Kanen KM-805
May 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cheapophile

New Head-Fier
Having read good things about the cheap Kanen MD52 IEM on this forum I could'nt resist going out searching for it. After all I'm a non-audiophile poor guy looking for some decent IEM to complement my second hand zen. My first IEM the panasonic HJE200 is simply too harsh sounding for me.

So i went to this shop and searched high and low for the MD52, and to my disappointment there was no such model. I did find a few other Kanen IEMs and out of desperation i grab a cheap one with a nice packaging for about USD10. Went home, plugged it into my zen then my ears. wow comfortable, BUT bloody hell! the overwhelming and bloated bass totally shadowed everything else. i decided to give it another try a couple of days later and surprisingly the bass was deep, vocals were clear and the hi's present. The soundstage was beautifully wide! Turns out I didnt push them deep into my ears the first time around. I highly recommend this IEM to ppl with little cash to spare.

more info here
Kanen

This is a n00b review but for 10 bucks what'd u got to lose? cheers!
bigsmile_face.gif

May 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by anna_1104 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kanon MD-52 Premium IEM earphones

There are the MD-52s, for future reference...

Well I bough a couple of them there last year and no problems.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also here a nice alternative link, same seller:
http://us.three.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=15112035&mo=auction

I am properly the biggest fan of Kanen around here.
From what I know Kanen did released in Oct. 2008 two phones which should deliver more clear balanced sound - KM-803 and KM-805.

Nice to hear you like your phones, but your first impressions is more against that what Kanen is promising. I don’t think they are the one for my liking either.
I have a few ones already with same impression, the MC-701 i think but the sound was not that well.
I have been a long time thinking about try out the KM-803 instead. The design looks more nice and promising in my eyes, just I haven’t found them yet in nice black color.
tongue.gif

May 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi Sayajin- Based on your review of the MD-52, I bought one off of ebid last week and it is incredible for $7. Good, cheap earphone with bright detail and solid bass. Sibilance is still an issue at the moment, but I'm hoping it will mellow with use. Comfortable fit and great seal, too! Even if it falls apart in a couple of months, it's worth $7. Thanks for the info!

May 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sayajin- Based on your review of the MD-52, I bought one off of ebid last week and it is incredible for $7. Good, cheap earphone with bright detail and solid bass. Sibilance is still an issue at the moment, but I'm hoping it will mellow with use. Comfortable fit and great seal, too! Even if it falls apart in a couple of months, it's worth $7. Thanks for the info!

Nice, good for you. The sound doesn’t really belongs to that price range, right
smily_headphones1.gif

They do sound little sibilance for me too in some cases but that’s defiantly less than what I did feel with the Soundmagic PL30.
I don’t know of burn-in might help but try anyway. Perhaps they will drop a little if you lucky.
Working with your EQ is also helpful if you have it.

The “fall apart” issue is actually really a problem and that’s why I will not just recommend these right away. I have preferred them to several members but they weren’t that lucky like you and found them lacking build or perhaps sound, not to mentor myself a few times. I think have bought now 4 of these already (gotta buy some more lol) and 2 of them did not sound well out of the box.

I like to see Kanen bring out a similar or maybe better sounding product but with better build because mostly other iem’s I have been trying actually got way better than MD-52 but sad do not carry the same nice sound
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back