Kansas meet 1/10/09, Hold on to your organs!
Jan 12, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 22
matajuro's pics of the back room make me more interested in the organ company than the headphones! Interesting place. More impressions plz.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 22
The tour of the organ company must have been a blast and quite educational as well. But I'm surprised you didn't do a tour of Martin Logan as well. I'm assuming that they're still in Lawrence.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 22
Looks like a lot of fun!
biggrin.gif

All those pipes...

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by matajuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer you will have to be more specific there were many stax amps there paste the link and some one will tell you.

DIY one with the 4 white output capacitors which the Sigma Pro's are connected to in the pictures.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 22
Spritzer, that would be the McAlister EA-1. The other STAX amp was a SRM-313. There were also a couple normal bias SRD adapters.

The McAlister EA-1 was scratchy sounding. The SRM-313 drove the SR-Sigma Pro far better than I thought it would.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain with a little more detail. I'm guessing it sounded like some odd little distortions on the trailing edges of certain instruments.....am I correct ?

I'm not quite sure if any of the McAlister amps have ever functioned properly so this could be a design issue. Looking inside one of these amps is a lesson in what terrible build quality looks like...
eek.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 22
Here's a link to the McAlister Audio website: McAlister Audio - Vacuum tube power amplifiers, High End Audio, Tube Amps

It seems that the EA-1 has been discontinued and replaced by the EA-8.

The EA-1 was a bit scratchy during normal playback and really scratchy when changing the volume.

The McAlister dynamic headphone amp, PL-10B, didn't display any issues and sounded great with the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back