Keeping devices plugged in
Nov 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

illy2k

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently upgraded some of my components and power is becoming more of an "issue" than it had been previously. My main question is do you think it is better to keep your AMP's/DAC's ect plugged in all the time or not? I have a surge protector which I plug my components into and I was wondering if it is bad for the wallwarts to be plugged in 24/7whenI don't have the equipment turned on. I notice that even when the AMP/DAC isn't on the power supply is warm to the touch, but when I flick the switch on the surge protector to off the wallwarts it stays nice and cool. Any ideas if it makes a difference? Do I degrade the PS by leaving in plugged in while not on?

Thanks guys.
k701smile.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 5
The wallwarts do draw power while plugged in, which is why they're warm. They're generally OK plugged in all the time, but flipping the switch on your power strip turns them off.

The biggest benefit to turning them off when not in use is that your power bill will go down. Other appliances do the same when in a "standby" mode. Here's a good chart that gets the point across:

008_vampire_energy.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 5
One might say that cycling devices on/off causes stresses due to thermal expansion/contraction, so leaving things on might be best. But then the elevated temperatures might increase the rate of oxidation in materials so then it is best to keep them off (or unplugged in your case).

I don't think there is a good answer in terms of the "health" of your power supply.

If your power source is solar or wind power or something then it is probably ok to leave things on and waste as much power as you want
tongue.gif
Might encourage the companies to increase their investment insuch technologies? ha.
If you prefer to leave it on, leaving an amplifier turned on isn't any worse than turning a heater on in terms of efficiency/cost per benefit gained. In winter in my small room I leave my amp on for that reason and use no heater.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One might say that cycling devices on/off causes stresses due to thermal expansion/contraction, so leaving things on might be best. But then the elevated temperatures might increase the rate of oxidation in materials so then it is best to keep them off (or unplugged in your case).

I don't think there is a good answer in terms of the "health" of your power supply.

If your power source is solar or wind power or something then it is probably ok to leave things on and waste as much power as you want
tongue.gif
Might encourage the companies to increase their investment insuch technologies? ha.
If you prefer to leave it on, leaving an amplifier turned on isn't any worse than turning a heater on in terms of efficiency/cost per benefit gained. In winter in my small room I leave my amp on for that reason and use no heater.

Thanks silence, I was trying to get an idea if it mattered. I once had a power supply die on me and it was always plugged in all the time so it has kinda made me cautious. It is easy for me just to flick the switch on the power strip so if I know I won't be listening to the next night I switch it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back