KECES DA-131 VS ZERO 24/192
Jul 15, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 17
Though I haven't heard both, I've had plenty of time with the DA131 and a Great March (which is based on the same AD1852 DAC chip).

The AD1852 based DAC I had was very airy on the top end, and seemed to thrive on detail in the upper registers. Very clear and resolving, but it was too top heavy for what I was after. Bottom end didn't have as much punch, and it was too fast sounding for my musical likings. Electric guitars, male vocals, bass guitars, brass, the air around everything detracted from me really being able to have fun with the music.

The DA131 is a very balanced DAC sound. The top end isn't as airy, but at the same time all the detail is delivered. In comparison, the midrange and bottom are fuller when called upon. The DA131 is quite transparent, bright music is delivered bright. Thick music is delivered thick. For music with a warm sonic signature and good dynamic range, it makes it VERY hard not to crank up the volume. You're not constantly looking for what music has synergy with your source, the DAC doesn't interfere.

Of course, I don't know how well an AD1852 unit scales with a good analog section. The DA131's design focus is purely on the analogue stage, no other circuitry eating up space or price (such as USB, Headphone Amp, XLR, etc etc). If you want a DAC that's main focus is on the analog section, which many believe is the most important part, the Keces delivers.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 17
There is nothing wrong with adding a headphone stage in a DAC. The basic fundamentals are there already that would cut into the otherwise high price of a standalone headphone amp. I am thinking about the power supply, case, short track length to the HP circuitry. Cost wise it would also be next to nothing to add. If we break down the manufacturing cost of the different sections that constitutes a good to decent DAC, then the HP section would be less than U$20. Compare that to the likely U$50 to U$100 if you release that same HP amp PCB as a stand alone entity.

I agree that the analogue stage design is more important than the DAC chip used, which is in direct conflict with what the non-designers who read too many forums would let confused potential buyers believe. The best analogue output configuration is in my opinion a class A stage that doesn't require any bias considerations. Quite a few couch potato designers recommend discrete outputs as the ultimate source of audiophile satisfaction, but they fall short in mentioning what type of discrete output design would offer the solution. Real life testing, including any blind A-B ones, have not yet confirmed that discrete is better than opamp.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for info. I think it goes to something like "if your ear can feel the difference then it worth it" route again.
Then the only solution is buy them both.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing wrong with adding a headphone stage in a DAC. The basic fundamentals are there already that would cut into the otherwise high price of a standalone headphone amp. I am thinking about the power supply, case, short track length to the HP circuitry. Cost wise it would also be next to nothing to add. If we break down the manufacturing cost of the different sections that constitutes a good to decent DAC, then the HP section would be less than U$20. Compare that to the likely U$50 to U$100 if you release that same HP amp PCB as a stand alone entity.

I agree that the analogue stage design is more important than the DAC chip used, which is in direct conflict with what the non-designers who read too many forums would let confused potential buyers believe. The best analogue output configuration is in my opinion a class A stage that doesn't require any bias considerations. Quite a few couch potato designers recommend discrete outputs as the ultimate source of audiophile satisfaction, but they fall short in mentioning what type of discrete output design would offer the solution. Real life testing, including any blind A-B ones, have not yet confirmed that discrete is better than opamp.

Well, we were working on some interesting headphone amp integration "stuff" (wink), and those are definitely NOT cheap to add if you want great performance. For example, the pot we were planning to use costs $20~25 a pop, which actually costs more than some product's entire headphone circuit. It is also quite a squeeze to stuff everything in without interference, adding beefier power, beefier transformer and such...

The mystery unit should be ready for show soon
wink.gif
I'll post photo on it when it is close to be ready.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 17
Maniac, I tried to browse the keces taiwan site - it seems you have many, many other products in your DIY range. Are there any plans to being those to a wider market or are you just planning to stick with the 131 and 151?

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maniac, I tried to browse the keces taiwan site - it seems you have many, many other products in your DIY range. Are there any plans to being those to a wider market or are you just planning to stick with the 131 and 151?

Hello, currently KECES is focused on producing DA-131 and DA-151, as well as researching new products. Most of the DIY products need a bit of added information and support, while our current DA-151 and DA-131 is a more polished product that is geared toward great customer experience and robustness. With zero effort from customers.

DIY products usually have a smaller marketshare than finished product, and require extensive support that can be just as costly as building the actual unit. Thus we decided that the DIY part will be slowly faded out and the finished products will be replacing the DIY ones one by one.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 17
i'm really interested in this topic too as I'm trying to decide between the two for a DAC. i've been trying to follow the ZERO thread, and it seems like it has a lot going for it after a couple of mods (OPA627, HDAM)

i'm planning to connect this to the Little Dot MK V and Sennheisers HD650, so the amp in the ZERO doesn't really matter (or am I mistaken?).

are there any vouches for one or the other? thanks in advance

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidastoria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm really interested in this topic too as I'm trying to decide between the two for a DAC. i've been trying to follow the ZERO thread, and it seems like it has a lot going for it after a couple of mods (OPA627, HDAM)

i'm planning to connect this to the Little Dot MK V and Sennheisers HD650, so the amp in the ZERO doesn't really matter (or am I mistaken?).

are there any vouches for one or the other? thanks in advance

I haven't heard the ZERO, but I'm with Redo in so far as being extremely satisfied with my Keces 131.

If you want to read more user reviews on the keces, check out the head-fi "computer as source" forum - there's a very lengthy thread in there with a lot of positive commentary on the keces units.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 17
I really liked the Keces when I heard it. They'll probably be a great combo, and hard to beat at the price, that's for sure. You can always upgrade the Zero by adding the HDAM module, and stretch your value even further.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 17
LOL...me too! Exactly the same office setup, but home is everything else in the sig below...I like that the Zero can achieve really good sound for an "all in one" unit of DAC and headphone amp, and the Denons are easy to drive and play nice with a lot of different components.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

LOL...me too! Exactly the same office setup, but home is everything else in the sig below...I like that the Zero can achieve really good sound for an "all in one" unit of DAC and headphone amp, and the Denons are easy to drive and play nice with a lot of different components.

No! LD V and D2000 at the office and then LD IV and your HD650 ay home. that would rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back