KEF M100 and M400 impression and review thread.
Mar 4, 2016 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed 2 new KEF headphones at a local Visions Electronics store here in Canada and tried to find some reviews on them. Sadly both models have almost no information on the internet and only 1 review of the M400 on ear headphone. The M100 is pretty much unknown. So in a moment of weakness and frustration I bought the M100.

Here is a link to the IEM from the manufacturer.

Here is a picture of the grey pair I bought.

My first impression was underwhelming until I figured out these are not very sensitive so needed more volume. I will play with my desktop and amps to see how they scale as I have time. But suffice it to say once I turned them up louder than I was used to on my LG G4 they started to sing pretty good. With a decent amount of bass but not a massive amount being more balanced than I am used to. The midrange sounded very good and the treble while higher pitched than what I am used to is still not too edgy or sibilant. The sound stage also seems quite large and the imaging seems good. Finally the microphonics were very nice on my walk even without the shirt clip even though these are a straight down design versus running over the ear.

I will post more impressions over the next couple of days along with some comparisons between some other IEM's but so far I am impressed.

OH before I forget these are WAYYYY more comfortable than the M200. KEF appears to have learned from that first attempt...

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 54
OK spent some more time today listening to a few songs I use for a lot of my reviews. Smash by Patricia Barber and Zombie by Kellie McKay. Both songs sounded excellent. I will use both songs and do an A/B/C/D against the PSB M4U4, Sony XBA-Z5, and Telos Fujisan. But just from memory I think the KEF M100 will have a sound stage and imaging that bests all of these except the Z5 and it will come close to the Z5. I think it sounds a lot like the M4U4 but with better imaging and sound stage but again will confirm.

Regardless of whether it is better or not it is definitely a very good IEM. Well worth its asking price and a steal if you can get it on sale.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 54
OK spent some more time today listening to a few songs I use for a lot of my reviews. Smash by Patricia Barber and Zombie by Kellie McKay. Both songs sounded excellent. I will use both songs and do an A/B/C/D against the PSB M4U4, Sony XBA-Z5, and Telos Fujisan. But just from memory I think the KEF M100 will have a sound stage and imaging that bests all of these except the Z5 and it will come close to the Z5. I think it sounds a lot like the M4U4 but with better imaging and sound stage but again will confirm.

Regardless of whether it is better or not it is definitely a very good IEM. Well worth its asking price and a steal if you can get it on sale.

Sounds very promising dweaver! Trade you my m200's for them? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 54
I traded or sold the M200 a long time ago. The fit just was to much for me. This new model fits very well though and sounds great. I like it enough I am struggling to not buy the M400 and see how well it works. If they managed to make an on ear model that doesn't want to fall of my head I might enjoy them as well.

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 54
Wayne, do this to your m200's and you will not need to trade.
Honestly, they are my favorites out of my entire inventory now that I modded them.
but my pair looks better :wink:

Its to bad I don't have my old M200 to compare sonically. I am impressed with the M100 sound stage though which was an M200 trait I liked as well, so that bodes well.

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 54
Yeah I especially like the new colors Kef added to their line. I just sold my m500's today because of loose fit, hopefully you're right and the m400's are more balanced fit wise. Soundstage on the m200 is a lot wider than the m500, good to hear that the m100 performs there as well.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 54
OK I caved and bought the M400 as well. Impressions to follow. I can already if I wear them with the headband in a traditional spot on my head they fall off of I bend forward (like the M500) and if I wear the headband further back on my head they don't. They are slightly less loose than the M500 but not by much. I will use them for a day and see if they are always falling off when I bend forward.

Sound wise they are cooler sounding than the M100 and possibly a bit more mid forward.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 54
Code Cool - Patricia Barber on my Pono, 24bit 192kHz FLAC

M100 - the initial bass is present and clear, slightly subdued for my tastes but probably plenty powerful for most people. Vocals sound very clear and detailed and ever so slightly warm and are neither recessed or to forward. Zero sibilance is in the vocals affecting the urgency negatively just a bit. Plenty of detail in treble area, drum kits have plenty of shimmer and detail while not being to strong. There is a period from 1:30 to 2:30 where there is is a lot of ambient sounds in the song with great imaging that are handled very well by the M100. The over all sound stage and imaging is large and impressive. The M100 really handle this song with aplomb.

M4U4 - bass is slightly stronger than the M100 with a similar level of detail. Vocals are slightly cooler than the M100 and have that urgency. Cymbals are slightly more detailed and have a bit more clarity and separation. The ambient portion is also more detailed but not quite as enveloping. The sound stage is a bit smaller but imaging is good. There is a bit less 3D like sound quality as compared to the M100. If you prefer a cooler sound with vocals that have a bit more bite and edge the M4U4 is a better choice. If you prefer lush and warmth or more 3D like qualities the M100 is a better choice.

M400 - Bass is a bit heavier than the M100 and M4U4 but very controlled and approaches detail levels of the M4U4. Vocals are more like the M4U4 in tone and detail. Ambient portion of track is detailed and immersive. Treble is crisper than the M100 to the point where I find it slightly fatiguing. Sound stage is actually pretty good as is the imaging pretty close to on par with the M100. I really like how the M400 sounds with this song.

XBA-Z5 - bass is deeper and heavier verging on being to much for me and would be to much for a lot of people. Vocals are very similar to the M100 in tonality with similar levels of urgency. The ambient portion of the song is extremely immersive and has as much detail as the M4U4 and M400. Treble is detailed and sparkly without ever being fatiguing. Sound stage is massive and imaging and 3D is still king on the Z5.

Based on this extremely small sample the 2 new KEF's are competent neutralish offerings with the M100 leaning towards being slightly warm and the M400 being slightly cool.

While I leaned towards the M200 over the M500 in the original KEF line up I may end up liking the M400 more than the M100 but it is way to early to say this with certainty.

One thing is certain though. These both deserve more attention on head-fi than they are getting...

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 54
Here are some pictures of the M400.

The M400 is looser than I would like but does seem more stable on my head than the M500. So the smaller size and lighter weight do help.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 54
Interesting read so far. I think kef is one brand that puts a lot on conference and imaging as I own a pair of nicely done bookshelves, RDM-1. Hopefully more interest in these newbies will happen among audio enthusiasts.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 54
KEF's challenge is to overcome some ergonomic design flaws and regain past owner confidence that they have got it right this time and then attract new enthusiasts who may not know who they are. I think their decision to create some designer color options will help them in this regard partially but may cause some purists to assume they are just trying to pattern themselves afte companies like Beats. Let me assure you these have a more audiophile tuning than their color schemes suggest. So far I am very impressed with what I am hearing.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 54
OK, interesting day. I tried the M400 on my walk to work and through out the day in the office. These are staying on my head quite a but better then the M500 and they have been comfortable for 2+ hour stretches. Isolation was adequate on the walk to work in downtown traffic and quite good in my office. But these are still loose enough on my head that they will only be used for walking, transit, and office use, They ARE NOT SPORTS ORIENTED!

So the end of the day came and I thought I would switch to the M100 for the walk to my car. By the time I got of the elevator I stopped and switched back to the M400 because I preferred the M400 signature. The M400 just sounded better in the midrange and treble. Who knows maybe this headphone will lead me back to the light! LOL.

Anyway so far I am enjoying both IEM and Headphone but the M400 is taking the lead at the moment.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 54
Good stuff dweaver! The m400's look a lot like the 100aap's methinks.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 54
The M400 is not as secure or quite as comfortable as the 100AAP due to being on ear but I like M400 more sonically. They have much better dynamics and midrange while offering similar levels of bass and treble in my opinion. I might be willing to ship you the M400 Wayne if you can't afford to try them as it would be worth getting more opinions on how they sound than just mine.

OH one point I forgot to mention. These things are great for wearing around the neck when your not listening to music. I have had them around my neck and forgot they were there several times already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back