KB EAR Audio impressions thread
May 20, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,726 of 2,441
Thanks for sharing! Very insightful as always from audio reviews.orgšŸ‘

Itā€™s sound sigunature vs purity from my own independent testing observation.

By removing filter, it reveals what the drivers are actually capable of, with a cost of detuned from original curve. If drivers has good curve, removing filters are the pure step up, vice versa.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #1,727 of 2,441
Thanks for sharing! Very insightful as always from audio reviews.orgšŸ‘

Itā€™s sound sigunature vs purity from my own independent testing observation.

By removing filter, it reveals what the drivers are actually capable of, with a cost of detuned from original curve. If drivers has good curve, removing filters are the pure step up, vice versa.
Also very important before you start to DIY anything with the Believe, buy some appropriate parts...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002116577785.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6e2e4c4dwpga0f

May 20, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,728 of 2,441
I will wait to see if will buy the KBear Neon. I'm sure it will be good. I bought the KBear F1 which was not great, at least my version was not great, as unit variance was big, but then I bought a single BA recommended by @HungryPanda, our kind expert friend, the NiceHCK DT100. After re-cabling with a 4.4mm and adding Spiral Dots, it is, to my ears, a great IEM. Hopefully someone will make a comparison. I still listen to the DT100 in my rotation....it is a fine IEM.

May 22, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,729 of 2,441
May 24, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,731 of 2,441
Just received a review unit of the KBEAR Neon.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 22.34.48.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 22.34.47.jpeg

Accessories are very nice, similarly packed like the KBEAR LARK. It comes with a silver plated cable, the IEMs a carry case, and 3 pairs of tips.

The Neon is a bullet shaped IEM, meant to be worn cable down. Fit is good, it isn't as "violating" or deep fitting as the Etymotics series IEMs, I couldn't use the Etys for more than a few minutes due to ear discomfort and ear abrasions (though granted the etys had one of the best passive isolation in a non custom IEM and they did sound good). The Neon is light and comfortable, very minimal microphonics considering it is a cable down IEM that rubs the shirt frequently. The cable is a silver plated cable, very well braided and usable, no need to mess around with aftermarket tips/cables for this set, everything is usable OOTB.

Isolation on the KBEAR Neon is good as per an unvented BA set. As per the single BA config, this IEM is very easy to drive, no amping or heavy powered gear required. The Neon runs off practically any weak source.

I liked that the Neon came with a 2 pin connector, as I had a lot of issues with MMCX type connectors with repeated cable changes. The only issue about the Neon is that one may inadvertantly connect the 2 pin cable in a reversed polarity on one side of the IEM housing as the IEM can be rotated, which may make music out of phase. There's a dot on the IEM to signify the orientation of the IEM housing, so just make sure both dots are facing up or both are facing down. Anyways, if the music is out of phase, it is pretty obvious, music seems to be coming from behind the head and sounds weird. Alternatively, just use a youtube link to check that you are in phase: ()

On one side of the Neon housing, u can see the Knowles 29689 BA serial number, so this set does use high end Knowles drivers. But of course driver brand is secondary to tuning and implementation, as we can see that some TOTL sets (cough cough Campfire Solaris) use Bellsing BA drivers. But the Knowles signature sound does shine thru in the Neon, featuring a well rounded note with good technicalities, without needing to boost the upper frequencies to cheat and get the details in (we'll discuss this below).

So onto the sound. The Neon is a midcentric set (ie higher treble and subbass roll off). It is kind of expected as per the single BA config, there's gonna be some limitations in extension of the FR at both extreme ends. So bassheads best look elsewhere for your subbass rumble, and trebleheads best look elsewhere for your sparkle and air. But the Neon's midcentric tuning is very well done, there's really no harshness or peaks in the tuning, it's a very agreeable and smooth midcentric set. Midcentric tunings, as we discussed, are not the best for bass forward music genres, eg EDM, but it really shines in vocals and acoustics genres.

Midbass is neutral and the subbass rolls off very early, as per the single BA physics. What the Neon cedes in bass quantity, it aces in quality. The midbass is very fast and tight and textured. Literal definition of "Fast and Clean" bass, with no bass bleed. Mids are the star here, being boosted, but not harsh or shouty. It is a very transparent mids that lets all the vocals and instruments shine through. There isn't the harsh 2 - 4 kHz area that plagues a lot of CHIFI tuning, this is a non fatiguing set. Treble wise, there's slight sibilance, but it is still considered a safe treble for me, yet retaining good microdetails, though it isn't the most airy treble.

Note weight on the Neon is on the slightly thinner side, but that allows the single BA to move quite fast without any dulled transients. Timbre is surprisingly good for a BA set, it won't beat a well tuned single DD in the timbral accuracy department, but it is one of the better BA timbre sets I've tried. Definitely trumps the garden variety KZ in timbre for sure. Acoustic instruments and vocals sounded quite natural in timbre, with maybe only a slight "plastic" quality in stringed instruments.

On to technicalities. As this set is a deep insertion type IEM, as per some Etymotics, soundstage is kinda 2D. Soundstage width is good, but height and depth are below average. But what the Neon cedes in soundstage, it makes up for in good imaging. I'd take a set with a good imaging and more intimate soundstage, over a set with big soundstage but fuzzy and nebulous imaging. Details and instrument separation are good for this price range, the Neon doesn't use the typical overly boosted upper mids/treble cheatcode that a lot of budget CHIFI use to boost clarity and give fake details. The Neon manages to get the details in without going to shouty territory, and yet being quite a chill laid back tuning that one can use for hours without fatigue. Think of a monitoring type analytical sound signature with good details, in fact I think the Neon can be a good entry level stage monitor due to its isolation, good fit and good technicalities.

I have an admission to make, I'm not a single BA fan. I'm a single DD guy for general music listening, as they tend to give better timbral accuracy and tonality/coherency at the budget/midfi CHIFI segment, when compared to multi BA sets. Single BA types also tend to lack subbass and may be weaker in technicalities, when compared to multi BA/hybrids, as expected of a single BA physics limitation. Even if I do use multi BA types, I use them for stage monitoring exclusively, due to their better isolation (generally unvented) and better technicalities than DD types.

However, despite my biasedness against single BA sets, the Neon is a set I think is a keeper, as it shines in vocals and acoustic genres. Granted, midcentric tunings are niche, and due to the lack of subbass, the Neon won't fair well for bass forward music eg EDM, but the Neon is really suited for mid and vocal lovers. There are not many midcentric sets in budget CHIFI (most are V shaped or harmanish), the 2 cheapest midcentric ones I have are the Hisenior B5+ ($80 USD) and the SMABAT X1 ($49 USD), and I think those 2 sets have worse peaks/troughs in the tuning. I have a Westone UM1 single BA set and the Neon beats the daylights out of them in timbre, tonality and technicalities, for a fraction of the price, that's how good CHIFI tuning has evolved the past couple of years. Anyways most of us in this hobby have a few pairs of IEMs lying about, to suit different sonic signatures and music genres, and I think for those who don't have a midcentric set in your Pokemon collection, the Neon is a worthy set to try, or if someone is looking for an entry level stage monitor.

Will do some A/B testing against other sets and report back!

May 24, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,732 of 2,441

Accessories are very nice, similarly packed like the KBEAR LARK. It comes with a silver plated cable, the IEMs a carry case, and 3 pairs of tips.

The Neon is a bullet shaped IEM, meant to be worn cable down. Fit is good, it isn't as "violating" or deep fitting as the Etymotics series IEMs, I couldn't use the Etys for more than a few minutes due to ear discomfort and ear abrasions (though granted the etys had one of the best passive isolation in a non custom IEM and they did sound good). The Neon is light and comfortable, very minimal microphonics considering it is a cable down IEM that rubs the shirt frequently. The cable is a silver plated cable, very well braided and usable, no need to mess around with aftermarket tips/cables for this set, everything is usable OOTB.

Isolation on the KBEAR Neon is good as per an unvented BA set. As per the single BA config, this IEM is very easy to drive, no amping or heavy powered gear required. The Neon runs off practically any weak source.

I liked that the Neon came with a 2 pin connector, as I had a lot of issues with MMCX type connectors with repeated cable changes. The only issue about the Neon is that one may inadvertantly connect the 2 pin cable in a reversed polarity on one side of the IEM housing as the IEM can be rotated, which may make music out of phase. There's a dot on the IEM to signify the orientation of the IEM housing, so just make sure both dots are facing up or both are facing down. Anyways, if the music is out of phase, it is pretty obvious, music seems to be coming from behind the head and sounds weird. Alternatively, just use a youtube link to check that you are in phase: ()

On one side of the Neon housing, u can see the Knowles 29689 BA serial number, so this set does use high end Knowles drivers. But of course driver brand is secondary to tuning and implementation, as we can see that some TOTL sets (cough cough Campfire Solaris) use Bellsing BA drivers. But the Knowles signature sound does shine thru in the Neon, featuring a well rounded note with good technicalities, without needing to boost the upper frequencies to cheat and get the details in (we'll discuss this below).

So onto the sound. The Neon is a midcentric set (ie higher treble and subbass roll off). It is kind of expected as per the single BA config, there's gonna be some limitations in extension of the FR at both extreme ends. So bassheads best look elsewhere for your subbass rumble, and trebleheads best look elsewhere for your sparkle and air. But the Neon's midcentric tuning is very well done, there's really no harshness or peaks in the tuning, it's a very agreeable and smooth midcentric set. Midcentric tunings, as we discussed, are not the best for bass forward music genres, eg EDM, but it really shines in vocals and acoustics genres.

Midbass is neutral and the subbass rolls off very early, as per the single BA physics. What the Neon cedes in bass quantity, it aces in quality. The midbass is very fast and tight and textured. Literal definition of "Fast and Clean" bass, with no bass bleed. Mids are the star here, being boosted, but not harsh or shouty. It is a very transparent mids that lets all the vocals and instruments shine through. There isn't the harsh 2 - 4 kHz area that plagues a lot of CHIFI tuning, this is a non fatiguing set. Treble wise, there's slight sibilance, but it is still considered a safe treble for me, yet retaining good microdetails, though it isn't the most airy treble.

Note weight on the Neon is on the slightly thinner side, but that allows the single BA to move quite fast without any dulled transients. Timbre is surprisingly good for a BA set, it won't beat a well tuned single DD in the timbral accuracy department, but it is one of the better BA timbre sets I've tried. Definitely trumps the garden variety KZ in timbre for sure. Acoustic instruments and vocals sounded quite natural in timbre, with maybe only a slight "plastic" quality in stringed instruments.

On to technicalities. As this set is a deep insertion type IEM, as per some Etymotics, soundstage is kinda 2D. Soundstage width is good, but height and depth are below average. But what the Neon cedes in soundstage, it makes up for in good imaging. I'd take a set with a good imaging and more intimate soundstage, over a set with big soundstage but fuzzy and nebulous imaging. Details and instrument separation are good for this price range, the Neon doesn't use the typical overly boosted upper mids/treble cheatcode that a lot of budget CHIFI use to boost clarity and give fake details. The Neon manages to get the details in without going to shouty territory, and yet being quite a chill laid back tuning that one can use for hours without fatigue. Think of a monitoring type analytical sound signature with good details, in fact I think the Neon can be a good entry level stage monitor due to its isolation, good fit and good technicalities.

I have an admission to make, I'm not a single BA fan. I'm a single DD guy for general music listening, as they tend to give better timbral accuracy and tonality/coherency at the budget/midfi CHIFI segment, when compared to multi BA sets. Single BA types also tend to lack subbass and may be weaker in technicalities, when compared to multi BA/hybrids, as expected of a single BA physics limitation. Even if I do use multi BA types, I use them for stage monitoring exclusively, due to their better isolation (generally unvented) and better technicalities than DD types.

However, despite my biasedness against single BA sets, the Neon is a set I think is a keeper, as it shines in vocals and acoustic genres. Granted, midcentric tunings are niche, and due to the lack of subbass, the Neon won't fair well for bass forward music eg EDM, but the Neon is really suited for mid and vocal lovers. There are not many midcentric sets in budget CHIFI (most are V shaped or harmanish), the 2 cheapest midcentric ones I have are the Hisenior B5+ ($80 USD) and the SMABAT X1 ($49 USD), and I think those 2 sets have worse peaks/troughs in the tuning. I have a Westone UM1 single BA set and the Neon beats the daylights out of them in timbre, tonality and technicalities, for a fraction of the price, that's how good CHIFI tuning has evolved the past couple of years. Anyways most of us in this hobby have a few pairs of IEMs lying about, to suit different sonic signatures and music genres, and I think for those who don't have a midcentric set in your Pokemon collection, the Neon is a worthy set to try, or if someone is looking for an entry level stage monitor.

Thanks for the post, got alot of useful info out of it, especially the part about the shortcomings of single BA vs other driver combinations, alot of stuff I didn't know in there.

May 25, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #1,733 of 2,441
Hi folks.

Recently Ive been robbed, and someone gets my Fiio btr3k and my lovely Kbear diamond.
I read that they are discontinued, anyone knows any store to buy them again?
O where to get the kbear believe?

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,734 of 2,441
Hi folks.

Recently Ive been robbed, and someone gets my Fiio btr3k and my lovely Kbear diamond.
I read that they are discontinued, anyone knows any store to buy them again?
O where to get the kbear believe?
Here you go.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210525001642&SearchText=fiio+btr3k

Kbear Diamond. Hurry up! The only shop I found on Aliexpress selling this IEM.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265094935137?hash=item3db8e3b261:g:~tcAAOSw97dfrVjU

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...archlistbrand.list.35.31ee7093AVBC33&search=1

The BELIEVE discontinued and currently unavailable. Try to buy a used one. Check out often the HeadFi Classifieds. I saw one three weeks ago...
We hope Kbear will bring back this model to the market in the future.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,735 of 2,441
Here you go.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210525001642&SearchText=fiio+btr3k

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...archlistbrand.list.35.31ee7093AVBC33&search=1

The BELIEVE discontinued and currently unavailable. Try to buy a used one. Check out often the HeadFi Classifieds. I saw one three weeks ago...
Only 53% positive feedback on that Ali store for the diamond.

May 25, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,736 of 2,441
Here you go.

Thanks for respond mate.
I've lready bought a btr5 for 60 euros (used one)
I check that store an open a chat... But not answer and they have bad evaluations. Keep looking šŸ˜‰

May 25, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,738 of 2,441

Thanks for the impressions! Man, this is kinda tempting too. I'm a sucker for bullet style earphones and I like mid centric sets. The red and blue transparent housing is right up my alley too. But.. i sort of have no real need for it. lol.

May 26, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #1,740 of 2,441
The light is spectacular, changeable, and mysterious.
Could you use one sentence to describe this attractive scene?

#kbear #aurora #light

1.jpg
With Aurora, the wonderments of sound are infinite and real.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back