KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #796 of 1,358
Does anyone think that running the M200's off an iPhone 4 would be a good idea? Thinking of picking these up, but havent got money for an amp.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #797 of 1,358
  Does anyone think that running the M200's off an iPhone 4 would be a good idea? Thinking of picking these up, but havent got money for an amp.

Can't help you there (don't have an iPhone), but I see that you are into metal. You might want to check out d marc0's thread. He loves metal, and provides his opinions about the iems that he has (or has auditioned) and how they do with metal. Might be helpful!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694003/d-marc0s-journal-my-head-fi-journey-new-tralucent-audio-1plus2-original-version-mini-review

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #798 of 1,358
I have an iPhone and an iPod touch, and the KEF M 200 ran just fine off the iPod and iPhone. Great sound, and using my amps didn't elevate the sound much , because the M200 is already a marvelously tuned IEM. Just be careful of fit and build quality. It's not very good.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #799 of 1,358
I have an iPhone and an iPod touch, and the KEF M 200 ran just fine off the iPod and iPhone. Great sound, and using my amps didn't elevate the sound much , because the M200 is already a marvelously tuned IEM. Just be careful of fit and build quality. It's not very good.

I know that there have been a few cases of one of the drivers stopping working. I would be interesting to know though how many cases of that happening percentage wise there are. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #800 of 1,358
I know that there have been a few cases of one of the drivers stopping working. I would be interesting to know though how many cases of that happening percentage wise there are. 

I was told from a KEF insider that there was a large batch of M200 that shipped with faulty LF drivers. I got one of those. My replacements didn't seem to have that issue, but I sold them anyways because I wasn't willing to take the chance. I've got equally good IEMs already that have superior fit and build quality.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #801 of 1,358
I was told from a KEF insider that there was a large batch of M200 that shipped with faulty LF drivers. I got one of those. My replacements didn't seem to have that issue, but I sold them anyways because I wasn't willing to take the chance. I've got equally good IEMs already that have superior fit and build quality.

Hopefully the problem is no more outside of that one batch.

All I can say is that mine have continued to work flawlessly, and I'm very happy for that because they are one of my favourite iems.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #803 of 1,358
@DannyBai and @WaynesWorld i agree with both of you. When mine were working, they had sublime sound, and I personally was one of the folks who didn't have fit issues, so I loved that warm lush sound of the M200, it's my preferred sound sig. I just didn't trust the BQ. Aside from that, the M200 is all class. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #804 of 1,358
Does anyone know have measurements of how M500 reacts to high impedance output? I'm using them on AK100, and it feels a little different from when driving them from UHA-6S.MKII. IDK how exactly, and M500 isn't clear enough for me to distinguish what exactly is happening.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #805 of 1,358
  Does anyone know have measurements of how M500 reacts to high impedance output? I'm using them on AK100, and it feels a little different from when driving them from UHA-6S.MKII. IDK how exactly, and M500 isn't clear enough for me to distinguish what exactly is happening.

Worse damping factor which in theory, contributes to worse decay and differences in volume in the frequency response curve.

Source: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/damping-factor-effects-on-system-response

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #806 of 1,358

Worse damping factor which in theory, contributes to worse decay and differences in volume in the frequency response curve.

Source: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/damping-factor-effects-on-system-response

Well, that's true, but damping varies from headphone to headphone. Sometimes, damping certain frequencies actually flatten the sound(like W4 and UE900 benefits from high oi). That's why I asked if anyone knew how it affected the M500.

But yeah. I'm not certain myself how the sound changed. I guess change is subtle.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #807 of 1,358
Just discovered something quite nifty about the M500. I found the frequency response to have the bass of the TH900, the mids of the HD800, and the highs of the LCD-XC up to 10kHz where then the M500 kinda rolls off in the high treble. Not sure about the reputation of the treble of the LCD-XC, but the TH900 are known for its bass, and the HD800 known for its mids, so that places the M500 is pretty good company.
redface.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #808 of 1,358
I am looking forward buying M200. I currently own a pair of phonak's audeo pfe 122 with fiio X3 as a source and i would like to know if someone has heard them both and if M200 are an upgrade over pfe 122. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #810 of 1,358
  Just discovered something quite nifty about the M500. I found the frequency response to have the bass of the TH900, the mids of the HD800, and the highs of the LCD-XC up to 10kHz where then the M500 kinda rolls off in the high treble. Not sure about the reputation of the treble of the LCD-XC, but the TH900 are known for its bass, and the HD800 known for its mids, so that places the M500 is pretty good company.
redface.gif

You do understand that just because a frequency response graph between two headphones may be similar in some ways, they don't have to sound similar at all because of it? There are many other factors involved..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back