KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #513 of 2,441
Hello, I bought the Lark on 11.11 from the official store, and surprisingly just received it (fastest 11.11 shipment I've experienced!).

How do I tell if it is the RETUNED version? I can't find that information anywhere, except one person saying there are no WHITE eartips in the RETUNED version. Mine did though!

Hi friend, please do not worry. Your lark is the retuned version. Because KB EAR Official Store stopped selling 4k Lark to overseas from Nov..

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #515 of 2,441
Hi friend, please do not worry. Your lark is the retuned version. Because KB EAR Official Store stopped selling 4k Lark to overseas from Nov..
Thank you Wendy!
It would be nice to have some sort of identification when changing versions in the future, even if it is just a piece of paper. It would help people to compare what they hear.

I would also recommend a different range of tips in the package, as the accessories came with the same type of tips in 2 different colors. Colors are not that important.
I'm using these with wide bore tips. All the included tips are narrow bore and do have a nice depth to the soundstage, but it seems slightly hollow somewhere in the mids. Widebore makes it feel whole again, but the 3D soundstage is diminished, but still good!

Separate from the LARK, it seems I was gifted a different model of small bore tips. Thank you. Have not tried them yet but I appreciate it!

Still continuing listening and so far, I am not disappointed when compared to CCA C12.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #516 of 2,441
Will my dream of my belief in the KBear Believe come true? Will that piffling little bit of pure Beryllium translate into a thing of beauty? Will I ever find out as I age waiting for it? Does it exist? Is it just rumour? A myth? Maybe not. Belief is a strange thing. Belief in Trump, belief in Biden. Do you believe in anything? Why? The only thing I believe in, is in some far away Chinese Shangri La, exists an IEM so pure it will transform us, but like Moses waiting to see the promised land.....where the $£$£ is it?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #517 of 2,441
Thank you for your liking!
You're welcome, it's my first KB Ear IEM btw

The female vocal really goes far beyond my expectation for BA set on this price range, really clean and good timbre
Just lacking some lushness so it's not the best set for singer with husky voice on relaxed songs
but for modern songs I think it sounds just perfect for a vocal lover like me

Hope to see more product in the future

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #518 of 2,441
Will my dream of my belief in the KBear Believe come true? Will that piffling little bit of pure Beryllium translate into a thing of beauty? Will I ever find out as I age waiting for it? Does it exist? Is it just rumour? A myth? Maybe not. Belief is a strange thing. Belief in Trump, belief in Biden. Do you believe in anything? Why? The only thing I believe in, is in some far away Chinese Shangri La, exists an IEM so pure it will transform us, but like Moses waiting to see the promised land.....where the $£$£ is it?
You already have it. It's the Starsea!

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #521 of 2,441
Black Friday is coming soon!! Great price can be enjoyed from 11.23!! Cheer up, folks!!

More products, just follow KB EAR Official Store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/50...m=a2g0o.store_home.pcShopHead_1000001819183.2

11.23-1.png
11.23-2.png
11.23-3.png

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #522 of 2,441
OK...some good news. My Royal Mail App has picked up the KBear Believe tracking number, which usually means a week to ten days. They are on their journey from China to my Ears. Beryllium is unusual in it's pure form as Wikipedia points out:- "It has exceptional stiffness (Young's modulus 287 GPa) and a melting point of 1287 C. The modulus of elasticity of beryllium is approximately 50% greater than that of steel. The combination of this modulus and a relatively low density results in an unusually fast sound conduction speed in beryllium – about 12.9 km/s at ambient conditions". Let's hope this little chunk of Be can give us a beautiful sound experience.......it's on it's way...yeeyyhh.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #524 of 2,441
So received a review unit of the KBEAR BElieve a day or so back.

BElieve.jpeg

The shell is similar in size and weight to the KBEAR Diamond (just in a different colour). Accessories are very nice, and are quite similar to the KBEAR Diamond, a PVC leather pouch and an assortment of foams and silicone tips. The cable however is different from the KBEAR Diamond, seems to be a 4 strands 6N single crystal copper Litz cable rather than the SPC cable of the Diamond. Cable is very good, well braided, no microphonics.

Isolation is about average as per a vented DD set. Fit is comfortable, no driver flex on my set.

First things first, and this is the most important point: the KBEAR BElieve is one power hungry IEM, I suspected it from the store specs of a sensitivity of 98dB (impedance: 17ohm). But on actual listening, this drove the point in that Amping is quite mandatory. It sounds muddy and gooey on smartphones and low powered dongles, with the bass smearing when underpowered. I tried a few 3.5 mm dongles, they can't drive the BElieve optimally, maybe some extreme dongles like the 9038S may be able though. I'm currently running it on high gain on the Topping L30 now and then the real potential is shown, with the sound opening up. The Final Audio E5000 was similarly another power hungry IEM in terms of raw amping needs, also sounded meh and muddy without amping, though IIRC, the BElieve is not as power hungry as the Final E5000. But I think off hand the BElieve may be almost if not more power hungry than the TRI I3 (which has a planar) and the Final Audio E3000. Will do some testing to confirm this. I suspect a lot of folks who will be getting the BElieve soon, may be using it from lower powered sources are not gonna get the intended sound, and may walk away thinking it is a muddy set, similar to the Final Audio E5000 being muddy when underpowered. So be warned, it needs amping to scale to its real potential.

Sound wise, the BElieve is a warm and balanced analoguish U or mild V shaped set (when amped). It is organic, soothing and smooth, tonality is coherent, nothing shouty or fatiguing. Midbass > subbass in quantity, not a true basshead set, but bass is north of neutral. It isn't as bassy as the KBEAR Diamond predecessor. When amped, bass transients and speed is about average, but can be slow in the bass when underpowered. Mids are slightly recessed at the lower mids, but are quite transparent nevertheless. Upper mids are slightly boosted, but quite smooth and not that shouty (when amped). As per the Fletcher Munson Curve, it can on rare occasions be hot in the upper mids at high volumes or with poorly recorded material. Higher treble is not harsh for my treble sensitive tastes, no sibilance (unless it is already present in the recording). The KBEAR BElieve's tuning is rather mature and refined, not the usual V shaped super bass boosted or saw tooth upper mids CHIFI type tuning.

Timbre on the KBEAR BElieve is good for acoustic instruments as per its single DD roots. I like this set a lot with jazz and acoustic pieces.

Technicalities wise, I gotta compare more and do more A/B testing, I think it is quite good for a single DD set, but as usual at this price bracket, multi BA/hybrid types will beat it in areas like imaging/details/instrument separation. Soundstage is not the widest but it is quite deep and tall in soundstage.

The KBEAR BElieve's selling point of course is the advertised full beryllium driver, that of course would be absolutely "Bearly BElievable" at this price, compared to stuff like the Final Audio A8000 and DUNU LUNA. I'm not an expert that can open stuff to verify if it is indeed full beryllium, but I do think it takes to EQ like a champ in the bass like other beryllium sets I've tried, with minimal distortion.

Other than sources, the KBEAR BElieve is also very eartip sensitive. Using wide bore silicone tips on it drops the bass and using narrow bore ones boosts the bass quite markedly. Of course YMMV as we all have different ear anatomies, but do explore with eartips to do slight modifications in the sound to suit your preferences.

TLDR: From initial impressions, the KBEAR BElieve is an organic soothing warm U shaped set, very suitable for those wanting a syrupy laid back chill smooth listen. Good for a late night jazz session, good for longer listening sessions due to the non fatiguing smooth tuning. The KBEAR BElieve's tuning is rather mature and refined, not the usual V shaped super bass boosted or saw tooth upper mids CHIFI type tuning. It kinda is near my preferred tuning curve, I do like this set, but as usual YMMV, different strokes for different folks, as we all have our individual preferred sound signatures. Importantly, you will not be getting the full potential of the BElieve by using a smartphone or lower powered source to run the KBEAR BElieve, amping is quite mandatory to open up the sound. But once amped, it will be a good late night companion for a non fatiguing organic and soothing listen!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #525 of 2,441
So received a review unit of the KBEAR BElieve a day or so back.

BElieve.jpeg

The shell is similar in size and weight to the KBEAR Diamond (just in a different colour). Accessories are very nice, and are quite similar to the KBEAR Diamond, a PVC leather pouch and an assortment of foams and silicone tips. The cable however is different from the KBEAR Diamond, seems to be a 4 strands 6N single crystal copper Litz cable rather than the SPC cable of the Diamond. Cable is very good, well braided, no microphonics.

Isolation is about average as per a vented DD set. Fit is comfortable, no driver flex on my set.

First things first, and this is the most important point: the KBEAR BElieve is one power hungry IEM, I suspected it from the store specs of a sensitivity of 98dB (impedance: 17ohm). But on actual listening, this drove the point in that Amping is quite mandatory. It sounds muddy and gooey on smartphones and low powered dongles, with the bass smearing when underpowered. I tried a few 3.5 mm dongles, they can't drive the BElieve optimally, maybe some extreme dongles like the 9038S may be able though. I'm currently running it on high gain on the Topping L30 now and then the real potential is shown, with the sound opening up. The Final Audio E5000 was similarly another power hungry IEM in terms of raw amping needs, also sounded meh and muddy without amping, though IIRC, the BElieve is not as power hungry as the Final E5000. But I think off hand the BElieve may be almost if not more power hungry than the TRI I3 (which has a planar) and the Final Audio E3000. Will do some testing to confirm this. I suspect a lot of folks who will be getting the BElieve soon, may be using it from lower powered sources are not gonna get the intended sound, and may walk away thinking it is a muddy set, similar to the Final Audio E5000 being muddy when underpowered. So be warned, it needs amping to scale to its real potential.

Sound wise, the BElieve is a warm and balanced analoguish U or mild V shaped set (when amped). It is organic, soothing and smooth, tonality is coherent, nothing shouty or fatiguing. Midbass > subbass in quantity, not a true basshead set, but bass is north of neutral. It isn't as bassy as the KBEAR Diamond predecessor. When amped, bass transients and speed is about average, but can be slow in the bass when underpowered. Mids are slightly recessed at the lower mids, but are quite transparent nevertheless. Upper mids are slightly boosted, but quite smooth and non shouty (when amped). Higher treble is not harsh for my treble sensitive tastes, no sibilance (unless it is already present in the recording). The KBEAR BElieve's tuning is rather mature and refined, not the usual V shaped super bass boosted or saw tooth upper mids CHIFI type tuning.

Timbre on the KBEAR BElieve is good for acoustic instruments as per its single DD roots. I like this set a lot with jazz and acoustic pieces.

Technicalities wise, I gotta compare more and do more A/B testing, I think it is quite good for a single DD set, but as usual at this price bracket, multi BA/hybrid types will beat it in areas like imaging/details/instrument separation. Soundstage is not the widest but it is quite deep and tall in soundstage.

The KBEAR BElieve's selling point of course is the advertised full beryllium driver, that of course would be absolutely "Bearly BElievable" at this price, compared to stuff like the Final Audio A8000 and DUNU LUNA. I'm not an expert that can open stuff to verify if it is indeed full beryllium, but I do think it takes to EQ like a champ in the bass like other beryllium sets I've tried, with minimal distortion.

Other than sources, the KBEAR BElieve is also very eartip sensitive. Using wide bore silicone tips on it drops the bass and using narrow bore ones boosts the bass quite markedly. Of course YMMV as we all have different ear anatomies, but do explore with eartips to do slight modifications in the sound to suit your preferences.

TLDR: From initial impressions, the KBEAR BElieve is an organic soothing warm U shaped set, very suitable for those wanting a syrupy laid back chill smooth listen. Good for a late night jazz session, good for longer listening sessions due to the non fatiguing smooth tuning. The KBEAR BElieve's tuning is rather mature and refined, not the usual V shaped super bass boosted or saw tooth upper mids CHIFI type tuning. It kinda is near my preferred tuning curve, I do like this set, but as usual YMMV, different strokes for different folks, as we all have our individual preferred sound signatures. Importantly, you will not be getting the full potential of the BElieve by using a smartphone or lower powered source to run the KBEAR BElieve, amping is quite mandatory to open up the sound. But once amped, it will be a good late night companion for a non fatiguing organic and soothing listen!
nice first impression. Hope it open up after some playtimes.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back