KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,052 of 2,441
Just got a KBEAR LARK in the mail.

Lark.jpeg

DISCLAIMER: I think there's lots of confusion out there cause earlier units of the LARK were of the 4 kHz version which is brighter and could be sharp in the 4 kHz region. There's a retuned version which has dropped the 4 khz region and this retuned version is warmer as such. They look the same externally, and I was told by the shop mine is the retuned version (ie no 4 kHz spike version). I did some frequency sweeps and yeah it doesn't seem my set has a 4 kHz spike.
So reviews and impressions may be a bit varying (and even confusing) as earlier sets might still be of the older tuning, and we are not sure if third party shops may still be clearing old stock of the older version.

Anyways, the LARK has a really superb set of accessories for a $30 USD set, comes with cable, tips and a semirigid case, shells are beautiful and well fitting (no driver flex). The accessories are better than some $100 ish sets (looking at you TRN). Indeed, the LARK would make a very good gift due to the nice packaging and accessories for newbies to this hobby. Isolation is above average at least, but will do more testing to confirm this.

OOTB impressions:
Quite a balanced U shaped tuning, it lies on the brighter side. This kind of U shaped tuning is rare for a budget CHIFI (most are harmanish or V shaped).
Bass is neutralish to just slightly north of neutral, punchy, no midbass bleed, very clean bass. Bass is tight and on the faster side and can cope well with complex/fast bass movements. Subbass extends moderately, not the deepest in extension compared to basshead sets. Mids are very well done, no big drop there unlike some V shaped CHIFI. Upper mids > lower mids, but no hot/shouty upper mids that plague a lot of CHIFI. Lower treble is quite tamed. Treble is well extended and airy, but the 8 - 12 kHz area may be fatiguing for longer listening sessions for those with very good hearing/treble sensitive. Sibilance is very mild and track dependent.

Timbre for acoustic instruments and vocal is quite good for the BA settling the higher frequencies. Note weight is on the thinner side. Technicalities are at least above average to good at this price bracket (for clarity, imaging, instrument separation, details), will do further A/B testing to confirm this. Soundstage is quite spacious, not compressed at all.

So all in all, a nice set and package for the price, it is a refined "audiophile" tuning compared to the dime a dozen harmanish/V shaped CHIFI at this price point. I think most folks should like the tuning other than diehard bassheads and very treble sensitive folks. I daresay it has the best packaging I've seen in a sub $30 USD set, but then again we are more interested in the sound, which is quite good too. Will do further burn in and A/B testing and drop a formal review soon.
I like it, except for the OOTB😆...

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #1,055 of 2,441
Screenshot_20201223-192115_AliExpress.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,057 of 2,441
KBear 07 tips on my hand now since my daughter is observant 😄I like it better then sednas on my NM2+.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,058 of 2,441
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,059 of 2,441
Guys it's a Christmas miracle!! They're supposed to arrived next Monday, but Santa thought otherwise!
IMG_20201223_142347.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,060 of 2,441
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #1,061 of 2,441
My god really impressed with the stock tips and cable! The grey/red one large is a perfectly fit for me, excellent isolation and sound, I think I'll keep this set up right now without tip rolling

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,062 of 2,441
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,063 of 2,441
The e1da 9038s is enough to drive the Believe ?
I have not tested e1da and I do not know its output mw and voltage, so difficult to say ...

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,065 of 2,441
Enjoy them

Thanks! I'm testing them right now with some classical in dsd (Schubert's Death and the Maiden and Beethoven's 9th symphony) and really impressed, really really liking them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back