KEF M100 and M400 impression and review thread.
Jun 4, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #31 of 54
pfloyd, that is awesome! I'm glad you found a way to comfortably enjoy the beasts.

waynes world, I completely agree. After I discovered the M200 (thanks to a thread on this site actually), I expected to love the M500, but there was just something about their sound that I didn't like at the time. It's been a while, so I can't really describe the issue I had with them, but it could have been because they are on-ears, which I generally don't do so well with. I do remember loving their design, but not the pressure on my ears; it would set in after wearing them around 45 minutes. I would probably still have them today otherwise.
I had and sold the 500s. They were euphoric at first but I found the upper mids too hard and fatiguing and the fit too loose and like the 200s better. I notice the 200s removed from the kef site back in December.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #32 of 54
I had and sold the 500s. They were euphoric at first but I found the upper mids too hard and fatiguing and the fit too loose and like the 200s better. I notice the 200s removed from the kef site back in December.

Totally OT, but have you tried the VE Monk earbuds? If not, you (and everyone) should!

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #33 of 54
I've always love the sound of the M200. I've always hated the earhooks and subsequent fit, so they ultimately end up languishing in a drawer.

So, because I've had a glass of wine, and because my m200's are being wasted at the moment, and because your handle is "pfloyd", I'm getting the hacksaw out!

Damn, I don't have a hacksaw. So I'm getting myself a hacksaw!
:beerchug:  
It's tough stuff so be prepared for a workout, spring steel inside I think.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 54
Yep, I have a pair of v1, made me rediscover my bud stash, didn't realize I had so many, like my Sony mdr-e828 the best.

Cool - you are already of the converted 
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #36 of 54
Hi all,
I just received my pair of m100s second hand and my first impressions are that I'm head over heels with them. The detail packed in these are beautiful. I'm yet to try these with an amp/DAC but just through my phone I am very impressed. The fit is also much better than other styles I've tried. Wearing these over the ears works well and I'm not having to keep repositioning them like a pair of beyerdynamics and Sennheiser's I own.

All genres I've tried so far sound well represented through these and I'm not lacking any bass like some reviews seem to suggest.

I'll be back on this thread in the not too distant future and I'm interested to hear any other people's views on these

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #37 of 54
Also footnote,
If anyone has any suggestions for tips that pair well with these I'd be very grateful. I'm going fine with the stocks but I've heard a good pair of complys can make a huge difference

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #39 of 54
sorry to bump this up... but would you guys definitively recommend the M200 over the M100?

I'm also really interested in this comparison.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #40 of 54
KEF M100 are on sale today only in a dutch webshop for about $50.
Are these worth picking up over current $50 Chi-fi IEM?

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #41 of 54
Dec 3, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #42 of 54
Curious to hear what people say, too, as the M100 are currently $29 on Newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1VH-00T9-00001

M400 are on special for $79:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE1F5UG3432

I broke down and bought the "Sunset Orange" M100, to see if they offer anything substantially different than my PSB M4U 4. At $29, it's hard to say no, in any case!

The M400 were also tempting, but I'm not a big fan of most on-ears and I'm probably saturated with on-ears right now anyway.

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #43 of 54
I ended up buying both an M100 and M400. Figure if I didn't like them, I could definitely resell them for what I paid for them. Assuming KEF doesn't put them on perpetual sale for 6 months (lol).

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #44 of 54
Got my m100 from Newegg today.
Tried it through my Note 5: pretty bad. I could tell a lot of detail was there. But everything sounded muffled and the imaging was poor.
Next I tried it through my LH Geek Out V2+ set to high gain: night and day. Everything fell into place, soundstage and clarity improved immensely, and bass became very punchy and satisfying. Amazing sound for $30.

So pretty much: buy it if you have a powerful amp to drive them with. Don't buy it if you're going to just use it through a phone or laptop.

Now I just gotta decide if I want the M400. $80 for a $250 headphone is quite tempting...

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #45 of 54
Got my m100 from Newegg today.
Tried it through my Note 5: pretty bad. I could tell a lot of detail was there. But everything sounded muffled and the imaging was poor.
Next I tried it through my LH Geek Out V2+ set to high gain: night and day. Everything fell into place, soundstage and clarity improved immensely, and bass became very punchy and satisfying. Amazing sound for $30.

So pretty much: buy it if you have a powerful amp to drive them with. Don't buy it if you're going to just use it through a phone or laptop.

Now I just gotta decide if I want the M400. $80 for a $250 headphone is quite tempting...

+1

Got mine today, although I tried first with an amp (Bravo Audio Ocean) and was surprised it needed more juice than my K712 Pro -- so I knew it would not be exactly stellar on a phone. Playing it out of my LG V20, I had to engage in shenanigans to force it to output more power (headphone extender), without it, it was very meh and not loud enough.

Definitely worth $30, to my ears, when properly amped. Very happy with this purchase!

The colored KEF M100 are still a great deal on NewEgg right now, $34.99, plus if you check out from mobile app, you can apply coupon code MBLB1205B and get an additional 10% off. Currently, the Titanium Grey color are already back at $149.99, though. (I got Sunset Orange.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back