appeared sibilant as a result of a poor fitting.

Luckily, I discovered that Comply offer a range of different foam tips ("Active", "Isolation", "Comfort", "Isolation PLUS" and "Comfort PLUS") where their "500 Series" are compatible with M200s.
Here is the link to their website: http://www.complyfoam.com/, if you click on the "Comply TM Tip Finder" link at the top left of the homepage you will be able to navigate through from the "KEF" link.

Having used Comply foam tips with other earphones in the past (where I found they significantly improved sound quality and performance) I took a punt with a pair of "Isolation PLUS" foam tips.
Not only did they transform the M200 listening experience, with much more refined detail and precision, I also found that I didn't need to adjust or push the ear-tip in too far (beforehand, I found myself pushing them as far as they would go, similar to how I would fit a Shure earphone).

I hope this helps eradicate some of the comfort and fit issue some of you are experiencing and allows you to really enjoy these earphones.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #519 of 1,358
Is the m500 suitable for edm?

I personally love them for trance. They are not bass-head cans, but man, the bass of the M500's is awesome. Excellent amount of mid bass with a nice amount of slam and a surprisingly nice sub-bass extension. And the bass quality is great - layered, detailed, fast. The treble has enough detail and sparkle also to work nicely with trance as well. Love'em!

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #520 of 1,358
Is the m500 suitable for edm?

I did a comparison recently with the new B&W P7's. I listened to the Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" album and I found the M500s delivered a much more exciting sound, gorgeous bass and sparking treble, the cymbals sounded perfect to me on some tracks, not hissy like with some headphones

I personally love them for trance. They are not bass-head cans, but man, the bass of the M500's is awesome. Excellent amount of mid bass with a nice amount of slam and a surprisingly nice sub-bass extension. And the bass quality is great - layered, detailed, fast. The treble has enough detail and sparkle also to work nicely with trance as well. Love'em!

What Waynes World said is true, they are faster and more exciting, lovely bass and the treble does sparkle. The P7s are more refrained, isolate better and has a bit more depth but doesn't provide the same attack as the M500s.

In my experience, the nearest competitor to the M500s is the Momentum, each one has a slightly different sound signature but they are not a million miles apart. With the Momentum's I didn't find the bass or treble to be as refine whereas the bass sound on the M500s is the best I like on any headphone. 

My only niggle with the M500s is that they don't isolate well in certain conditions, but with any headphone there is always going to be a niggle or two!

I find these headphones are a great all-rounder, not just with EDM but with other genres too.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #521 of 1,358
  What Waynes World said is true, they are faster and more exciting, lovely bass and the treble does sparkle. The P7s are more refrained, isolate better and has a bit more depth but doesn't provide the same attack as the M500s.

In my experience, the nearest competitor to the M500s is the Momentum, each one has a slightly different sound signature but they are not a million miles apart. With the Momentum's I didn't find the bass or treble to be as refine whereas the bass sound on the M500s is the best I like on any headphone. 

My only niggle with the M500s is that they don't isolate well in certain conditions, but with any headphone there is always going to be a niggle or two!

I find these headphones are a great all-rounder, not just with EDM but with other genres too.

I actually find the P7s livelier...go figure. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #523 of 1,358

Somebody needs to send me their P7's so that I can make the final determination 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #524 of 1,358

I have and I have figured for me the M500s provide better all round performance for all genres of music. However, I admit the P7s look and isolate better

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #525 of 1,358
I have and I have figured for me the M500s provide better all round performance for all genres of music. However, I admit the P7s look and isolate better

I would say SQ wise they're just about on par, but the noise isolation is much better on the P7s...so for portability where that's important the B&Ws...but both are still fantastic cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back