Keces vs. Musiland vs. Yulong
Oct 2, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

onvn

100+ Head-Fier
Hello peoples..
regular_smile .gif

I am looking to upgrade my Fubar II to a mid-range usb dac. I am looking at several DACS including the Keces DA-151, Musiland MD10 and the Yulong DAH1. By the sounds of it, lots are favouring the Keces but is it because they are that good compared to its competitors or is it because it's the one that's been exposed more?

I am curious of what are people who've tried either two or all three models have to say.. I am also open to suggestions but my budget is strictly under AUD$500..

Reno.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Musiland has a HUGE thread as well if you search for it. Both the DA151 and MD10 have a faithful following here, just at slightly different time periods I guess. Right now I guess the DA151 enjoys a more active interest.

From what I have heard about the two devices though, the MD10 gives you a lot more options in terms of connectivity and usability (has an LCD screen) and the DA151 is limited to USB. Soundwise, I have heard a few ppl mention that the MD10 is slightly bright.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 13
Hello,

Can I just update my situation.. I have jumped for a DA-151 just because I have heard good things about it and I did have a preconception of how it should sound like and I expected it to be a definite step-up from my current DAC - the Fubar II..

I ordered on Friday and received the package on Monday - to my utmost surprise! I didn't expect the shipping to be that fast.. Then I opened it up and plugged it in.. and it met my expectations plus some.. The jump from revealed clarity, detail and resolution I only experienced jumping from the ER-6i to the K701 (w/ Corda Aria).. I never really understood instrument separation before I heard the improvement in the DA-151..

Overall, I am one very happy customer of Keces and would reccommend the DA-151.. but I'm still curious as to how DACs in this price range would stack up against each other.. Is there really no one who has a thing for DACs and own multiple DAC units??

Reno.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 13
I looked at both the Musiland and the Keces, as well as a non-oversampling DAC, and ended up getting the Keces. It should be here by Friday, and I can post some initial impressions, if you would like. I would be able to compare it to the two previous setups I had, which were: 1) Trends UD-10.1 > SuperPro DAC707, and 2) Trends UD-10.1 > Entech 205.2

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd051 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
top, is that Ud-10.1 treating u well?

Well, it was treating me very well... until I changed my system to be run off of a remote-controlled headless PC music server. I quickly found that I would no longer be able to use the battery pack because the audio player would crash whenever I would unplug the battery pack to charge it. Kind of difficult to get it running again without a monitor, mouse, or keyboard. Not so much, thanks.
frown.gif

I couldn't get around the idea that the Trends wasn't working to its full sonic potential without the battery pack, so I ended up selling it and the DACs that I was using with it to fellow Head-Fiers, and used the money to get a new Keces 151.

It should be here in just a couple of days!
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Ahhhh!!!

I just checked USPS.com, and the Keces went out for delivery today! And it's my busy day!! I'm not going to be back home until later tonight!!!
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at both the Musiland and the Keces, as well as a non-oversampling DAC, and ended up getting the Keces. It should be here by Friday, and I can post some initial impressions, if you would like. I would be able to compare it to the two previous setups I had, which were: 1) Trends UD-10.1 > SuperPro DAC707, and 2) Trends UD-10.1 > Entech 205.2

Yes, why not. Have you got the pleasure of listening to your Keces yet?

Maybe some of the more experienced Head-Fi'er could do an organised trade of USB DAC's and subsequent reviews of each for the benefits of us all! Anyone up for it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 13
I've owned the Musiland MD10 and the Keces DA-151 and I've kept the DA-151. The MD10 is warmer sounding and less airy than the Keces, but has more features and connectivity options. And the DA-151 beats the MD10 in terms of housing quality and design
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the Musiland MD10 and the Keces DA-151 and I've kept the DA-151. The MD10 is warmer sounding and less airy than the Keces, but has more features and connectivity options. And the DA-151 beats the MD10 in terms of housing quality and design
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry that statement doesnt make sense to me... you mean the other way around right? the MD10 has more features and connectivity BUT the da-151 is warmer sounding and less airy? because the keces really has no features/connectivity options...just usb

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry that statement doesnt make sense to me... you mean the other way around right? the MD10 has more features and connectivity BUT the da-151 is warmer sounding and less airy? because the keces really has no features/connectivity options...just usb

Sorry for the misundertanding. I mean:
- The MD10 is warmer sounding and less airy than the Keces.
- The MD10 has more features and connectivity options than the Keces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back