Keepin' it simple, but ripping cd's to Apple Lossless...
Jan 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
Using iTunes, I have been ripping my cd's, ever since this weekend, into Apple Lossless. Previously, I have most all of my library in AAC at 320 kbps. My only thing is, I would like to make/store duplicate copies of my discs in both AAC and Apple Lossless formats, one for quanity, and one for the quality, and for use on different devices. Is this possible? and once again, keeping it simple.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 15
You can maintain several libraries in iTunes by (I think it is) holding down the SHIFT key when you start iTunes so could have one for alac and one for aac and then just ripping the cd's twice. That is probably the simplest way. Otherwise you have to get into ripping to alac and then transcoding to aac and copy files manually.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can maintain several libraries in iTunes by (I think it is) holding down the SHIFT key when you start iTunes so could have one for alac and one for aac and then just ripping the cd's twice. That is probably the simplest way. Otherwise you have to get into ripping to alac and then transcoding to aac and copy files manually.

Is that Mac or PC? I know it's ALT on Mac, never worked out how to do it on PC though.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 15
You can keep two versions of the same file in the same library. Not an issue, you then select which one you wish to transfer to a given iPod. Or better yet make different playlists and sink an iPod to a playlist as you see fit.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that Mac or PC? I know it's ALT on Mac, never worked out how to do it on PC though.

Yeah, I am on a Mac. Thanks for the info, I just have an iTunes library of about 100 gigs on my Mac hard drive...re-ripping this much music is no small undertaking. Thankfully it is winter!

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 15
All you need to do is import them in AAC, change the import settings to Apple Lossless, then import them again (don't click "yes" if it asks you want to replace the existing files.)

You'll need to change some playlists so you don't for instance get a lot of files that won't transfer to an mp3 player.

I prefer Apple Lossless just because I'm locked into itunes
frown.gif
But apart from iPods I can't find any good players that support Apple Lossless! Why oh why doesn't Sony do it I don't know...

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMHO this is the way to go. By keeping the files in separate libraries, I avoid confusion. You can rip once to Apple Lossless, and then import the Lossless files to your 320 library and convert them down. I think that would be faster than ripping twice.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 15
I usually rip a bunch of albums in lossless, and then convert to AAC. No real need to rip twice. Just change the import settings to AAC, select everything you just ripped in lossless and the popup menu will have an option to Create AAC Version. Not sure how you get the popup in Mac.

I usually start the conversion right before going to bed so it can do it while I'm not using the computer for anything else.

I also have a smart playlist of lossless added in the last 1 days, which makes it easier to select what you just ripped.

I've done this for 1800 albums so far.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 15
On a Mac, just right click the files. There will be a "create an AAC version" option. I totally forgot about that lol, I assumed the OP already had AAC and wanted lossless versions as opposed to the other way round.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All you need to do is import them in AAC, change the import settings to Apple Lossless, then import them again (don't click "yes" if it asks you want to replace the existing files.)

You'll need to change some playlists so you don't for instance get a lot of files that won't transfer to an mp3 player.

I prefer Apple Lossless just because I'm locked into itunes
frown.gif
But apart from iPods I can't find any good players that support Apple Lossless! Why oh why doesn't Sony do it I don't know...

I was under the impression that you do't want to import something in to a "lossy" format and try to convert it into a lossless format? That there is something, sonically, lost in that transition...

I do have most of my files in AAC...and want to upgrade to lossless and back and forth, depending on my storage and sound needs.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 15
I rip to lossless first and then either re-rip or create lossy from that. Afterward I use different playlists to keep them straight so that I can transfer to iPods, etc.

Mooch

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone! Keep it coming!

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarkovsky7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just remember, you can always sort by type of file in itunes.

How do you do that?

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you do that?

Display the column and click on the header.

I keep things straight by using smart playlists though.

A lossless playlist with Type contains lossless
A lossy playlist with Type does not contain lossless and Playlist is Music

Playlist is Music is important. Otherwise you get Podcasts and videos in the playlist.

I have 20 or so Smart Playlists, both for playback and organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back