KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Mar 11, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #1,501 of 2,441
One thing I must say about the KS1 is that it excels at picking up the ambience of the room it was recorded in. The reverb on these bad boys is absolutely on point. The timbre too is something to behold. It's not quite a BL03 beater in that regard (the BL03 has a unique tubey coloration but the KS1 has if anything greater accuracy of timbre) but it's cheaper and easier to drive properly than the BL03 is.

I've perhaps sounded a bit negative about the KS1, but it's a really good little IEM. If I had picked it up before my multitude of BLON IEMs I would probably sound more positive. To my ears it's better than the Blonana (slightly less v shaped, bass isn't quite so intrusive) but not as likeable (it has better soundstage and technicalities) as the BL03 and not as good all round as the BL05S (my favourite IEM of all)

all of the BLONs are more expensive than KS1

so KS is a small giant killer then?

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,503 of 2,441
all of the BLONs are more expensive than KS1

so KS is a small giant killer then?

I guess but the term "giant killer" is overused sometimes. The BL03 had a gorgeous timbre that was unmatched by more expensive sets, and thus it was more loveable, but was it better? Heck no.

The KS1 does fulfil the needs of someone who wants a BL03 but who only uses a phone to drive it and worries about the fit. It doesn't quite match the timbre and the mid is a tad more recessed but it's close on both counts. Reading the reviews of later BL03 buyers, I've often suspected that later ones sound different to early ones. Possibly the KS1 sounds even more like the later revisions

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,504 of 2,441
I am warming to the KS1. OOTB it was too warm and ill-defined. After a couple of days it has improved greatly. V shaped with big bass, mid-bass emphasis and lower treble also emphasised, but it has a very appealing vinyl-like sound. Staging is not huge but the height is good and there is a good sense of space and ambience. Very easy to listen to and no fatigue. I prefer these to BL-03 and BL-01 which sound sluggish in comparison. Another success for KBEAR!

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #1,505 of 2,441
I am warming to the KS1. OOTB it was too warm and ill-defined. After a couple of days it has improved greatly. V shaped with big bass, mid-bass emphasis and lower treble also emphasised, but it has a very appealing vinyl-like sound. Staging is not huge but the height is good and there is a good sense of space and ambience. Very easy to listen to and no fatigue. I prefer these to BL-03 and BL-01 which sound sluggish in comparison. Another success for KBEAR!
btw try to plug it to DAC for more power, I am using my BTR5 the difference is quiet noticeable. Especially in the new Imagine Dragon "Follow you" and Gwen Stefani "Slow Clap"

I just can't believe what I hear. I am loving this better than my ZAX or CCA. It's definitely a fun IEM.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,506 of 2,441
btw try to plug it to DAC for more power, I am using my BTR5 the difference is quiet noticeable. Especially in the new Imagine Dragon "Follow you" and Gwen Stefani "Slow Clap"

I just can't believe what I hear. I am loving this better than my ZAX or CCA. It's definitely a fun IEM.

Single DDs done well are a thing of beauty. All of my favourite sets are single DD, even though technically I have "better" hybrids and with some songs the Tin P1 are just unbeatable.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,507 of 2,441
Single DDs done well are a thing of beauty. All of my favourite sets are single DD, even though technically I have "better" hybrids and with some songs the Tin P1 are just unbeatable.

Agreed, although great DAP DAC is also needed. I hit a jackpot with BTR5. Everything you plugged into BTR5 just sounds heavenly and it does bring the optimal ability of each IEM out...

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #1,509 of 2,441
have you ever tried a hearing aid drying device? I got one after purchasing a set of customs fearing moisture down the tubes. After a long listening session, drop them in let it cycle and it dehumidifies and does a UV scrub also. Been happy with the result and all my in ears get the treatment whether they need it or not
Agreed! Many pelple who use hearing aid device also use hearing aid cleaner devices too. Be it jar + drying capsule or UV cleaner.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,510 of 2,441
Just received a KBEAR KS1. They look like some Stormtrooper armour!

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-13 at 20.44.24.jpeg

V shaped tunings are dime a dozen in budget CHIFI sets, but the KS1 is a well tuned V shaped set. Not the usual boomy bass or sibilance fest type V shaped gear we see released on a weekly basis. Tonally good, timbre is good too, very natural and organic. Technicalities like microdetails and imaging are perhaps below average compared to multi BA/hybrids at the budget segment, but for the price, this is a good set to just kick back and relax and listen to the music for what it is. It is a V shaped set though, so midlovers best consider alternatives as the mids can be a tinge too hollow, but this is dependent on source too.

At the same price bracket, I think the main competitors would be the BLON single DD sets.
- I actually like the KS1 more than the overly hyped BLON BL-01. Tonality is similar between the 2 sets actually, but the BLON BL-01 has an atrocious fit, and the BLON BL-01 needs amping to scale to its optimum. I see some folks on audio forums and facebook recommending $200 USD sources/amps for the BLON BL-01 to get it sounding good, that's talking about a source that costs 10 times the IEM, and the clientiele at this price segment probably aren't so hardcore to dive into a source that costs that much! A lot are also recommending to swap cables and eartips on the BLON BL-01 just to get it to sound better or fit better (which adds to the cost). Thankfully, the KS1 doesn't need these aftermarket stuff, it works well OOTB in terms of fit and sound, and can be driven on a low powered smartphone.
- From a brief comparison against the venerable BLON BL-03, I would consider them sidegrades. The BLON BL-03 is more bassy with a slower bass. Timbre is probably more analoguish on the BLON BL-03, but have to do further A/B testing between the 2 to compare technicalities (thought for sure both ain't technicalities tour de force sets). BLON BL-03 of course is infamous for having a crap fit and most people require aftermarket cables/tips to get a proper fit, so the BLON BL-03 IMHO actually is not a sub $30 IEM but closer to $40 - 50 USD if aftermarket gear is factored in.

TLDR:
The KS1 is a good set for those new to this hobby, it has an organic timbre and tonality, a well done V shaped tuning. It is a useful beginner set, especially for those who don't want to mess around with sources, tip rolling or cable rolling, and just use it OOTB. But perhaps those who are recalcitrant CHIFI addicts who own higher end gear, you will have heard something with better technicalities, but for 20 bucks, this set is really not too bad.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #1,511 of 2,441
- From a brief comparison against the venerable BLON BL-03, I would consider them sidegrades. The BLON BL-03 is more bassy with a slower bass.
Good thing I never bought the BL-03 😅. I find the KS1's bass quantity to be "borderline too much" for my taste. Excitedly waiting for your full review 😁

Technicalities like microdetails and imaging are perhaps below average compared to multi BA/hybrids at the budget segment, but for the price, this is a good set to just kick back and relax and listen to the music for what it is.
I guess I really do need to get an all-BA/hybrid IEM as all I have are single-DD (with the exception of the DQ6, but still pure-DD). Currently looking at the BQEYZ KC2, TRN TA1, KB Ear Lark, and a banned tribrid.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,512 of 2,441
Good thing I never bought the BL-03 😅. I find the KS1's bass quantity to be "borderline too much" for my taste. Excitedly waiting for your full review 😁

I guess I really do need to get an all-BA/hybrid IEM as all I have are single-DD (with the exception of the DQ6, but still pure-DD). Currently looking at the BQEYZ KC2, TRN TA1, KB Ear Lark, and a banned tribrid.

If u find an IEM is too bassy, there are a few options to tame down the bass:
1) EQ - though I know some purists will refuse to touch the EQ button haha.
2) Wide bore silicone ear tips instead of narrow bore. Avoid foam tips too, which tend to tame treble and the ear perceives the music as a whole and it sounds bassier.
3) Use brighter sources.

Yeah maybe for a budget entry level hybrid, you can consider those sets you mentioned, they are pretty well regarded. At the budget segment, the multi BA/hybrids generally have better technical performance (ie instrument separation, imaging, details) versus budget single DD types, but they may suffer from timbre, tonality or cross over issues sometimes. So different strokes for different folks, multi BA/hybrids may fare better for certain music genres actually.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #1,513 of 2,441
If u find an IEM is too bassy, there are a few options to tame down the bass:
1) EQ - though I know some purists will refuse to touch the EQ button haha.
2) Wide bore silicone ear tips instead of narrow bore. Avoid foam tips too, which tend to tame treble and the ear perceives the music as a whole and it sounds bassier.
3) Use brighter sources.

With reference to:

1) I guess I am not a purist, I use EQ to discover the capabilities of the drivers, it is good fun.

2) A pain until you find the ideal tips and all that pain is worth it.

3) Good and inexpensive way to tame bass is this Mpow Bluetooth receiver. It is not the most intuitive At £17 it is cheaper than most earphones, some dongles, DAC/Amps and DAPs but it will give you a lot of pleasure, if you want to restrain excessive bass and have good SQ. A must have in your arsenal at that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0827LWMWB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_25NEEX4BHEJJC7F5B21P

It is available on Amazon so if you don't like it just send it back.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,514 of 2,441
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #1,515 of 2,441

Users who are viewing this thread

Back